By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Passes 1 Million Units in Japan in Roughly the same time Frame the PS3 did

So it's doing badly?

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network

I think if Nintendo wants Wii U sales to pick up in Japan they need to make a deal with a Japanese third party for something big rather than all these smaller little partnerships.

As in like Pokemon x Final Fantasy or something. BIG, not SMT x Fire Emblem (which is cool too, but how many systems is that actually going to move?). It's time to take some of these ideas out of fantasy and actually implement them because Mario can't be expected to do everything for the Wii U when Nintendo is already riding him very hard on the 3DS.

As big as Mario is, he needs some help.

That plus the obvious things (price reduction perhaps + more regular Nintendo IP) might spur sales a bit. Japan might be a bit of a lost cause just because I'm not sure people want consoles there anymore any how, especially now that handhelds can basically deliver adequate 2D and 3D game experiences.

I have doubts that PS4 will do all that well in Japan either.

HikenNoAce said:
ZackNormandin said:
The only thing I can say is this:

Wait until the Wii U is 2 years old. That would be November 2014.
If the system hasn't sold some serious units by then, I'd be disappointed.

Of course, it's common knowledge that the Wii U will see some BIG numbers once Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. is out. Also, the next big Zelda is promised to move some units. As well as a bunch of unannounced titles at 2014's E3 Direct/Presentation/Whatever they're going to do.

Wii U has a lot of hope. One thing I'd love to see right now is a complete redesign of the WaraWara Plaza. It's just awful and needs a lot of fixing. I wouldn't mind something much simpler.

2D Mario is big as well. That didn't help the Wii. You'd be crazy to think that those games will get Wii numbers.

Ur really good at making nnonsense arguments. NSMBU was the only big game for the first 8 months, everything else was a late port or mediocre. People arent going to buy a $300+ console just for a 2D platformer. Every console to have a NSMB game was under $200 and had an established library at the time. NSMB is a great support title that can boost sales but it wont sell a console on its own.

DS-$129, other big titles include Brain Training, Nintendogs, Mario 64DS, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing

Wii-$199 other titles Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Smash Bros

3DS-$169/199 other titles OoT 3D, 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus, Nintendogs+Cats

Wii U-$199/349 other titles Nintendo Land

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Fusioncode said:
PS3 had no games, a massive price tag, and huge competition from the Wii. What's Nintendo's excuse?

No games, huge price tag in relation to other nintendo consoles, competition from PS3, japan has moved to portable, and to be fair PS3 was a cheap blu ray player at the time.

It has Monster Hunter and NSMB, two massive franchises in Japan. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

I'd say Nintendo's franchises (minus Pokemon since it's more of a handheld only thing) go in this order of "sales impact"

Mario Kart > 2D Mario > 3D Mario = Smash Brothers > Zelda > Donkey Kong Country

Calling 2D Mario a "support title" is silly. Wii U is just a tough sell at this point for any single game.

Online Nintendo fans tend to think the world revolves around Zelda and Smash Brothers and these are Nintendo's most important franchises.

For all the hooting and hollering over Zelda: Twilight Princess being so pivotal to the Wii, it's not even close to being one of the top 10 selling Wii games for example and is easily outsold by a game like Mario & Sonic Olympics.

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:
zorg1000 said:
Fusioncode said:
PS3 had no games, a massive price tag, and huge competition from the Wii. What's Nintendo's excuse?

No games, huge price tag in relation to other nintendo consoles, competition from PS3, japan has moved to portable, and to be fair PS3 was a cheap blu ray player at the time.

It has Monster Hunter and NSMB, two massive franchises in Japan. 

U cant realy count Monster Hunter on Wii U as a massive title, its a year old port of a two year old port. It came out on Wii in 2009 and 3DS in 2011, it had sold 3 million on those two console alone.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Soundwave said:

I'd say Nintendo's franchises (minus Pokemon since it's more of a handheld only thing) go in this order of "sales impact"

Mario Kart > 2D Mario > 3D Mario = Smash Brothers > Zelda > Donkey Kong Country

Calling 2D Mario a "support title" is silly. Wii U is just a tough sell at this point for any single game.

Online Nintendo fans tend to think the world revolves around Zelda and Smash Brothers and these are Nintendo's most important franchises.

For all the hooting and hollering over Zelda: Twilight Princess being so pivotal to the Wii, it's not even close to being one of the top 10 selling Wii games for example and is easily outsold by a game like Mario & Sonic Olympics.

All I meant by support title Iis it wont sell a $300+ console on its own. Just like Mario Kart, Gran Turismo, Halo wont sell console without other big titles to back them up.