By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - New thread up soon!

Thanks for the kind words Jay :). I think we all contribute to the Xbox community in our own way and that's what makes this group so great. I know a lot of places dedicated to Xbox but none is as fantastic as this, not even my site/team. And the only ones to thank for that is yourself, keep up the good work guys it's great to see the passion in here!

Around the Network

Just read a post on GAF that made me think "Oh shit, that could totally happen".

And this is a big likely imo.

Scenario A) MS will announce a Steam competitor that goes toe to toe in every aspect. Sales. DRM free. No Multiplayer/Online charge/subscription. The lure will be Xbox exclusives and cross play with Xbox One.

The real crunch, imagine if like Internet explorer, they bundled this with every Windows 10, default.

Scenario B) Again they create the steam competitor, but they also allow Steam for an option when booting Windows 10. This also gives them some sort of leverage over Steam (timed exclusives?)

If MS wanted, they could come back to PC gaming in a big way, they just have to be clever and non geedy about it.

Looks like, before any adjustments, this was the winning poll option

10.9 - 11.2m 122 6.99%

Seece said:
Just read a post on GAF that made me think "Oh shit, that could totally happen".

And this is a big likely imo.

Scenario A) MS will announce a Steam competitor that goes toe to toe in every aspect. Sales. DRM free. No Multiplayer/Online charge/subscription. The lure will be Xbox exclusives and cross play with Xbox One.

The real crunch, imagine if like Internet explorer, they bundled this with every Windows 10, default.

Scenario B) Again they create the steam competitor, but they also allow Steam for an option when booting Windows 10. This also gives them some sort of leverage over Steam (timed exclusives?)

If MS wanted, they could come back to PC gaming in a big way, they just have to be clever and non geedy about it.

That scenario makes Xbox pretty much completely irrelevant

Angelus said:

That scenario makes Xbox pretty much completely irrelevant

There are ways they can keep it relevant, but I'm not entirely sure long term MS would care. If the PC client because successful it wouldn't matter too much how many console sold.

Something is coming ...

Around the Network

Can't say I like the first scenario.

TiagoCosta said:

Why? It doesn't matter if people need an Xbox or not, what matters is the eco-system as a whole and as long as XBO would be part of it, XBO owners wouldn't suffer from that even if sales of XBO would decrease (I even doubt that they would decrease much). 

Well, I see a problem with how they would manage the different controls especially for competitive online multiplayer but otherwise I wouldn't really care if people need an XBO to play all the XBO games since they would  still release on XBO and the amount of people you could play with would only increase and not decrease with this scenario so no loss for XBO owners. 

crissindahouse said:
TiagoCosta said:

Why? It doesn't matter if people need an Xbox or not, what matters is the eco-system as a whole and as long as XBO would be part of it, XBO owners wouldn't suffer from that even if sales of XBO would decrease (I even doubt that they would decrease much). 

Well, I see a problem with how they would manage the different controls especially for competitive online multiplayer but otherwise I wouldn't really care if people need an XBO to play all the XBO games since they would be still on XBO as well and since the amount of people you could play with would only increase and not decrease...

Ya this would be a huge issue for me. I don't wanna be playing against players using mouse and keyboard. It's one of the main reasons I stopped playing shooters on PC ages ago, cus I've never felt comfortable playing that way but you have no chance competitively without it.

Angelus said:
crissindahouse said:
TiagoCosta said:

Well, I see a problem with how they would manage the different controls especially for competitive online multiplayer but otherwise I wouldn't really care if people need an XBO to play all the XBO games since they would be still on XBO as well and since the amount of people you could play with would only increase and not decrease...

Ya this would be a huge issue for me. I don't wanna be playing against players using mouse and keyboard. It's one of the main reasons I stopped playing shooters on PC ages ago, cus I've never felt comfortable playing that way but you have no chance competitively without it.

I guess in competitive multiplayer they can have a host of options tho, like disabling vs PCs using mouse and keyboard.

I also realised, it would help MS win the graphics wars (to a degree) :P

It just feels like the first step to doom to me, Microsoft not doing any more HC I mean.

I simply don't play on PC's at all, I don't even have one.