By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What does more power give you between X1 and PS4

NYCrysis said:

I already have a gaming rig but it's mostly for multiplat SP games. I hate playing online on my pc cause I hate using m+kb so I get owned using a controller and most of my friends play on playstation so that too that's what I have my console for. 

Props to you! I actually never thought about the online aspect. Most people blatantly state they hate the keyboard and mouse and really give no reasonings why, that's a very valid one that I never thought of. :)

the-pi-guy said:

PCs don't really have generations.  I just hate it when people compare consoles to PCs.  It's unimaginably pointless.  What about super computers?  If people were making games for super computers, it would bulldozer over any PC dozens of times over without even trying.  The thing with PCs, is that there is a large variety of systems and no limit for cost, unlike a console.  PCs are like trees, they can continue growing as much as they want and will for as long as they can.  Consoles are like trees cut down and made into desks.  They aren't going to change.  They're both very good at what they do, but they are very different.

I never stated the PC did have generations, not directly at any rate.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Don't know .. . don't care. Both machines look impressive, and I expect great stuff from them both. I couldn't care less about the gap - however big or small. As long as multiplatform games are not gimped on my platform of choice I'm happy, and for the other platform as well. It would be good if people didn't have to experience gimped versions of a game, irrespective of their preferred platform.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Pemalite said:
NYCrysis said:

I already have a gaming rig but it's mostly for multiplat SP games. I hate playing online on my pc cause I hate using m+kb so I get owned using a controller and most of my friends play on playstation so that too that's what I have my console for. 

Props to you! I actually never thought about the online aspect. Most people blatantly state they hate the keyboard and mouse and really give no reasonings why, that's a very valid one that I never thought of. :)

I can aim with a mouse but I am trash at walking using a keyboard and I could never get used to it. Recently I tried using a move navigation controller on the pc using ds3 tool but still no dice it was next to impossible trying to use both at the same time (software and compatability issues).

Imaginedvl said:
NYCrysis said:

Too bad you can't rebuttlal my wall of hate I really wanted to see what ur counterargument would have been :( 
Sorry if my wall of hate offended ur precious xbone. ur precious xbone is still bad though :( 

rofl Repeat what I said and replacing PS4 by Xbox One... That's all you can do, ishh :)
And frankly, arguing with "smell like M$ marketing to me"? You really want anyone to waste time arguing with someone saying pathetic stuff like that? 

Dude, just go play on PC if " having the best possible "graphics" is sooooo important to you.

I did that one on purpose ;)

It's ok to admit that u can't rebuttal my statements ;)

NYCrysis said:
Imaginedvl said:
NYCrysis said:

Too bad you can't rebuttlal my wall of hate I really wanted to see what ur counterargument would have been :( 
Sorry if my wall of hate offended ur precious xbone. ur precious xbone is still bad though :( 

rofl Repeat what I said and replacing PS4 by Xbox One... That's all you can do, ishh :)
And frankly, arguing with "smell like M$ marketing to me"? You really want anyone to waste time arguing with someone saying pathetic stuff like that? 

Dude, just go play on PC if " having the best possible "graphics" is sooooo important to you.

I did that one on purpose ;)

It's ok to admit that u can't rebuttal my statements ;)

Alright,I'm out to play some Halo on 360! Take care :)

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:

"Well for starters, the best looking games this generation wasn't even on the PS3 or Xbox 360, it was on the PC."

It was definitely implied.  

A new generation of consoles should improve PC graphics also.  They aren't going to be held back by 7 or 8 year old consoles.  Graphics can be a very important thing for people.  I can think of dozens of games that wouldn't have been as good if graphics didn't improve to allow 3D.  So it's not like buying a new console for improved graphics is a ridiculous concept even compared to PCs.  Consoles are more powerful than PCs priced at the same, PS4 was estimated to be a 500 or 600$ PC.  This is without even adding the benefits of it being a console.  According to John Carmack, consoles give about twice as much as a PC at the same specs.

I can simply add one word to that and say: "The best looking games this console generation wasn't even on the PS3 or Xbox 360, it was on the PC."
Thus, you have taken it out of context.

If you want to get into cost, remember... Online gaming is free, games are significantly cheaper.
Over an entire consoles life, if you bought 100 games, you could have literally save thousands in software purchases by going with the PC. - That easily makes up for the hardware cost in my eyes.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
the-pi-guy said:

"Well for starters, the best looking games this generation wasn't even on the PS3 or Xbox 360, it was on the PC."

It was definitely implied.  

A new generation of consoles should improve PC graphics also.  They aren't going to be held back by 7 or 8 year old consoles.  Graphics can be a very important thing for people.  I can think of dozens of games that wouldn't have been as good if graphics didn't improve to allow 3D.  So it's not like buying a new console for improved graphics is a ridiculous concept even compared to PCs.  Consoles are more powerful than PCs priced at the same, PS4 was estimated to be a 500 or 600$ PC.  This is without even adding the benefits of it being a console.  According to John Carmack, consoles give about twice as much as a PC at the same specs.

I can simply add one word to that and say: "The best looking games this console generation wasn't even on the PS3 or Xbox 360, it was on the PC."
Thus, you have taken it out of context.

If you want to get into cost, remember... Online gaming is free, games are significantly cheaper.
Over an entire consoles life, if you bought 100 games, you could have literally save thousands in software purchases by going with the PC. - That easily makes up for the hardware cost in my eyes.

Yes but you'll probably have to upgrade during the gen and can't get exclusives

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

You will not notice inherent graphics differences in the games. Whatever differences there will be will be marginal and not important.

What IS important is how the architecture makes developing EASIER, not prettier. PS4's RAM is certainly fast, but I'm far more interested in how developers will be able to make games faster, smoother, and just flat out better thanks to the easier architecture.

Desktop: AMD Phenom X4 955, ATI Radeon 7950 :: Laptop: Intel i7-3532QM, ATI Radeon 7670m

Consoles: 3DS XL, PS Vita, Zelda 3DS, PS3 Super Slim, DSi, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, Wii, GameCube, PS2

Now Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Persona 4: Golden

Imaginedvl said:
Nothing, just some bragging here and there :)

Considering the gap is a decent amount bigger than that between the PS3 and 360, of which we can see a pretty clear differences in their exclusives, I'd say it counts for a bit more than bragging right :P As for multi plats though, I doubt it'll count for much at all. Maybe a slightly higher or more stable fps for the PS4 version, but nobody is likely to notice without playing both.

Well, like others have said the difference between the PS3 and the Xbox 360.

But it is a little more complected than just the GPU and the other hardware differences. The Xbox One will use DirectX 11.2 (something) the PS4 will use OpenGL (and/or possible license a DirectX 11 from Microsoft) OpenGL used to be the better platform, but in my opinion since around DirectX 6, the DX version has been better. (The original Xbox is DirectX 8, the X360 DX is 9C.)

The later Uncharted's look great, but so does Halo 4. They are both pushing those great graphics on the older systems. (I am looking forward to Halo 5 at 60fps.)

Visually, I think we will have things similar to this gen, where we have a visibly noticeable less powerful WiiU and the visibly about the same 1080P HD Twins.

As far as PC's, they sort of have their own generation. Yes, we get better hardware - more goddies, better frame rates, etc. but that's trimmings. We will probably not see huge increases until DirectX 12, which is probably not coming out till Windows 9. Which is probably at least a few years away.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!