By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How would you like to see Xbox use SmartGlass?

Tagged games:

I can't really think of anything that could improve gameplay that couldn't be done in game. To me, moving things to smart glass is akin to locking it off from the core customer.

That being said, I think a tablet using smartglass could open new opportunities to allow for better control of rts games.

Other than that, you'd have two inputs for a game and that seems unweildy. Why not, instead, use the snap-in function to show a map while playing? I feel like a lot of this can be solved with snap in. Why would I want to hold a controller, and then put it down, and then pick up my phone (using up battery power) to check a map, when I could jsut hit select and bring up a map>?
Additionally, with all those servers, couldn't you just have an app that is synced to your account so you could access all this stuff? I don't see why smartglass even needs to come into the picture. :/
Sry if it seems like I'm hating, it just feels like there are better alternatives.
(aside from rts. It's been way too long to see proper rts integration into consoles. Like, say for example, the total war series. Still pumped for an eventual Warhammer40k total war, now that sega owns warhammer40k)

Around the Network

Wouldn't it be cool if smartglass allowed another person in the room to take control of an AI opponent temporarily? That would give the smartglass user a different perspective that the player could not see. Also, maybe some of the fights/battles with AI's wouldn't be so easy or redundant.

Zappykins said:

techhunter80 said:

I really see it being used by kids, mainly because their parents would want to give them something to do while they play a single-player game. Or they're playing a multiplayer match but don't want to leave the match because their kids come in saying "I want to play  __!".

That's a really good ideas.  There are just so many times you can give them an unplugged controller before they figure it out.

But then wouldn't that just be a tablet game?  Or are they part of the game too?

I would imagine them being part of the game but not being a big part of it. Like with New Super Mario Bros U, you can play the game while someone else helps you out on the tablet controller. 

Things that come in my mind are:

> RTS control, you see a the whole map on your tablet and then can select units, gives orders etc...
> Game like Project Spark, to "draw" and move stuff around
> Map editor
> Mapping tool is a great idea. Being able to add persistent notes too etc...
> Inventory browsing
> Second screen for a second player maybe with a different perspective of the game :)

Smartglass/tablet apps can't be used in a meaningful way that doesn't remove the immersion of the game. But what it can do is provide connectivity when you are not playing the game.

Around the Network

I haven't read anything in that post yet so I might post some ideas that have been said

-most evident as portable device in game (like DR3) have your phone or tablet or PC be the phone tablet or PC of the game so you can use it naturally without hitting a start button or whatnot
-Map for RPG or sand boxes
-menus in general for RPG inventory, quest list etc
-mini games and puzzles in games (could have been useful in bioshock hacks)
-augmented reality camera for gadgets in games like batman or splinter cell I'm sure they can work something with the Kinect sensor and smartglass and the different sensors in a smartphone
-maybe a companion app for a different kind of co op play in certain games (for dirt racers it could be the co pilot paper board of the next turns and all,)
-in game management support when away from home for F2P management games or stuff like that
-could also allow local multiplayer on card games like poker, uno, magic the gathering etc....
-all kind of board games could use an extra screen if each player can use their phone with smart glass... we could see nice digital paper RPG reborn... like AD&D with nice animation and story telling on the main screen and your own character stuff on the phone
-could have massive RTS session with that too... you handle your base camp on a tablet and have a planet size or even galactic size battle field on screen and other advantages....
-playbook, squad formation and management for sports games
-movie or music streaming to a smartglass enable devices (watch a movie played on the XB1 BR disk while someones watches TV or even plays a game (DD) if it's doable resource wise)

the problem with some of these ideas are it would require to have the right device and therefor it will probably never come to life...

but they could pretty much move anything that requires to pause the game or live the main screen focus of the game to the smartglass and add nice little enhancement with the Kinect smartglass combo....

landguy1 said:
Wouldn't it be cool if smartglass allowed another person in the room to take control of an AI opponent temporarily? That would give the smartglass user a different perspective that the player could not see. Also, maybe some of the fights/battles with AI's wouldn't be so easy or redundant.

That would be really cool.  I think the WiiU does that, or is supposed to do that for some games.

I can imagine, sort of like how Dance Centreal 3 has a 'make your own' challenges for your friends.  But you could customize a boss fight.  I can impaging people making challenges and then laughing with a good, "Mu ha ha"

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

JoeTheBro said:
As a wii U owner, I really don't see why anyone in their right mind wants to use smartglass while playing the game on the big screen. This is already awkward enough when that screen is right between your hands. Having it propped up on a table will be much worse. Only good use of smartglass at home is menu navigation and text entry. I do that a lot with smartglass 1.0

Outside of the house though, that is when it has potential. Managing the system and games or playing unique parts of games.

wrong I already have been using my phone or my tablet for years as an extra screen while playing for maps, location mark, quests (description) and I know for a fact that I would use it heavily for inventory management and pretty much anything needing to pause the game... I could do that on the go.... meaning I could keep walking in fallout while picking my new skills and stats instead of pausing and wasting time...
but that might be awkward for some.... but that's like kinect... some people will never see the point and/or enjoy it other will love it.... I love to multi task I have been multi screen using for more than 2 decades.... either for work or for entertainement gaming while watching TV, gaming while surfing on wikis of the game, gaming while watching TV..... and all that with the radio on sometimes :)
(I know I'm mad)

theprof00 said:
I can't really think of anything that could improve gameplay that couldn't be done in game. To me, moving things to smart glass is akin to locking it off from the core customer.

That being said, I think a tablet using smartglass could open new opportunities to allow for better control of rts games.

Other than that, you'd have two inputs for a game and that seems unweildy. Why not, instead, use the snap-in function to show a map while playing? I feel like a lot of this can be solved with snap in. Why would I want to hold a controller, and then put it down, and then pick up my phone (using up battery power) to check a map, when I could jsut hit select and bring up a map>?
Additionally, with all those servers, couldn't you just have an app that is synced to your account so you could access all this stuff? I don't see why smartglass even needs to come into the picture. :/
Sry if it seems like I'm hating, it just feels like there are better alternatives.
(aside from rts. It's been way too long to see proper rts integration into consoles. Like, say for example, the total war series. Still pumped for an eventual Warhammer40k total war, now that sega owns warhammer40k)

true for maps I didn't think of snap.... but still snap eats up on screen realestate which I don't really like, for in out to figure out ok, but to keep open at all time I'd rather have it on an extra screen like I already do today.... plus the format of the side snap is not really practicle for clear map view....

but for the reste like inventory or any menus you have in any games I'd rather have it on a touch device that doesn't require me to get out of the game by pressing back or pause or whatever are the name of those new button....

pretty much anything that requires to leave the game main focus should be deported on the second screen.... and anything that is more convenient with touch should be also....

areason said:
Smartglass/tablet apps can't be used in a meaningful way that doesn't remove the immersion of the game. But what it can do is provide connectivity when you are not playing the game.

I completely desagree on that.... pressing a pause button to go to maps or inventory or character stat, squad formation etc is way less immersive (for me) than using a second screen to do that either to dissociate a non realistic thing in a game or to actually make use of the in game phone or tech device on your actual device now that's immersion.... my phone being my omnitool menu in ME, my GTA phone etc....
or I can play it RP and I imagine my phone being a parchement with a map on it in dragon age instead of popping that magic menu out of nowhere....
I always thought those menus where killing the game atmosphere but where a necessary evil.... now on my reviews game that won't use smartglass to avoid those akward moments if you want will lose points on the gameplay note and global note.... and reviewer should do the same instead of always keeping the same standards....