By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much does a PS4 dev kit cost?

ethomaz said:
danasider said:
Oh wow, thanks. That's not a lot for an indie who has a clear vision and team to make something of it. They could just take out a loan if they didn't have 20k sitting around. But I doubt many will dabble with nextgen devkits on their own haha.

I think... I'm sure in that one... that most indies with a good projets received the DevKit withou pay anything (free) like the ones behind The Witness and Warframe... and possible all the indies devs that Sony showed at E3.

Take a example...

The Soul Saga guy have a lot of conversation with Sony and Nintendo to port the game to PS4, Vita and Wii U... and at the end it just asked more $10,000 to buy de the devkits and make the ports... he said it will work for free... so he was just asking for the money to make the ports happen (I think costs to buy the devkit, etc... the code will be made for free by himself).

So I think just sell the DevKits at full price for the second or more DevKit or for projects that they don't see future... most cases the first DevKit is free or with really good deals.

Where is the image from?

Around the Network

On Kickstarter.com, project got funded few day ago.

$599 USD

loy310 said:

Where is the image from?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/disastercake/soul-saga-a-j-rpg-inspired-by-playstation-classics

There are others examples... I just quoted that because the owner posted in the blog all the conversation with Sony (not the content of the conversation but updates about stats... seems like he make a deal with Sony)... I think that even $10,000 for the Wii U, Vita and PS4 is not counting DevKits after all because he get everything free .

Thanks for creating this thread.  I was just looking into the PlayStation Mobile Developer Program today.  I'm 30 years old, have a Computer Science degree, work in IT, and really don't like what I do.  I love video games, and they're a huge reason I pursued a career in technology, but for whatever reason I let myself get sucked into corporate America, selling out at jobs I don't like to pay the bills.  Pick your excuse--the video game industry is too competitive, I didn't want to leave my family in the midwest to move to the West coast, etc--but I never pursued a career directly in video games.

Thankfully I'm still relatively young, have a background that can translate well to the gaming industry, and accessibility for Indie developers is higher than ever, meaning I don't have to quit my job and uproot my family to give it a shot.  My wife and I don't have any kids yet, so now's as good a time as any to start working on something on the side.

Strong advice to anyone just getting started in the "real world": Do what makes you happy.  Paychecks will come.  Some will be bigger than others, but if you're doing what you love, it won't matter as long as the bills are paid.

Now to come up with some ideas...

Around the Network
BinaryDelt said:

Thanks for creating this thread.  I was just looking into the PlayStation Mobile Developer Program today.  I'm 30 years old, have a Computer Science degree, work in IT, and really don't like what I do.  I love video games, and they're a huge reason I pursued a career in technology, but for whatever reason I let myself get sucked into corporate America, selling out at jobs I don't like to pay the bills.  Pick your excuse--the video game industry is too competitive, I didn't want to leave my family in the midwest to move to the West coast, etc--but I never pursued a career directly in video games.

Thankfully I'm still relatively young, have a background that can translate well to the gaming industry, and accessibility for Indie developers is higher than ever, meaning I don't have to quit my job and uproot my family to give it a shot.  My wife and I don't have any kids yet, so now's as good a time as any to start working on something on the side.

Strong advice to anyone just getting started in the "real world": Do what makes you happy.  Paychecks will come.  Some will be bigger than others, but if you're doing what you love, it won't matter as long as the bills are paid.

I'll probably go the corporate route when I graduate and work on my own stuff on the side.  I'm 28 and starting a new career, because I was unhappy where I was going before (nowhere).  Comp sci is my second degree and I've got school loans and bills to pay, so even though I plan on getting there someday, I'm going to have to take a job I can land ASAP.  Not to mention, my girlfriend wants me to get a job already (that's regular and offers benefits haha).  That and I am so green at game design and programming in general so I wouldn't cut it even if I went for it.

I'm currently working on a small text adventure in c++ to get my feet wet in both the programming and design, but I have a long way to go in the grand scheme of things.  For me, ideas are the easy part, it's the execution (99% of the work) that I'm working on, so I'm not even close to trying to get a PS4 kit.  At least you have a skillset developed so once you get that idea, you will be able to flesh it out that much easier.

Good luck on coming up with some ideas.

@ethomaz yeah I'm working on my programming skills on PC and I figured that's how it works, but thanks for the advice!

danasider said:
BinaryDelt said:

I'll probably go the corporate route when I graduate and work on my own stuff on the side.  I'm 28 and starting a new career, because I was unhappy where I was going before (nowhere).  Comp sci is my second degree and I've got school loans and bills to pay, so even though I plan on getting there someday, I'm going to have to take a job I can land ASAP.  Not to mention, my girlfriend wants me to get a job already (that's regular and offers benefits haha).  That and I am so green at game design and programming in general so I wouldn't cut it even if I went for it.

I'm currently working on a small text adventure in c++ to get my feet wet in both the programming and design, but I have a long way to go in the grand scheme of things.  For me, ideas are the easy part, it's the execution (99% of the work) that I'm working on, so I'm not even close to trying to get a PS4 kit.  At least you have a skillset developed so once you get that idea, you will be able to flesh it out that much easier.

Good luck on coming up with some ideas.

@ethomaz yeah I'm working on my programming skills on PC and I figured that's how it works, but thanks for the advice!

Very cool.  Congrats on having the courage to make a change in your career, I know that's not easy.  Good luck with your gaming projects and learning the ropes, trial and error is the way to learn!  I'm pretty sure the latest PlayStation dev kits and tools use C#, so you may want to familiarize yourself, though if you know C++ it's a pretty smooth transition.

Though I have a strong IT background, I don't have any experience in making games.  Feel free to PM me at any point, maybe we could exchange references on books or websites we've found helpful!

ethomaz said:

Reminds me of the SNES/PS1 JRPG days.
edit: AKA FF and CT

Very cool.  Congrats on having the courage to make a change in your career, I know that's not easy.  Good luck with your gaming projects and learning the ropes, trial and error is the way to learn!  I'm pretty sure the latest PlayStation dev kits and tools use C#, so you may want to familiarize yourself, though if you know C++ it's a pretty smooth transition.

Though I have a strong IT background, I don't have any experience in making games.  Feel free to PM me at any point, maybe we could exchange references on books or websites we've found helpful!

Most definitely!