By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gears of War 2? Nonsense says Epic

Actually, I've never seen a single Final Fantasy commercial in my entire life, not on the web in the form of those abbhorrent flash pop up's or on tv or even in magazines here. In that regard, games like Halo and Gears are massive attention whores like DMeisterJ is trying to point out.
They're American games with a very American marketing machine, basically spending more on ads than on the game itself (yes that is actually true).

I'm not picking sides here, but there's no reason to point and laugh at an excellent point just because its made by a user whose avatar does not agree with you.
There was a Gears commercial in every break here in tiny Norway and Gears Coke and Gears lunchboxes and headbands in game stores, and Halo had all the above only in much bigger amounts and with twice the bravure.

Around the Network

DMeister J is absolutely right if you read his post. The advertising was so over the top for a game that gamers know really doesn't deserve it.  My God its advertising budget had to be close to how much it took to make the game, lol.  Or that's what it seemed like.

DMeisterJ said:
Hey now. Let's chill. I love Gears one as much as the next person but let's be honest. Final Fantasy has never had midnight launches. It's never been the face of mountain dew. It has never been covered on the news or anything like that. But Gears, and especially Halo 3 had all of those things. I don't mean pimping like making more of the game, I love the game, Epic can make as much of them as they want. I mean all the advertising and whatnot that's gonna come with it. Not a day went by last September that I didn't see a commercial for Halo 3. and the months leading up to it weren't really any better. It felt like a year long launch, rather than one actual day, and I don't want it to happen again, and again I state, that's never happened with a FF.

Didn't coke have a deal with them? Like ff9 characters were on coke cans.

Of course Final Fantasy isn't going to be on Mountain Dew. Sqaure invented its own drink for that.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

tk1797 said:
DMeisterJ said:
Hey now. Let's chill. I love Gears one as much as the next person but let's be honest. Final Fantasy has never had midnight launches. It's never been the face of mountain dew. It has never been covered on the news or anything like that. But Gears, and especially Halo 3 had all of those things. I don't mean pimping like making more of the game, I love the game, Epic can make as much of them as they want. I mean all the advertising and whatnot that's gonna come with it. Not a day went by last September that I didn't see a commercial for Halo 3. and the months leading up to it weren't really any better. It felt like a year long launch, rather than one actual day, and I don't want it to happen again, and again I state, that's never happened with a FF.

Didn't coke have a deal with them? Like ff9 characters were on coke cans.

You're kidding me, right? (this is not aimed at you Claude). When FF7 was about to come out (I remember it well cuz I was a sophmore in high school) they kept placing advertisment all over the U.S. How do you think the franchise became so popular? In fact, they used multiple FMV scenes to show how powerful the PS1 could be. They also had t-shirts, they made all these accessories to whore the shit out of it, including action figures, several spin-offs (that includes the movie where your avatar came out), an energy drink (different from the one above), oh, also most ads and trailers came in popular networks like MTV, Comedy Central, Fox, etc http://www.gadgetmadness.com/archives/20071005-final_fantasy_vii_limited_edition_potion_drink.php Then there's this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWYixECly4Q shall I go on?

What are you looking at, nerd?
Around the Network

maybe there arent developing gears 2 quite yet? maybe a new IP?

jeese, lay off the dude, why is Final Fantasy VII being thrown in his face? I'm pretty sure No game has had the advertising budget that Halo 3 had, and he was just making a point that he hopes that the game doesn't become more hype than game. Man, people get testy sometimes.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

At least the FF series always does new things in each of its installments, and so far have succeeded every time. The only thing that anyone could really have a point against SE is the use of the FF name. SE puts FF on far too many of their titles and creates too many spin-offs. But other than that, the games themselves are always new and refreshing one way or another and there is always a different way to enjoy each new FF/FF spin-off with different game play/settings/stories/characters. Some could argue the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" statement; how about "if it's old, try something new and improve it because it feels like we're reliving the past".

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

wow are they considering not making a sequel to the amazing 5 million selling series!?! now thats nonsense. I'd guarentee 4 million sales on a Gears of War 2.

Swyggi, you're basically supporting our statement. "If it ain't broke, why fix it?" That's what we're arguing here. D Meister wants a FANTASTIC franchise to die cuz it might be MILKED HARDCORE. Who is to say that GoW 2 is gonna have something better to offer? Halo, in my opinion, has added more and better things with each installment, and I have high hopes that Epic can do the same with Gears of War.

What are you looking at, nerd?