By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4-exclusive Killzone: Shadow Fall pre-orders outpacing Forza 5 and Ryse - Analyst

Sony's other titles - Knack and driveclub - aren't gaining the same consumer interest, claims analyst report.

Pre-orders for Sony's Killzone: Shadow Fall on PS4 are tracking ahead of next-gen rivals Forza 5, Ryse and Dead Rising 3, a report from analyst Cowen & Co. has revealed.

The 2013 Cowen Video Game Odometer is based on an analysis of NPD sales data and Amazon.com best-seller data from past years, which the firm claims to give it 96 to 97 per cent accuracy. Data has been monitored since E3 in June and is updated every few weeks.

Out of a maximum score of 100, Killzone: Shadow Fall currently scores 30.3, which compares favourably to next-gen competition.

Forza 5 is the top placed Xbox One title at 18.8, followed by Dead Rising 3 at 15 and Ryse at 13.2. Sony may well be concerned about its full launch line-up, however, with Knack only scoring 7.7 and Driveclub barely registering on 3.0.

Cowen states that we are "very early in the pre-order cycle for most of the games we are tracking".

To put these figures into context, last year's Black Ops 2 scored 100 and went on to generate sales of $1 billion in 15 days. This year's Call of Duty: Ghosts has a score of 73, meaning it's on track to sell fewer units than Blops 2, but could perform better than Modern Warfare 3.

Battlefield 4 scored 54.7, tracking ahead of Battlefield 3, whilst Ubisoft's Watch Dogs is clearly set to perform well for a new IP with a score of 69.6.

Somewhat surprisingly, GTA 5 only scores 58.4, but Cowen notes that this doesn't take into account pre-orders prior to June 2013 – the game was accepting orders way back in November 2012.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/killzone_shadow_fall/news/ps4-exclusive_killzone_shadow_fall_pre-orders_outpacing_forza_5_and_ryse_analyst.html

http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/29/cowen-report-shows-call-of-duty-ghosts-leads-preorder-demand-heading-into-fall/

Around the Network

Well if we look at today's pre-order chart we can conclude that that guy is pretty much right. PS4 doing really great with those numbers. Even Call of Duty is ahead on PS4.

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

"Driveclub barely registering on 3.0"

That caught my eye......why so low? Is GT6 cannibalizing this game despite being on a different console?

But otherwise I am not surprised. FPS, whether PS gamers like to admit it or not, is by far the biggest genre on the platform. Xbox gamers will have their hands full with Battlefield and COD though.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:

That caught my eye......why so low? Is GT6 cannibalizing this game despite being on a different console?

But otherwise I am not surprised. FPS, whether PS gamers like to admit it or not, is by far the biggest genre on the platform. Xbox gamers will have their hands full with Battlefield and COD though.

Drive Club is free with PS+.

loy310 said:
sales2099 said:

.....rly?

I mean that sounds good for gamers and all, but from a cost standpoint it makes no sense to me.

Then again they are owned by Sony and I guess they would take the brunt of the losses. And its to help gamers accept the paywall policy with a premium launch game for free.
Sorry just thinking with my keyboard. It makes sense as it serves dual purposes.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
loy310 said:
sales2099 said:

.....rly?

I mean that sounds good for gamers and all, but from a cost standpoint it makes no sense to me.

Then again they are owned by Sony and I guess they would take the brunt of the losses. And its to help gamers accept the paywall policy with a premium launch game for free.
Sorry just thinking with my keyboard. It makes sense as it serves dual purposes.

It is only partially free, with PS+ you get access to most of the game. It is probably considered a sweetner to get even more people to buy PS+

But anyway, these numbers mean little, there isn't even a release date for the console or indeed a price point for the games

repost

the person with the most reposts on vgc

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=165457

Shame a little about Knack (could be worse), but those Killzone numbers are fantastic. I wonder what are the numbers for the PS4 version of Watch Dogs and COD.

Munkeh111 said:
sales2099 said:
loy310 said:
sales2099 said:

.....rly?

It is only partially free, with PS+ you get access to most of the game. It is probably considered a sweetner to get even more people to buy PS+

But anyway, these numbers mean little, there isn't even a release date for the console or indeed a price point for the games

There will be a discount to upgrade the PS+ version to the full version.

LemonSlice said:

Shame a little about Knack (could be worse), but those Killzone numbers are fantastic. I wonder what are the numbers for the PS4 version of Watch Dogs and COD.

Munkeh111 said:
sales2099 said:

.....rly?

There will be a discount to upgrade the PS+ version to the full version.

Those will still all be digital copies, so won't show up in these numbers anyway

So shooters would dominate the next gen, no surprise here.