By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Dead Rising 3 producer says it’s primarily a horror game, “a comedy game second”

badgenome said:
foodfather said:

There is nothing wrong with this. Dead Rising has some gameplay traits that would simply be inexcusable next gen. Does giving it better gunplay, make it a COD clone, no it doesn't. 

There's a lot wrong with it. Dead Rising was successful enough to turn it into a franchise, and people who bought the previous games bought them to play Dead Rising for the unique game that it was. Aiming for the Call of Duty audience (Capcom Vancouver's words, not mine) is pointless because they stand the risk of losing the Dead Rising fanbase while failing to attract this new group because those people already have a game they like to play: it's called Call of Duty.

And there's something even worse: They aim for the Call of Duty audience in order to sell more, but they've also make the game exclusive. Capcom should get its shit together.

Around the Network
Wright said:

And there's something even worse: They aim for the Call of Duty audience in order to sell more, but they've also make the game exclusive. Capcom should get its shit together.

That much is forgiveable. The first game did well enough as an Xbox exclusive, and I'm sure Microsoft is making it worth their while.

The real problem is that this is part of a larger trend in the industry of taking successful franchises and dumbing them down to appeal to a broader audience that is already well served by other games. Like Jade Raymond lamenting that "nobody likes stealth games" when the first Splinter Cell game did well enough to get five sequels. Why is it suddenly different with Blacklist?

I'm sick of watching series that have always offered a particular indelible experience being Call of Duty-ized and Unchartified. The most frustrating aspect is seeing long time fans of a series be treated as the dumb suckers who will buy it no matter what just because of the name on the box, using their loyalty as a kind of cushion in case chasing the COD audience doesn't pan out. Which it never does because when developers try to make games for everyone, they will usually find that they've made a game for no one.

badgenome said:
Wright said:

That much is forgiveable. The first game did well enough as an Xbox exclusive, and I'm sure Microsoft is making it worth their while.

The real problem is that this is part of a larger trend in the industry of taking successful franchises and dumbing them down to appeal to a broader audience that is already well served by other games. Like Jade Raymond lamenting that "nobody likes stealth games" when the first Splinter Cell game did well enough to get five sequels. Why is it suddenly different with Blacklist?

I'm sick of watching series that have always offered a particular indelible experience being Call of Duty-ized and Unchartified. The most frustrating aspect is seeing long time fans of a series be treated as the dumb suckers who will buy it no matter what just because of the name on the box, using their loyalty as a kind of cushion in case their chasing of the COD audience doesn't pan out. Which it never does because when developers try to make games for everyone, they will usually find that they've made a game for no one.

I just have hope this turns out well. Problem is, Inafune no more. Without his vision, I'm afraid this franchise may run into what it shouldn't have been in the first place. There's people that has been annoyed with some Dead Rising features since the first game, but those people have been the minority. (Or at least, sales should speak in this behalf). But now, they have removed the time-limit due to "complains", and just put it as an extra for those who want it.

So I'm positive this will turn into something I won't particulary enjoy as much as DR1 & 2.

Wright said:

I just have hope this turns out well. Problem is, Inafune no more. Without his vision, I'm afraid this franchise may run into what it shouldn't have been in the first place. There's people that has been annoyed with some Dead Rising features since the first game, but those people have been the minority. (Or at least, sales should speak in this behalf). But now, they have removed the time-limit due to "complains", and just put it as an extra for those who want it.

So I'm positive this will turn into something I won't particulary enjoy as much as DR1 & 2.

Yeah. I thought the terrible final boss in OTR was a pretty big misstep, and if that's an indication of where they're going without Inafune's guidance... ugh.

Inafune is a true genius, and I'm afraid that his departure was not only the death of Dead Rising, but of Capcom as a whole.

badgenome said:

Yeah. I thought the terrible final boss in OTR was a pretty big misstep, and if that's an indication of where they're going without Inafune's guidance... ugh.

Inafune is a true genius, and I'm afraid that his departure was not only the death of Dead Rising, but of Capcom as a whole.

Not exactly, but they're pretty lost without him. They still pump out some good damn game from time to time, though.

OTR, as a whole, was a pretty big misstep because no matter how you want to picture it, it was a purely cash grab. The twist before the final boss surprised me, though. Didn't see that coming.

Around the Network

Looks like it has no horror lol.

Calling in the air strike was definitely horrible, but I didn't see any horror in the trailer.

Capcom have no idea how to handle Dead Rising.

Albicant said:
Calling in the air strike was definitely horrible, but I didn't see any horror in the trailer.

That shit pissed me off. Maybe it's explained somehow, but the ability to call in a goddamned air strike kind of goes against the whole idea of you being a lone survivor fighting zombies with whatever weapons you can scrounge up or cobble together. Seemed like it was just a lazy way to integrate SmartGlass and/or appeal to Calladoody fans.

badgenome said:
Albicant said:

That shit pissed me off. Maybe it's explained somehow, but the ability to call in a goddamned air strike kind of goes against the whole idea of you being a lone survivor fighting zombies with whatever weapons you can scrounge up or cobble together. Seemed like it was just a lazy way to integrate SmartGlass and/or appeal to Calladoody fans.

They clearly want the Mercenaries 2 audience.

Albicant said:

They clearly want the Mercenaries 2 audience.

Damn it, Capcom! That is the wrong Mercenaries!