By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Shuhei Yoshida Shares How You Can Grab Free PS Plus Games for PS4 Even Without Owning a PS4 and More

by Giuseppe Nelva Aug 11th 2013 1:00AM 6

When a game goes free on PlayStation Plus you have a limited time to grab it before it rotates out of the instant game collection. If you don’t, you miss your chance. On the other hand if you secure the game while it’s on offer, it’ll be yours as long as you’re an active PlayStation Plus subscriber.

This poses the question: what if you don’t intend to purchase a PS4 at launch, but you still want to secure the free PS4 games offered by PlayStation Plus before they get phased out? Turns out that you can via the PSN web store, as shared by Sony Worldwide Studio President Shuhei Yoshida on Twitter:

As an unrelated but interesting note, Yoshida-san also mentioned that cross-platform gameplay between PS3 and PS4 is theoretically possible, but its implementation depends on the publisher of each game.

It’s quite interesting to see that Sony doesn’t intend to put restrictions bound to the ownership of a PS4 to getting the free game on PS Plus, but it should come as no real surprise, considering that the publisher has gone above and beyond the call of duty to make the offer compelling, and will probably redouble that effort in the future, in light of the PS Plus requirement for online gaming on the PlayStation 4.

That said, you’ve been warned. If you’re a PS Plus subscriber but want to hold back on buying a PS4 until a while after launch, you better make sure you grab the free PS4 games timely when they get included in the instant game collection. When you’ll finally grab the console, you’ll be happy you did. May also want to do the same with PS Vita games if you don’t own one, since you can already do that.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/08/11/shuhei-yoshida-shares-how-you-can-grab-free-ps-plus-games-for-ps4-even-without-a-ps4-and-more/

Around the Network

what's the news here? i think this should be clear, since they did the same with vita.

must-have-list for platforms i don't own yet:

WiiU: Donkey Kong

XBone: Dead Rising 3, Ryse

That's awesome! I was interested in getting Driveclub.

Proud gamer of Nintendo and Sony consoles since 2003.

MrUnagi said:

Isn't it more like a demo version of Drive Club?

nothing new

i grabbed a lot of PS vita games before i buying it.

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

Around the Network

It's not a surprise, yeah, but it's still good to know for sure and some people might not have realized it. Anyone even thinking about a Vita should be grabbing the free games when they come up.

Soleron said:
MrUnagi said:

Isn't it more like a demo version of Drive Club?

its not.

its more like a light version.

without a few tracks and cars however you can finish the game.

the difference wil be more like MK9 standard editon to Komplet edition

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

I plan to utilize this to the fullest.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

this is pretty neat!

I already do that with Vita.