By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why didn't Nintendo never release a Mario Golf/Mario Tennis on the Wii?

spurgeonryan said:
There was so many other games like that. Plus the sales of the Mario sports titles were not stellar on the Wii. Not bad, but nothing to write home to Miyamoto about either.

the sales of those games werent stellar cause they basically sucked. The striker series was never that good, not even close to quality of the golf or tennis series. Hell sports mix wasnt even made by Ninty they outsourced that to SE and that was a joke. 

Around the Network

OT this is one of the things that pissed me off about WIi those games should have been a forgone conclusion. Hell the first thing i thought about when i saw Wii was "wow Mario Tennis is gonna be the shit" and dont tell me no crap about the new play mechanic garbage. That was a lazy effort at best and was even worst than the original version. Golf and Tennis would have been perfect for a WIimote and we got a soccer game! And Sports mix? What the hell was that?

Sorry to come across as crazy but i was really looking forward to those. But at least EA(of all companies) put out Grand Slam Tennis and it was actually good, crap graphics and all. That eased the pain... a bit.

Oh and if they put either of those series on Wii U, im buying the system used out of spite

oniyide said:
OT this is one of the things that pissed me off about WIi those games should have been a forgone conclusion. Hell the first thing i thought about when i saw Wii was "wow Mario Tennis is gonna be the shit" and dont tell me no crap about the new play mechanic garbage. That was a lazy effort at best and was even worst than the original version. Golf and Tennis would have been perfect for a WIimote and we got a soccer game! And Sports mix? What the hell was that?

Sorry to come across as crazy but i was really looking forward to those. But at least EA(of all companies) put out Grand Slam Tennis and it was actually good, crap graphics and all. That eased the pain... a bit.

Oh and if they put either of those series on Wii U, im buying the system used out of spite

The EA Tiger woods games are also pretty damn good on the Wii, perhaps there was a deal cut with Nintendo not to release their branded sports games in exchange for extra EA support. Doubtful but you never know.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I feel those series weren't really suited especially well to the Wii. Their sales would have been probably cannibalized by Wii Sports. It was more simplicity in age of Wii. Both of them had many technical and arcadey aspects that conflicted with the trends with Wii. They would be fun but, Wii Sports would be better to the casuals.

My Hummingbird

3DS Friend Code: 047387541842

ganoncrotch said:
oniyide said:

The EA Tiger woods games are also pretty damn good on the Wii, perhaps there was a deal cut with Nintendo not to release their branded sports games in exchange for extra EA support. Doubtful but you never know.

Ive heard, but i dont think for second that EA had anything to do with Ninty, well screwing up, thats what it comes down too, not putting games on the system is screwing up IMHO. THere is nothing that would benefit EA or Ninty in that deal. EA games generally did better on the othere systems especially sports games. ninty could make more by actually making their own games. hell the Grand Slam sequel wastn even released on Wii...or WIi U

Around the Network

Nintendo probably figured most people wouldn't have felt very inclined to buy them since they already had a Tennis and Golf game in the form of Wii Sports. How well did other tennis n golf games do on the Wii?

Einsam_Delphin said:
Nintendo probably figured most people wouldn't have felt very inclined to buy them since they already had a Tennis and Golf game in the form of Wii Sports. How well did other tennis n golf games do on the Wii?

how did other tennis and golf games do on Gamecube? not sure i see your point. Soccer games dont fly off the shelves for the Wii but they made a soccer game didnt they?

Is that a double negative in the title?

Doesn't it actually mean "Why did Nintendo ever release..."? :)

oniyide said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

how did other tennis and golf games do on Gamecube? not sure i see your point. Soccer games dont fly off the shelves for the Wii but they made a soccer game didnt they?

The Gamecube wasn't bundled with Wii Sports, so I don't see your point.

They made Mario Strikers Charged, though I don't know how much it or other soccer games sold on the Wii. Also, MSC was in development before the Wii came out, and considering Wii Sports, they probably figured if they were gonna make a sports game they should make it one not in Wii Sports.

Too saturated with those kind of games. There is no way either of those games would have gotten close to 10 million.