By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Better visuals? PSASBR or Super SMash Bros 3DS

Which one?

PSASBR 101 44.89%

SMASH! 110 48.89%

Neither (I post below) 14 6.22%

Total:225

Excuse me while I compare my PS3 to my Dreamcast...

Around the Network
geddie221 said:
Excuse me while I compare my PS3 to my Dreamcast...

this is a disscussion about handhelds tho, so you're going to have to compare it to the VMU :D

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:

PSASBR was designed on both Vita and ps3 alongside each other with the limitations of the vita in mind, sure it looks like the same game as on the ps3, but no one is going to suggest that the ps3 version is one of the lesser detailed of all the ps3 exclusives out there.

Sure that port of SSF4 on the 3ds is missing the animations of the backgrounds but at the same time, it was designed almost 3 years after it's HDtwin version and the 3ds's abilitys had no impact on the HD version of the game.

PSASBR was designed on PS3 and then a different developer took the PS3 build and ported it to Vita but this was done simultaneously. It wasn't built with Vita's limitations in mind.

Even if it doesn't use the PS3's full capabilities, it certainly wasn't cut back to fit on Vita, otherwise Vita would have been 100% parity.

Vita is just a lot more powerful than you give it credit for. Having both systems it is clear their is a big difference between them not quite a generation (comparing home consoles), but not far off. KillZone quite clearly shows how much punch the Vita is packing. Far better visuals technically than PSABR was too.

Don't get me wrong, 3DS has some of my favourite games this year with CastleVania especially, and Luigi's Mansion 2 and Donkey Kong. And Nintendo's art style always looks good, has been their defining factor ever since the Cube, which if you ask me, had better looking games than the PS2 and Xbox due to Nintendo's art direction even if the Xbox in particular had more horsepower under the hood.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
ganoncrotch said:

PSASBR was designed on both Vita and ps3 alongside each other with the limitations of the vita in mind, sure it looks like the same game as on the ps3, but no one is going to suggest that the ps3 version is one of the lesser detailed of all the ps3 exclusives out there.

Sure that port of SSF4 on the 3ds is missing the animations of the backgrounds but at the same time, it was designed almost 3 years after it's HDtwin version and the 3ds's abilitys had no impact on the HD version of the game.

PSASBR was designed on PS3 and then a different developer took the PS3 build and ported it to Vita but this was done simultaneously. It wasn't built with Vita's limitations in mind.

Even if it doesn't use the PS3's full capabilities, it certainly wasn't cut back to fit on Vita, otherwise Vita would have been 100% parity.

Vita is just a lot more powerful than you give it credit for. Having both systems it is clear their is a big difference between them not quite a generation (comparing home consoles), but not far off. KillZone quite clearly shows how much punch the Vita is packing. Far better visuals technically than PSABR was too.

Don't get me wrong, 3DS has some of my favourite games this year with CastleVania especially, and Luigi's Mansion 2 and Donkey Kong. And Nintendo's art style always looks good, has been their defining factor ever since the Cube, which if you ask me, had better looking games than the PS2 and Xbox due to Nintendo's art direction even if the Xbox in particular had more horsepower under the hood.

Oh I don't doubt that the psvita has a shit load of power inside it for a handheld and I'm under no illusion that the 3ds has as much grunt when it comes to pure shiny visuals, only thing I am saying is some of the games like GT5, MGS4 or Heavy Rain really show that it will be a while before handhelds can rival those sort of graphics you can only find on the HDtwins and PC gaming currently.

As for the 3ds games you mentioned I'm currently sat at 168% complete in DKC:R it's such an amazing game, it's actually so great that my copy of Luigis mansion is still untouched in its box. I tried the demo of castlevania, jumped down a big drop, died, turned it off, deleted the demo.

As for the GC having some good games btw you know that the heart of the Gamecube was a very Beefy CPU for it's time, capable of far superiour Textures and polygon movement than the PS2, it was even so ahead of it's time that it is basically the same core exactly which powers the Wii.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

All Stars clearly wins in technicality. However, Smash on 3DS looks prettier to me. The game seems to have interesting environments and a nice art style. The second screenshot provided by Ryan is a horrible example.

Around the Network
ganoncrotch said:
MikeRox said:
ganoncrotch said:

Oh I don't doubt that the psvita has a shit load of power inside it for a handheld and I'm under no illusion that the 3ds has as much grunt when it comes to pure shiny visuals, only thing I am saying is some of the games like GT5, MGS4 or Heavy Rain really show that it will be a while before handhelds can rival those sort of graphics you can only find on the HDtwins and PC gaming currently.

Have you seen Killzone Mercenary? Sure if you blow up its screen to 65" it looks less amazing, but on the Vita screen it outperforms Killzone 3. Per pixel, the vita is actually stronger than the PS3. Even Uncharted: GA which was a launch title looked ever so slightly better than the first Uncharted. The 3DS per pixel is only just above the Wii.

JoeTheBro said:
ganoncrotch said:
MikeRox said:
ganoncrotch said:

Have you seen Killzone Mercenary? Sure if you blow up its screen to 65" it looks less amazing, but on the Vita screen it outperforms Killzone 3. Per pixel, the vita is actually stronger than the PS3. Even Uncharted: GA which was a launch title looked ever so slightly better than the first Uncharted. The 3DS per pixel is only just above the Wii.

Keep in mind the the majority of ps3 games are running in 720p which comes to about 900k pixels whereas the psvita is QHD which is just over the 1/2m pixel mark while exact processing power of the Vita isn't know since it's clock speed is kept low for battery / heat reasons but I really doubt that it is half the power of the CELL inside the heart of the PS3.

ganoncrotch said:
JoeTheBro said:
ganoncrotch said:
MikeRox said:
ganoncrotch said:

Keep in mind the the majority of ps3 games are running in 720p which comes to about 900k pixels whereas the psvita is QHD which is just over the 1/2m pixel mark while exact processing power of the Vita isn't know since it's clock speed is kept low for battery / heat reasons but I really doubt that it is half the power of the CELL inside the heart of the PS3.

Per pixel is the short way of saying the perceived image quality compared to PS3 on an HD tv verse Vita on the OLED. Taking it word for word still gets the point across but gets into much deeper spec talk about calculating pixels than what the term refers to. I think Yoshida was who I picked the term up from.

Super Smash Bros 3DS is at least 6 months away, if not more. Ain't it a bit early to compare them?

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

I think it will look better on PSVita then it does on 3DS,

You just chose the wrong stages!

Heavenly Sword Stage, by far one of the prettyest
http://images.vg247.com/current//2012/12/ps-all-stars-battle-royale-7.jpg

Columbia
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130228210402/playstationallstarsbattleroyale/images/a/aa/490l0r.jpg

Graveyard
http://cdn.wegotthiscovered.com/wp-content/uploads/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-isaac-zeus-3.jpg

I'm sorry but you chose the worst pictures to retract PSASBR, mainly the Patapon stage...

The Bitch is back! And better then ever! #BritneyReturns

SONY Bring them BACK for PS4 and VITA!