By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - New thread up soon!

who is worse, the guy holding the cam or the driver?

Around the Network

Source reveals name of recently outed streaming platform; another report says service could be means to support backward compatibility on Xbox One.

GameSpot sister site CNET has heard from a source that Microsoft'srecently revealed cloud-powered streaming service is called Rio. Its former codename was Ridgeway, another source said.

During Microsoft meetings last week, the company reportedly demonstrated Halo 4being streamed to a Surface tablet and a Windows Phone. This was achieved at "Xbox-level visual quality," CNET's source said.

Noted Windows blogger Paul Thurrott added some additional insight into Rio, based on information from his own sources.

"The firm noted that latency was down to 45 milliseconds, which is probably OK for simple single-player gaming but is in fact pretty high for real-time multiplayer gaming," Thurrott said on his site. "But here's a secret benefit of this technology: Microsoft might use this to solve the backward-compatibility problem of the Xbox One, which cannot play Xbox 360 games: It could simply stream these titles to customers."

Microsoft hinted at tapping into the power of the cloud for backward compatibility on the Xbox One earlier this month.

"There are so many things that the servers can do. Using our Azure cloud servers, sometimes it's things like voice processing. It could be more complicated things like rendering full games like a Gaikai and delivering it to the box," senior Xbox director Albert Penello said at the time. "We just have to figure out, over time, how much does that cost to deliver, how good is the experience."

I missed ten pages !!!!!!!!!!! what did I miss? :o(

xone is looking sexier by the day!

edit: I wonder if viacom will have anything to say about the namesake "rio" because of the movie

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

Approaching the 50 day mark!!

JayWood2010 said:
So what is everybody's opinions on Xbox Fitness?

Killer App, I've been screaming for a Kinect P90X for years.

They need to market it well - like they did the Kinect, it was on Oprah, but even better.  My totally not tech savvy friends were asking me if I was getting the 'new hands free' game machine.  They picked that up from Oprah. 

Well, since they are following my lead now.  Going to plant another seed.  Next, they need a powerful Martha Sewart cooking hands free app - are you listening Microsoft and Martha? 

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Microsoft to return to CES Las Vegas show in Jan 2014

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=169622&page=1#2

Weird ... they only pulled out a year ago so they could announce products when it was more suitable for them ...

JayWood2010 said:

So you all dont believe every rumor you all here, here is some confirmation on BF4. Though you guys really shouldnt worry about graphics so much and just enjoy the gameplay :)

"The original article by Game*Spark was updated with the following: After the review of the product during a Q&A session with the personnel at the DICE booth, we learned that the developer aims to have the same frame rate and resolution for the Xbox One and PS4 version. We modified the contents of the article to match. The final specifications are unknown until it will be officially published by EA DICE"

Also here is a tweet confirming that the original rumor was false to begin with 

I ain't worried about graphics with XB1.... I'm worried about PS4 users having way too much extra time outside of gaming to polute even more the forum :P

no but seriously there is absolutely nothing to be worried.... even with better graphics there a re so many things XB is providing PS4 is not or is poorly doing for my personnal taste... from the UI to the pad or the multi tasking apps integration non of it is more appealing to me on PS4 than XB.... so not worried.... there are more chance for me not buying a new console than buying a PS4.... if XB1 doesn't cut it for me my 360 will still do the job for years better than any PS can... heck on the pad alone it is a no no for me

I'm starting to think that the Day One edition of the X1 won't have a free game with it in the US otherwise they would have announced it already :/

That would be pretty unfair to you guys ^^
If it makes you feel any better....I have absolutely no desire to play Fifa. I would have JUMPED on that Forza deal they got in the UK, but I was on holiday when they announced it and I didn't really have web access so I missed out.

Angelus said:
That would be pretty unfair to you guys ^^
If it makes you feel any better....I have absolutely no desire to play Fifa. I would have JUMPED on that Forza deal they got in the UK, but I was on holiday when they announced it and I didn't really have web access so I missed out.

well, they can buy fifa 14 separate and get it still cheaper as people in europe with a free fifa lol