By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo shares fall to seven month low

Probably a good time to buy...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=32773

Matt Martin 08:33 (BST) 06/02/2008

Recession fears slow Japanese export market

Nintendo shares sank to a seven month low on the close of the Nikkei, despite the company experiencing runaway success with sales of the Wii and DS consoles.

Stock fell 5.9 per cent to JPY 45,800, the lowest since the beginning of July, as the Japanese export market braces itself for a possible recession.

Companies exporting product to the US have begun to reduce production due to slower growth in the region, following minimal growth in Japan.

"There's an increasing chance that the US will post negative growth in the first quarter, and that's tough news for cyclical markets like Japan," said Akio Yoshino, chief economist at Societe Generale Asset Management, speaking to Bloomberg.

Around the Network

Good time to buy.

It's unfortunate that anti-Wii fanboys across the internet, with little or no knowledge of finance, would try to use this information against the Wii, as if their gaming arm is directly affected by day to day stock prices.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I'd wait a few weeks, since the US market is only going to get worse and will probably drive the stock price down further, even though Nintendo will likely make out like a bandit in this period

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

i would think nintendo is less affected by a recession than most, well nintendo's still making insane amounts of money so the partys wont stop at Nintendo HQ

The shares were ridiculously high anyway. Its just a small company. These are neccessary adjustments.

Around the Network

In other news, Microsoft shares hit a three month low. Good time to buy?

I m not worried at all for Ninty ...

Time to Work !

Kyros said:
The shares were ridiculously high anyway. Its just a small company. These are neccessary adjustments.

its not that small, its one of the biggest Japanese companies, and a market leader

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

DSLover said:
i would think nintendo is less affected by a recession than most, well nintendo's still making insane amounts of money so the partys wont stop at Nintendo HQ

That depends. If I need to start worrying about how to pay my bills and where my next meal is coming from, I can guarentee you that I won't be out buying video games.

Not that I'm suggesting thing will get that bad, but Nintendo hardly produces necessities.

Katilian said:
DSLover said:

That depends. If I need to start worrying about how to pay my bills and where my next meal is coming from, I can guarentee you that I won't be out buying video games.

Not that I'm suggesting thing will get that bad, but Nintendo hardly produces necessities.

Entertainment is always a necessity, even during the great depression movies did good Buisness