By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IF the original Wii was equal in power to Xbox 360 would Nintendo now be in a better position?

IF the original Wii was equal in power to Xbox 360 would Nintendo now be in a better position?

Yes 60 44.44%

No 62 45.93%

Don't Know? 13 9.63%

Total:135

You are questioning the strategy of the console that won the generation. Why?

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
RazorDragon said:
It would be better regarded on the internet, but it only sold the way it did because of it's price. If it was comparable to the 360 and had motion controllers, it would easily cost $600 just like the PS3 cost when it released, and would struggle to sell to anyone.

I knew plenty of people who'd have paid $300+ for a Wii in 2006 or 2007 when the system was sold out everywhere.

Price wasn't that big of a deal, I remember seeing people load up on Wii's at $250 + Wii Fit at $99 like it was nothing.

The reason the PS3 cost $600 was because they forced Blu-Ray into the system.

PS3 was actually being sold at a loss at $600. Anyway, Nintendo, at the time, didn't had money to lose on any new console they released. Wii's motion controller wasn't cheap, and with comparable hardware to the 360, you could easily expect Nintendo pricing it at $600 to not lose any money on the console. $300/$350 is still fairly low and reasonable price for a new console, but step above $450 and I bet Wii wouldn't have sold nearly as much as it did during 2006/2007. If they lost money on each Wii sold, of course you could have a $450 console like the 360 when it released, but just like MS, Nintendo would've been losing a lot of money on it.

Look at the Gamecube, 199$ at launch, cheaper than the other consoles and was competitive in terms of hardware power with the competition (more powerful than PS2, and just slightly less powerful than Xbox) I'm pretty sure that Nintendo with their expertise could have created hardware with at least programmable shaders and near the power of 360 at a reasonable price, along with the Wii Remote and motion control. They could have done it, but they were a bit foolish not to in one way. On the other hand, they made profit from the start, so they have a ton of money in their bank right now.

It's hard to say as the Wii wouldn't of been so cheap to start with. It might have attracted the core more though.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

MohammadBadir said:
why do you guys think 3rd party support would've been better? the GameCube was a shit ton more powerful than the PS2, but did it have 3rd party support? no

It had reasonable third party support for its first two years, but devs bailed once Nintendo's own IP couldn't get the job done in selling the machine (ie: Mario Sunshine and Zelda: WW notably).

Sony was also smart enough to use their one year headstart to lock up several key exclusives like the GTA series, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, MGS2/3, etc.

Around the Network

No, because that would mean the Wii would have been much more expensive at launch, plus giving away one of it's highest selling points. The Wii still had the motion controls thingy which was obviously the biggest selling point, but at higher price it wouldn't have had the impact it did.

As for the games, some few multiplats here and there, but nothing more.

Nintendo and PC gamer

That doesnt make any sense, N made billions with Wii, which puts them in the best posible position which is having bilions in da bank

If youre talking bout public opinion then is also a no. People didnt give a shit about GC and it was purely a powerful gaming machine.

Fusioncode said:
3rd Parties wouldn't have given up on the system so quickly so it would have sold longer rather than dropping off in the last couple of years. The WiiU would be in a lot better position since it would most likely launch along with the Xbone and PS4 with even hardware specs.

Because that worked for GameCube?

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

Nope. Nintendo succeeds or fails on their own merits.

You're philosophy concludes that Nintendo needs 3rd parties to be successful, however, history has proven time and time it again that when Nintendo caters to 3rd parties they fail or at least don't make nearly as much money.

I love 3rd party games and continuously have argued that Nintendo has to make moves to get their games on Nintendo hardware so they can pwn the competition, however, even when Nintendo does attempt to do what it can for 3rd parties, it still fails and they lost games there is legitimately no reason for Nintendo not to have.

So I've given up on that argument and focused on the only constant. If Nintendo makes quality games that are clearly "Nintendo" games, they will succeed and I'll still be happy either way. I just may need to pick up another console at some point to play other games I want too. That or upgrade my PC.

No. Nintendo would have more market share right now, but that $10 billion in the bank wouldn't be there. It amazes me how so many fail to grasp that Sony and MS's overpowered machines, while fine for gamers and 3rd parties, are terrible business decisions.