By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii NA sales plunge, can anyone give me an explanation why?

If it is supply issues please inform me however last weeks surge in sales and Europes Double-NA wii sales tell me it is not an isue of supply as it has been resolved lat week when wii sales rose signifficantly. So why is this week so poor for the wii in NA?

Around the Network

hmm, recession?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Supply has been diverted to Japan to meet demand for Smash, most likely. The Wii is still selling out in most areas of the US before stores even open (by ticketing systems handed out an hour before open).

Also, there is no strong signs of a ression.  The ISM index was low, which means that supplies used in service industries were purchased less than usual.  This doesn't indicate a recession, this indicates the opinion that a recession may be looming.  And if you look at the US media, the opinion is undeniable.

But at the moment we have no strong evidence of a recession.  Job losses last week were normal (300k), most of which were seasonal.

Even so, the Wii is not sitting on shelves anywhere and they're still selling well above retail on craigslist and ebay. 

Do you hear anyone saying that their local stores are fully shelved of Wiis? If not, it's probably still supply constrained, maybe Nintendo shifted supply to Japan for SSBB launch.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

^

what he says =)

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

isn't Wii region locked? How can they shift all those units on a weekly basis?

And for that matter, if they can actually predict user buying trend for once, why couldn't they make more SSBB on launch?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Isn't it obvious?

The fad is over LAWLZ

Yeah I don't know. Maybe last week ioi was actually too high and NA is recouping from holiday.

kingofwale said:
isn't Wii region locked? How can they shift all those units on a weekly basis?

And for that matter, if they can actually predict user buying trend for once, why couldn't they make more SSBB on launch?

How does the region lock work? Most likely, flashing the OS changes the region lock. Therefore, moving them from one region to another would be fairly easy.

It's not an issue with the DVD drives, as they don't play DVD movies.

Even with lower shipment numbers than usual and huge supply going to Japan, the Wii still managed to outsell the PS3 and 360 combined in the US and Europe combined.  This suggests the gap will be huge when the world wide numbers are released.

Ninty took part of the NA shipment and gave it to Japan for SSBB launch so expect Japanese numbers to be high!