By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart Wii Details from Famitsu

>Nintendo's explanation is that they'd prefer it if people just focused on having fun with Brawl's online mode, not encouraging people to get over-competitive and kill the atmosphere for less-hardcore Smashers.

and then why are they in Mario Kart? the exact same thing can be said about Mario Kart players.

Please bare with me, I'm just utterly confused about the whole concept here. I am sure I'm not the only one who wants some kind of uniformity here.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

Hey ben, so why ya trollin' the board? Seriously. If you want to talk about brawl, there are about 15 million other threads for that. This is for Kart goodness.

I also am not big on the leader board thing. Mainly because i don't have the time to practice to become a leader. The online and 4 player split screen options though are fantastic.

Mario Kart FTW!!!

BTW, boys and girls if you read the article you will notice the leader board is a separate Wii Channel. You don't have to download it.

BenKenobi88 said:

Nintendo's explanation is that they'd prefer it if people just focused on having fun with Brawl's online mode, not encouraging people to get over-competitive and kill the atmosphere for less-hardcore Smashers.

If it's that important to you, I'd suggest you rethink your priorities...tracking your stats would have been nice, but it's still a kickass game without it.  And your stats do get tracked with friend matches I think. 

That's a big problem with Strikers, if you want to be competitive online, you have to play extremely cheaply.  I'm glad it's not in SSBB personally. 

OT: As for a leaderboard in MKWii, I guess it'll depend on if it shows best times, or win/loss records.

ONE LAST TROLL POST

Quotes from the recent Iwata Asks: Super Smash Bros. Brawl interview with Sakurai, the game creator.

Sakurai: When people think of playing Smash Bros. online, they think about battling opponents to see what happens based on their record of wins or losses, or about holding tournaments online. But I felt that this would make it a service from which only a select group of players could derive enjoyment. For Smash Bros., there are small communities here and there where there’s fun in winning and losing, even when there are more skilled players than others. But if you make an environment where everyone is trying to climb their way to the top of a single tall mountain (see the clear "mountain" for MK Wii hehe ), it’s clear that the people having fun would be limited to a small number of individuals.

Iwata
Those in the top five might feel pretty good about themselves, but what happens if you’re number 15,398 in the rankings? People considered formidable in their own particular community wouldn’t be the least bit pleased.

Sakurai

Furthermore, since Smash Bros. is likely to have a broad gaming base, those that enjoy playing it within their own community might still end up number 100,000 in the rankings.

That is why Sakurai did not put leaderboards in his games...and I applaud him for it. I wouldn't really mind leaderboards...but the fact is, cheaters, lamers, and people that are better than you and play more than you will always be higher than you in the list, and it'll piss you off. And for casual gamers, they'll get really turned off.

It was Sakurai's and the Brawl team's decision not to have a leaderboard...it's apparent that the Mario Kart team decided they wanted one.

Also, if MKWii's leaderboard is a separate Wii channel...I find it slightly possible that a Brawl leaderboard could surface if the demand was great.  (But it's not.)

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
> Why do you question that?

because it's really important to me, Much like Halo kills, a fighting games, I'd like to know how many people I pwned. lol

I'm glad MK was able to offer that, I'm just confused why there wasn't one on SSBB

what was Nintendo's official explanation?

Well I hope to see you posting these kinds of questions in the SSBB thread. I haven't seen you post there. Glad to know you'll be getting Brawl when it comes out.

i want mario kart so bad... but without forcing players to use the wii wheel :)

Ari_Gold said:
i want mario kart so bad... but without forcing players to use the wii wheel :)

Good thing GC controllers are apparently compatible.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
ONE LAST TROLL POST

Quotes from the recent Iwata Asks: Super Smash Bros. Brawl interview with Sakurai, the game creator.

Sakurai: When people think of playing Smash Bros. online, they think about battling opponents to see what happens based on their record of wins or losses, or about holding tournaments online. But I felt that this would make it a service from which only a select group of players could derive enjoyment. For Smash Bros., there are small communities here and there where there’s fun in winning and losing, even when there are more skilled players than others. But if you make an environment where everyone is trying to climb their way to the top of a single tall mountain (see the clear "mountain" for MK Wii hehe ), it’s clear that the people having fun would be limited to a small number of individuals.

Iwata
Those in the top five might feel pretty good about themselves, but what happens if you’re number 15,398 in the rankings? People considered formidable in their own particular community wouldn’t be the least bit pleased.

Sakurai

Furthermore, since Smash Bros. is likely to have a broad gaming base, those that enjoy playing it within their own community might still end up number 100,000 in the rankings.

That is why Sakurai did not put leaderboards in his games...and I applaud him for it. I wouldn't really mind leaderboards...but the fact is, cheaters, lamers, and people that are better than you and play more than you will always be higher than you in the list, and it'll piss you off. And for casual gamers, they'll get really turned off.

It was Sakurai's and the Brawl team's decision not to have a leaderboard...it's apparent that the Mario Kart team decided they wanted one.

Also, if MKWii's leaderboard is a separate Wii channel...I find it slightly possible that a Brawl leaderboard could surface if the demand was great.  (But it's not.)

There is one problem with your logic there ben..... Casual won't be the ones playing it online... Casuals buy it so they can play it with their friends.

Casuals have been the ones buying MK all these years. The online was to bring in the core gamers and core gamers seem to like the competition a leaderboard brings.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

This game is gonna be huge - this gets it's own channel, Wii Fit gets it's own channel. So it begins