By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Big Is Your Backlog?

My backlog is...

0-5 Games 23 13.37%

6-10 Games 24 13.95%

11-15 Games 17 9.88%

16-20 Games 16 9.30%

21-25 Games 10 5.81%

More than 25 Games 48 27.91%

If I win the lottery and ... 34 19.77%

Total:172
Michael-5 said:
BinaryDelt said:
Michael-5 said:
BinaryDelt said:

"Time to Triangle" - a phrase coined by the great Mark Cerny.  See here (fantastic presentation): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHXrBnipHyA

I don't know who Cerny is, but that man in the video is creepy and it's long.....

There we go, I skimmed and found it....nevermind, he just keeps talking about why he is so great. No offense, but I find this guy really arrogant, annoying, and he really scares me. I mean do I really need to know that you've been with your wife for 25 years? Why would I care?Took me a while, but now I remember why I find him scary

I feel like he wants to kill babies

So what if the video is long?  It's incredibly insightful and extremely interesting.  I think Mark Cerny has earned the right to be arrogant.  Sure, he's a little odd, but if you've spent any time around folks who work in technology, he's pretty damn normal.

I know Cerny has kind of a murderous look in his eyes sometimes and I'll admit I've chuckled at some of the comparisons, but the man is a legend and incredibly intelligent.  Personally I have crazy respect for the guy and his ability to understand so many different aspects of the gaming industry.

I disagree, I don't mean to insult your role model, but i found the video long, and annoying. It was basically just Cern padding his own arrogant back, and giving us a history on his life. Maybe he deserves it, but there is no denying he is arrogant, and I just don't like that type of attitude.

I still don't understand the term "time to triangulate", I heard his say it once, but.....yea.

"Time to Triangle", not "triangulate" - he's basically referring to the time it takes from the moment a team receives a dev kit to the point where they have a working graphical skeleton.

I think a NeoGaf user may have said it best about Cerny's perceived arrogance: "Cerny almost comes off as arrogant at first, but it's clear he has a fairly high IQ and backs up his calm, yet ambitious, personality." (Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=66813861)  I don't think it's so much that he's arrogant, but that he's proud of his accomplishments.  Hey, I would be too.  I'm in Mensa (the high IQ society) for example.  If I don't keep that a secret for my entire life, does that make me arrogant?

Regardless, you're missing the point, choosing to focus on how you think he looks creepy or talks about himself at a conference where he was asked to come and speak about...himself.  What you're missing is the genius a lot of other people in the industry see, and what a treat it is to get a rare look into the evolution of console design along with video games in general and the building of a brand at PlayStation.

I think you're in the minority...He's one of the feature stories on IGN's homepage today with a two-part interview:

Let's drop the sidebar Cerny thread though, this is getting far off topic from the OP, though I'm happy to continue to discuss in PMs if you want.

Around the Network

To make matters worse I now have Killzone: Mercenary sat on my vita home screen crying to be played *sigh*