By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - HD Consoles just bouncing back from Christmas (Wii 50% of Market??)

KBG29 said:
I would like to see the sales of dvd players worldwide weekly, because I would be blown away if any sinlge standalone outsells PS2 even today.

That could be pretty tough one to answer because there are so many different kinds of Dvd-players out there (stand-alone, with digital receiver and in coumputers too)(some of them can upscale and show pictures of memorycards and stuff), but in combined, Ps2 will have tiny piece of pie.

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Around the Network
Reasonable said:
That seems to be US centric (second link didn't work). Sorry but US trails Japan, Scandanavia and some European countries with adoption of home entertainment tech = hell look at iPhone, all that hype and when they launch in Europe its like 'hell, this thing is cool and all but its not even 3G!'. I'm thinking globally. I'm pretty sure that current analysis is going to look off by middle of year (at least outside US).

Little off-topic but,

iPhone won't sell that good in here because it lacks 3G-support in it current model. New one with 3G-support will be announced next year (by that time it will be old against types like http://gizmodo.com/354745/sony-ericsson-w980i-walkman-clamshell-hits-the-right-chords and http://gizmodo.com/354742/xperia-x1-hiptop-killer-sony-ericssons-first-video-plus-gallery and http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/02/11/the-nokia-n96-redefines-high-end/ and just waiting for other versions.

And back to the topic: how does owning Hd-tv or Hd-console throw possibility of owning Wii/Ps2/GC out of the window ? Hell, even my mate and my sister, they both own Hd-tv and they still have a Ps2's connected to them.And i'm gonna buy Hd-tv also and that doesn't make me buy Hd-cabable console. I have my Pc for Grapxs thx) :p

And for getting Hd-material to your Hd-tv. Yep you can get it, but it will cost you pretty penny and you do only get 2-4 Hd-channels by satellite/cable (btw you can't get cable where i live at the moment)

And Hd/Br-player need to drop to 150€ or lower for their disc to start to sell much more. (Still waiting for good comboplayer, if those films produced in other format don't get converted to other one.

Well, thats my two cents about this.

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The only way Wii could hold on to 50% is if it becomes a phenomenon beyond even today's thoughts, or has a lifespan far better than the current other two.

But, today you see the Other charts, and Wii's looking at 128077 out of 238079, which is 53.8%. Japan will boost the numbers well against XBox, and overall the sales are great against PS3.

But, 53.8% is not going to cut it.... There's still 6% to make up. It would still have to sell close to 60% week by week for a while to hit that 50% mark.

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

KBG29 said:

Now one thing I would like to know is what product is going to come out in the next 7 years that will be more feature packed than the PS3 or 360. What other products will have:

-IPTV
-DVR
-Digital Downloads Service for HD movies/TV, music, games, and more
-Blu-ray player
-HD Games
-Internet

for starters: x720 and ps4 will be out in the next 7 years and i assume they will have all of those features along with motion/ir controls and more

wii2 is likely to have many/all of those features depending upon how important they are to the consumers

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
facher83 said:
The only way Wii could hold on to 50% is if it becomes a phenomenon beyond even today's thoughts, or has a lifespan far better than the current other two.

But, today you see the Other charts, and Wii's looking at 128077 out of 238079, which is 53.8%. Japan will boost the numbers well against XBox, and overall the sales are great against PS3.

But, 53.8% is not going to cut it.... There's still 6% to make up. It would still have to sell close to 60% week by week for a while to hit that 50% mark.

it is supply constrained...when they up the supply, it will up the %

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Around the Network

i think back to my Archos GMini mp3 player from a few years back

it played mp3s, movies, showed pictures, played games, was a photo wallet (compactflash slot), 20gb hard drive, color screen, etc

so it did MUCH more than the ipod did...and it was CHEAPER to boot!

but it didn't have that darned scroll wheel

ps360 can have all the features in the world, but they don't have that darned wiimote

Predictions:

i think back to my Archos GMini mp3 player from a few years back

it played mp3s, movies, showed pictures, played games, was a photo wallet (compactflash slot), 20gb hard drive, color screen, etc

so it did MUCH more than the ipod did...and it was CHEAPER to boot!

but it didn't have that darned scroll wheel

ps360 can have all the features in the world, but they don't have that darned wiimote

Predictions:

blu-ray is nothing compared to dvd

dvd offered INCREASED FUNCTIONALITY over the vhs...no more rewinding, chapter skipping, deleted scenes, commentaries, etc

general consumers don't usually care about QUALITY of picture or sound...they care about functionality

mp3s sound worse than cds but are more functional than cds

most people buy hdtvs because they are BIG (the 60+" dlps) or because they are FLAT (plasma/lcd)...this is backed up by the slow adoption rate and the fact that >50% of hdtv owners don't even hook up hd content to their tv

people can keep saying that hd matters to consumers, but the average consumer like my sis-in-law can't even tell the difference between sd and hd

25% of all HDTV owners think they are watching HD content when they aren't

Predictions:

i think it will reach it this christmas

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

facher83 said:

Did somebody say they needed close to 60%?  With 216k for America and Japan to go, this week's number will be very close to 60%.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.