By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Maybe the wii is a fad -recent plunge in NA numbers

best.thread.ever.period.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

In all seriousness, it looks like 350k may be right around the sustainable weekly rate of sales.

Maybe we'll see a significant bump next week if Nintendo has in fact been keeping stock within its distribution channels (not technically stock piling, just not yet delivered to retailers). But this goes contrary to the official word from Nintendo (we are at full production capacity) and retail trackers (we are sold out of Wii). Nintendo is currently going on 4 weeks of retail sales below the average weekly production based upon the official 1.8min/month rate. By about 300k units. Hardly an insignificant number.

While 350k/wk is not quite on par with the fan-riffic predictions that have been common here, for the off peak post holiday season, that is successful by any measure ever set by a console in industry history. Especially for one that still has the same MSRP as it did upon release.

The fact that a typical consumer can't drive to the local retail outlet and buy one off the shelf as well as the continued scalping on E-bay are testament that demand still outstrips supply; something that Nintendo has stated is a key issue they will address in 2008. With an estimated 1bn in lost sales last year, it is in their best interest to do so.  

Then again, 350k might represent weekly Wii sales with the bump from Brawl (which will probably be the best seller on the console). As it's been theorized, the bump from Brawl may not have been significant because it was a game a sizable portion of the Wii user base has been waiting for (about 1:3.3 will most likely end up buying this). As in, most already had a Wii, assuming they could find one to buy.

I can guarantee the number of people waiting to buy a Wii after a price reduction is minimal. By far outstripped by the number of people who still can't find one at retail price. As long as this situation remains, there will be no price drop. If people find one on shelves, and they had an interest in buying one, they have no problem paying $250 for one. The price is very accessible even though it's not the traditional "mass market" price below $200.

The wii is worth 99$

ppl are waiting for a price drop.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

weezy said:
The wii is worth 99$

ppl are waiting for a price drop. 

Believe it or not, that was the original price Nintendo was shooting for when the Wii was still on paper. Productions costs (when it debuted) were estimated to be just under $200 for the combined parts (ie $30 for DVD drive, $31 for GPU, $25 for CPU, etc.) and including about $19 and change in assembly costs. The costs are undoubtedly much lower now considering the volume of parts Nintendo has been buying. 

People can wait until they're free. But they will keep waiting until demand has been met which most likely not happen in 2008. 

No one gets a discount on a car that dealers can mark up at a premium. While retailers can't charge premiums for a hot item (but they can do bundles which Nintendo discourages), as long as they move at full price, there will be no price drop.  

Around the Network

The DS is also a fad

What are you looking at, nerd?

This thread is pure awesome.
I love Phoenix_34's Piranha Plant gif.
This post is a bookmark.
http://91.121.71.200/gifs/3506.gif

$99 Wii? That's barely enough for ONE Gamecube and duct tape.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

THe wii is a big

NES was a fad too. I mean, geez, it stopped selling DECADES ago.

tabsina said:
BenKenobi88 said:
redspear said:
Well until I can actually see Wiis sitting on the shelf in at least one store in my area(SF Bay area) for more than a day...or at least until I start seeing the intranets filled with pictures of Wiis in stock in the US which will happen when it is no longer supply constraint or at least until the PS3 or 360 outsells the Wii by itself for a sustained period of 3 weeks I am going to have to say that there si no sign of slowing down.

Don't you know? The store near Kwaad and Hus get a shipment of about 100 Wiis per day, and they just sit there, stacking higher and higher...

Well that'd just get dangerous after a week..

llewdebkram said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
weezy said:
I just sold my Wii because its not cool anymore

Sadly, that's all us Wii owners can do at this abysmal news.

I've just put black bags over our Wiis and painted PS3 on the side.

You may as well throw it out now... its useless, it is supposed to say "Playstation 3"... gosh!

oh..you are so wrong. It has to say "PLAYSTATION 3"

if it's not yelling at you in caps spidey font, its wrong. 

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com