By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Playing At Strengths: A Strategy for Nintendo for Generation 9

your idea is intriguing if not a bit left field. This move would allow them to combine all handheld and console titles into one platform. The caveat, however, is they'd be sacrificing the ability to make a game using the power of a home console. A zelda on a 3ds will never have the "potential epicness" as a zelda on a wii-u. Also, there is this setback. I've never owned a handheld gaming device. I don't like smartphones. I don't game on smart phones. I've owned every nintendo home console to date. Again it's an interesting idea, but i'd probably be pretty bummed.
p.s. i don't ever want a system that is dedicated to downloads only. Hard drives crash. A disc kept in good condition is always good.

Around the Network
CarcharodonKraz said:
your idea is intriguing if not a bit left field. This move would allow them to combine all handheld and console titles into one platform. The caveat, however, is they'd be sacrificing the ability to make a game using the power of a home console. A zelda on a 3ds will never have the "potential epicness" as a zelda on a wii-u. Also, there is this setback. I've never owned a handheld gaming device. I don't like smartphones. I don't game on smart phones. I've owned every nintendo home console to date. Again it's an interesting idea, but i'd probably be pretty bummed.
p.s. i don't ever want a system that is dedicated to downloads only. Hard drives crash. A disc kept in good condition is always good.

A tablet style device in a few years could theoretically be about as powerful as the Wii U and to me it seems like Nintendo has little/no interest in going beyond that for visual capability/game budget. Most of their Wii U games look nice, but for instance X is the only one that seems like it's making the Wii U hardware sweat at all.

Discs are done as a physical media after this gen IMO. Even if you want a physical media, 32GB/64GB cartridge/cards ala the 3DS/Vita should be available for cheap. The Wii U discs are 25GB only for instance.

Cobretti2 said:
well considering next gen will have like a 128gb of RAM how will they fit this into the portable?

and you base this on... ?

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

Soundwave said:
CarcharodonKraz said:

A tablet style device in a few years could theoretically be about as powerful as the Wii U and to me it seems like Nintendo has little/no interest in going beyond that for visual capability/game budget. Most of their Wii U games look nice, but for instance X is the only one that seems like it's making the Wii U hardware sweat at all.

Discs are done as a physical media after this gen IMO. Even if you want a physical media, 32GB/64GB cartridge/cards ala the 3DS/Vita should be available for cheap. The Wii U discs are 25GB only for instance.

A tablet can actually be more powerful than a wii-u right now, but now we're getting into another subject: pricepoint.  i think a retail version of this theoretical system/controller combo would be around 400$.  In a few years that may come down, but then it would be pretty out of date compare to ps4/xb1 to be just coming out. ps5/xb2 vs nintablet?  sounds a bit rediculous now; then again were talking about 9th generation and really we don't have nearly enough info to make any real predictions/judgements. 

snes = 256 kb
n64= 4mb/8mb (with expansion pack) (snes*16)
xbox = 64 mb(n64*16, or n64*8)
x360 = 512 mb (xbox *8)
xOne = 8 gb (x360*16)
one could predict xone memory times 8 or 16. 64 to 128 is plausible if you consider the historic of memory evolution through console generations.

Around the Network
CarcharodonKraz said:
Soundwave said:
CarcharodonKraz said:

A tablet can actually be more powerful than a wii-u right now, but now we're getting into another subject: pricepoint.  i think a retail version of this theoretical system/controller combo would be around 400$.  In a few years that may come down, but then it would be pretty out of date compare to ps4/xb1 to be just coming out. ps5/xb2 vs nintablet?  sounds a bit rediculous now; then again were talking about 9th generation and really we don't have nearly enough info to make any real predictions/judgements. 

I don't think Nintendo gives one poop about what PS5/XB2 look like, they have no interest in making games that require a $100+ million dollar budget. I think even PS4 level of hardware is overblown to them.

Something with the horsepower of say 3x-4x the PS Vita (getting close or equal to Wii U) + 4GB of RAM I think would be just fine and dandy for most any game Nintendo would want to make and could be sold for sub $300 in a few years time.

Soundwave said:
CarcharodonKraz said:
Soundwave said:
CarcharodonKraz said:

I don't think Nintendo gives one poop about what PS5/XB2 look like, they have no interest in making games that require a $100+ million dollar budget. I think even PS4 level of hardware is overblown to them.

Something with the horsepower of say 3x the PS Vita (getting close or equal to Wii U) + 4GB of RAM I think would be just fine and dandy for most any game Nintendo would want to make and could be sold for sub $300 in a few years time.

but a few years time isn't a viable window for such a device.  It would be a 64dd disaster.  They would need to wait 4-1/2 years to not burn wii-u owners, and by then a wii-u powered equal system would just not fly.  Gaming as an evolved art would need something more powerful by then.

CarcharodonKraz said:
Soundwave said:
CarcharodonKraz said:
Soundwave said:
CarcharodonKraz said:

Something with the horsepower of say 3x the PS Vita (getting close or equal to Wii U) + 4GB of RAM I think would be just fine and dandy for most any game Nintendo would want to make and could be sold for sub $300 in a few years time.

but a few years time isn't a viable window for such a device.  It would be a 64dd disaster.  They would need to wait 4-1/2 years to not burn wii-u owners, and by then a wii-u powered equal system would just not fly.  Gaming as an evolved art would need something more powerful by then.

If Wii U is a niche product then I think they will go for it. A tablet could potentially have much more widestream appeal. People just don't want a Nintendo-centric home console anymore unless it has some kind of Wiimote type paradigm shift in the box. But portable machines, Nintendo's had fairly consistent success with for the last 15-20 years.

I would say push it out as a "third pillar" for 2014 or 2015. The Wii U will have had 2-3 years on its own for a while and could still get a proper 5 year life cycle. They're two different types of products.

Soundwave said:
CarcharodonKraz said:
Soundwave said:
CarcharodonKraz said:
Soundwave said:
CarcharodonKraz said:

If Wii U is a niche product then I think they will go for it. A tablet could potentially have much more widestream appeal. People just don't want a Nintendo-centric home console anymore unless it has some kind of Wiimote type paradigm shift in the box. But portable machines, Nintendo's had fairly consistent success with for the last 15-20 years.

I would say push it out as a "third pillar" for 2014 or 2015. The Wii U will have had 2-3 years on its own for a while and could still get a proper 5 year life cycle. They're two different types of products.

Id say holiday 2016, that would give 3DS 5 1/2 years and Wii U 4 years.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

It all sound good and all, but can we just focus on the generation we're in for the time being? Starting with Pikmin 3 in a couple weeks my video game dance card is about to be nice and full.

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto