By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UNITY - Nintendo & Wii U Finish The REVOLUTION

richardhutnik said:

Nintendo has missed the mark before.  The N64 and Gamecube both ended up losing in the market, despite Nintendo having said "magic" that you claim.  And having less horsepower is NOT a plus.  Having enough, and the right price point can be though.  The XBox ONE, for example, is more expensive and less powerful than the PS4.

But there is a question with the Wii U whether or not it has enough horsepower, or the second screen is enough of a differentiator.  As it is now, the second screen isn't appealing enough to people, not is it for me.  Heck, I tried and tried and tried the second screen a number of times in demo units in stores, and see almost NO compelling reason to get a Wii U.  It just doesn't do anything for me.  I thought it might, but it just didn't.  The Wii was a different animal, and looked like fun to me actually, as it did a lot of other people, the Wii U doesn't.  Heck, even the said 3D differentiator of the 3DS isn't really that much interest to other people at all.  The 3D ended up a gimmick.  The price point is why the 3DS sells, and it doing some nice other incremental updates.  The Vita blows it on price actually.  And the Wii U, if it was that desirable, the MAIN feature of the second screen, it would be selling well now, and it is not.  It is struggling, along with the Vita.  And, the second screen better be a selling feature.  It is the main differentiator Nintendo has, and it has to work, the way motion control did.

The horsepower comes in, in regards to getting the next generation content.  if Bethesda doesn't feel the Wii U is worth the time, you don't get it.  You don't get EA other.  Ubisoft isn't doing any next gen stuff on the Wii U.  The Wii U is a late to the market current gen system, with a second screen.  It has 4 times less RAM than its competitors, and other inferior spects.  It follows the same path the ONE gets bashed for with its memory, and has less.

The thing you have BIG issues with, and your argument regarding power not mattering is that it can also mean THIS generation consoles get additional life to them.

And on the horsepower front, Android is coming on, at a lower price point.  And that is where the casuals went, onto portable devices, playing games as secondary features of their other devices.

I would have to say here also, you are missing the big picture.  The entire videogame industry could crash, pulling a version of the 1980s.  You could end up having the Wii U selling more, BUT the market shrinks.  Companies all bleed ink and and least one company leaves.  Nintendo hangs on, grabbing a larger piece of a marketspace that is getting smaller.  Congrats, you win, but it doesn't matter.  The future of gaming goes Android, and you are doomed personally.  Guess what, that is more likely to happen than Nintendo dominating at home again. 

I totally agree with the above.

I think the casual gamers that helped make the Wii a success have all moved on to playing Temple Run on their iPhones.

When they do a price drop, or after all the new Wii U games come out (to end its current software drought), sales will improve.  However in my opinion they will not reach Wii levels.

I could be totally wrong, and there are just millions of people who are sitting on the fence waiting to see what Microsoft and Sony have to offer before making a decision, but I don't think this is likely.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

On a sidenote, I thought you were going to predict a Wii U turnaround based on support from indie developers (Unity tools).

Thought the same thing... 

@John Your numbers seem to be inflated by a lot.

I'd say...

9m December 31, 2013

21m December 31, 2014

38m December 31, 2015

~80m lifetime sales

Nah man I predict 1 billion WiiU's sold LTD 240million is WAAAAY tooo low!

think-man said:

Nah man I predict 1 billion WiiU's sold LTD 240million is WAAAAY tooo low!

You are in the wrong place...  I believe you belong here.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250978/microsoft-xbox-360-to-sell-100m-next-gen-consoles-to-sell-1-billion/

I'd say Wii U at 7 million ending 2013.

Wii U has 5 more months to sell 2-3x the amount is has sold in 9 months by now to meet your predictions.

If Microsoft and Sony go down, then third parties will find another company to support.

Around the Network

Awesome read! Not sure if Wii U will be selling that many copies though :p

Oh & you want a number? Here's one for you: 12 million Wii U's sold by December 31, 2013.
Here's another: 35 million Wii U's sold by December 31, 2014.
Here's one more: 60 million Wii U's sold by December 31, 2015.
And one more for the road: 240 million LIFETIME Wii U sales.

Uhh what?

The Wii was a massive success right out of the gate. The WiiU has been out for nearly 9 months and the sales are disastrous thus far. It's getting beat  by the Vita. 3rd Party support is nearly nonexistant and it's only gonna get worse when Ubisoft gives up on it. The PS4 is only 50$ more and a whole hell of a lot more powerful. You didn't provide a single logical reason as to why the WiiU is going to sell 240 million consoles. The casuals are ignoring it, the hardcore crowd is ignoring it, who is left to buy the WiiU? The same guys who bought the N64 and the Gamecube. Nintendo gamers, I don't see this console selling more than 50 million units. Most of the Wii's market has moved onto tablets and phones. You're acting as if the market in 2013 is that same as it was in 2006.  

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:

Uhh what?

The Wii was a massive success right out of the gate. The WiiU has been out for nearly 9 months and the sales are disastrous thus far. It's getting beat  by the Vita. 3rd Party support is nearly nonexistant and it's only gonna get worse when Ubisoft gives up on it. The PS4 is only 50$ more and a whole hell of a lot more powerful. You didn't provide a single logical reason as to why the WiiU is going to sell 240 million consoles. The casuals are ignoring it, the hardcore crowd is ignoring it, who is left to buy the WiiU? The same guys who bought the N64 and the Gamecube. Nintendo gamers, I don't see this console selling more than 50 million units. Most of the Wii's market has moved onto tablets and phones. You're acting as if the market in 2013 is that same as it was in 2006.  

240 million is a reference to his old famous prediction. Not to be taken seriously.

Cobretti2 said:

i thought the U in wii U was all about you lol. Paraphrasing from what they said but it went something like "We brought you the Wii so we can all play together and now we can play together and YOU can play on your own too". Hence why we got the gamepad lol.

Well to that I'll just say this:

We = You + Me

Sounds like Unity to me.

It does everything Wii did PLUS more for those who are not apart of Wii.
But while they will begin off on their own, once they Unite they will become part of Wii's Universe, the U-Mii-verse, the You-Me-verse.

To be Universal means to be encompassing & complete.
Uni means One. Verse means to Turn. All those You's become You-Me's become We's in One Turn.
They will become 'US' & 'They' won't exist anymore.

Unity. Oneness. The Revolution's Mission.
The fight carries on.
John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

that is, without a single trace of doubt, the most insane text wall i have ever seen on this site.you are crazy