By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are the new console wars viewed with such negativity?

MohammadBadir said:
oniyide said:
arguing over which toy is better has is and will be silly, its just alot of us were children back then and didnt know better, now? Well now its just kinda sad and their is no excuse

but I see you being negative on Nintendo threads all the time?

Mr. Pot?  Mr. Kettle is on line 2 and he sounds quite upset.  Transfering now.

Around the Network
J_Allard said:
1. Internet added anonymity, which watered down console wars
2. Internet added up to date sales information and "metascores", leads to more useless bickering than ever
3. Companies don't really go after each other like they used to
4. We grew up and matured

NoirSon said:
platformmaster918 said:

When people talk about SEGA vs. Nintendo we always seem to remember it fondly but with Sony vs. MS so many people act like it's just stupid.  So do we like console wars or not?

Part of it deals with the fact that most of those that were actually in the previous Nintendo vs Sega conflict are older, more mature and likely have dropped all the fanboy nonsense in the past. Young folk that grew up with the PS2 vs Xbox vs GC are still babies in a sense and have yet to leave the competition BS behind.

This upcoming console war has the stigmas of Nintendo dropping a less then respectable entry and the biggest difference between Sony and Microsoft (outside of known exclusives) being the Xbox One may or may not having a lot of restrictions on how you own the game.

As an older gamer, the simplicity that was once a hall mark of console gaming is disappearing in subscription fees, DLC and other nonsense.  Plus with life getting more complicated on its own, all this crap does me no good, I just have to hope and make sure my dollars are going toward the right games.

You have seem to hit it right on the head. 

Ronster316 said:
NightDragon83 said:
Ronster316 said:

Preferred the SEGA Megadrive to the Super Nintendo Entertianment System. (SEGA did exceptionally well in europe in the early 90's, so it was nowhere near as one sided as some other areas)

I had (and still have) an immense amount of respect for Nintendo though, and did not begrudge or belittle anyone who had either system.

That all changed of course when a certain "moneybags corporation" wriggled their way in to the gaming business.

$ony?

Indeed..!!!!

I love your posts about Sony, good sir. hahaha

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

I think it was the ps360 that changed the tide along with other key factors such as an increase in social media usage...
If it was just sony and nintendo there would be rainbows and unicorns in place of console wars. If it was ms and nintendo there would be a lot,mor pc gamers

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

Around the Network

How gaming changed for me.

In the 90s if you were a gamer you were a sub set of culture, you were a nerd and other segments reminded you of that. "Video games?! What are you, a nerd?!" So instead of people arguing about SNES and Genesis it was more of friendly camaraderie as we were gamers.

Now, it feels like those same people that belittled our hobby are also gamers, and the conversation is things like "JRPGs?! What are you, a nerd/otaku?!" or "You still like Sonic?! Grow up, man child!"

There was no threat to the culture back then because we were the culture and the industry catered to us. So many gaming trends in past decade (shooters, realism, gritty "mature" titles, online play at expense of local multi player) fly in the face what gaming was then.

I get it, culture changes and the broadening of gaming means more diverse groups. However, I do have an emotional attachment to this hobby so when these trends mean what I love about gaming struggles it does concern me. Selfishly I want to be able to play games like I did back then forever so these "wars" feel like a endorsement to the future of gaming and I'd prefer the future to have a place for my gaming interests.

Augen said:
How gaming changed for me.

In the 90s if you were a gamer you were a sub set of culture, you were a nerd and other segments reminded you of that. "Video games?! What are you, a nerd?!" So instead of people arguing about SNES and Genesis it was more of friendly camaraderie as we were gamers.

Now, it feels like those same people that belittled our hobby are also gamers, and the conversation is things like "JRPGs?! What are you, a nerd/otaku?!" or "You still like Sonic?! Grow up, man child!"

There was no threat to the culture back then because we were the culture and the industry catered to us. So many gaming trends in past decade (shooters, realism, gritty "mature" titles, online play at expense of local multi player) fly in the face what gaming was then.

I get it, culture changes and the broadening of gaming means more diverse groups. However, I do have an emotional attachment to this hobby so when these trends mean what I love about gaming struggles it does concern me. Selfishly I want to be able to play games like I did back then forever so these "wars" feel like a endorsement to the future of gaming and I'd prefer the future to have a place for my gaming interests.

Such a good post. I still feel like gaming doesn't get same kind of respect in mainstream. It is still belittled when compared to other hobbies people have. Why would they respect gamers when gamers don't show much respect to each other. 

Because rivalries are competitive in nature?

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Prob nostalgia speaking. 10 years from now, people will be talking about the war for the 8th gen between MS and Sony in reverent tones.

I think part of it is a lot of the people involved just don't enjoy the games and consoles coming out as much, and right now especially I think there's a real fear that NONE of the consoles will be relatively successful (that is, more successful than their current gen counterparts).

Basically, I think a lot of it has simply come down to hating the competition more than really loving what you're defending.