By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Is Nvidia toying with AMD when it comes to GPU performance?

Nvidia has been toying with ATI and AMD for a long time. They've been leaders for as long as I can member, xcept for the Radeon 9700 and X1900.

But I hate Nvidia.

AMD 4-life.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Slimebeast said:

But I hate Nvidia.

Explain, please.

Simple. Take down the leader and support the underdog, that's my philosophy in almost everything.

Sometimes I try to rationalize my reasons to support a certain player but it's always rooted in my inferiority complex.

AnthonyW86 said:
disolitude said:
AnthonyW86 said:
More like the other way around. AMD currently beats Nvidia at price/performance, power efficiency(though the new 7xxx series made this kind of even) and compute performance.

Bolded is just plain wrong. Power consumption really isn't even close with the 680 vs HD7000 series... 

And in terms of price to performance, yeah thats all they have going for them. Being cheaper and bundling games.

Sorry to say but isn't that the only thing that matters to most people? Being cheaper at the same performance level? A Titan is fast but at $800-$1000 it's not exactly affordable for the general public. And it's only the GTX 680 that's more power efficient when compared to the high clocked HD7970. Lower down the line it's even or a slight advantage to AMD.

But I am talking about high end here GPU performance. Not discussing which is better value or which people are or should be buying...

When it comes to price, both companies offer cards at prices they are able to sell them at. Its clear that Nvidia is able to ask more for their cards that have same performance as AMD... I don't see how you could say AMD is toying with Nvidia if they are selling cards cheaper and bunding 4 AAA games. They would not do that unless they had to...

When it comes to high end GPUS, things like adaptive VSYNC, better frame render times and less microstuttering in SLI, 3D Vision, upcoming Nvidia Shield, better thermals and power consumption...This is obviously something people are willing to pay a price premium for otherwise it would be Nvidia that is cheaper and bundling games. 

I've heard that AMD GPUs are better for 3d modeling programs. That is one main reason I have to stick with AMD no matter what the future holds. Is this true?

CGI-Quality said:
AnthonyW86 said:
disolitude said:
AnthonyW86 said:
More like the other way around. AMD currently beats Nvidia at price/performance, power efficiency(though the new 7xxx series made this kind of even) and compute performance.

Bolded is just plain wrong. Power consumption really isn't even close with the 680 vs HD7000 series... 

And in terms of price to performance, yeah thats all they have going for them. Being cheaper and bundling games.

Sorry to say but isn't that the only thing that matters to most people? Being cheaper at the same performance level? A Titan is fast but at $800-$1000 it's not exactly affordable for the general public. And it's only the GTX 680 that's more power efficient when compared to the high clocked HD7970. Lower down the line it's even or a slight advantage to AMD.

They aren't at the same performance level, though. Why buy an nVIDIA card at all if that is the case?

What do you mean with performance levels? Anything up to $400- bucks AMD can match any Nvidia card in performance. Sure the absolute performance crown goes to Nvidia when you look at a very expensive titan, though AMD could probably make a chip to even compete with that if they really wanted to. There is just no point in it though.

And with all next gen consoles using AMD gpu's, yes why would anyone buy an Nvidia card for gaming?

Around the Network

Leave AMD alone you sick bullies!

But yeah, Nvidia has been the comfortable market leader for quite some time now, though I don't think it interfered with their roadmap. TSMC would be a much more likely "culprit" considering they're responsible for the manufacturing processes and thus yields, wafer density etc.

Next year will be interesting to see anyways. All these >300W TDP cards!

disolitude said:
AnthonyW86 said:
disolitude said:
AnthonyW86 said:

But I am talking about high end here GPU performance. Not discussing which is better value or which people are or should be buying...

When it comes to price, both companies offer cards at prices they are able to sell them at. Its clear that Nvidia is able to ask more for their cards that have same performance as AMD... I don't see how you could say AMD is toying with Nvidia if they are selling cards cheaper and bunding 4 AAA games. They would not do that unless they had to...

When it comes to high end GPUS, things like adaptive VSYNC, better frame render times and less microstuttering in SLI, 3D Vision, upcoming Nvidia Shield, better thermals and power consumption...This is obviously something people are willing to pay a price premium for otherwise it would be Nvidia that is cheaper and bundling games. 

HD7970 IS high-end, we are talking $400+ here and close 200W power consumption. Anything higher is absolute enthusiast level. Sure they could make a $2000 gpu that blows away anything AMD currently offers but that's not what i would call toying with the competition.

@CGI-Quality
Yeah I haven't done any comparisons either. For what I'm doing my setup is fine. I will upgrade in a couple years as needed.

haxxiy said:

Leave AMD alone you sick bullies!

But yeah, Nvidia has been the comfortable market leader for quite some time now, though I don't think it interfered with their roadmap. TSMC would be a much more likely "culprit" considering they're responsible for the manufacturing processes and thus yields, wafer density etc.

Next year will be interesting to see anyways. All these >300W TDP cards!

Hey don't kill the messenger... I tried to support AMD. :)

I switched my GTX 670s to dual 7950s hen I changed my 3570k rig to an FX-8350. 

Very happy with the FX8350, but the 7950s are not doing it for me. First crossfire setup and first time I've ever noticed microstuttering lol...never had problems with my previous 3 SLI setups. 

Irrelevant - once we switch to fully streaming gaming world via " cloud" and some sort of ray/path/voxel tracing/casting, it would be Intel that will dominate with Xeon Phi descendants.

/end random prediction