By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Miyamoto's take on new IP's right?

I’m talking about this quote Miyamoto said in a recent interview:

But the question that we always ask is: “Does a new character really make it a new game?” And to me, the answer to that is, “No.” What makes it a new game is new gameplay and new interactions.[1]

I’m a big Nintendo fan, but unlike many others I’ve always wanted a real new big IP made by them, like Pikmin was a new IP for the Gamecube. But I actually kind of agree with Miyamoto here. Let’s look at some examples of new gameplay-ideas combined with older IP’s 

Although Luigi’s Mansion is about older Nintendo-characters, the gameplay is totally new and I can’t think of any other game that has comparable gameplay. The same with Kirby’s Epic Yarn, a platformer with new types of ideas but with an old character, Kirby. Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi are some of the best RPG’s I’ve ever played (more than the new IP Ni No Kuni), despite being about Mario again. Super Smash is a really unique fighter that could have new characters. Mario & Donkey Kong is once again a unique (puzzle) game, but with older characters. Wario Ware is a fun microgame collection with really no other game like it. Also all the Mario sport games are fun, would you rather have a sports game with all new characters you don’t know yet? And there are probably many more examples like this. 

Don’t get me wrong. I still want a new IP made by Nintendo, but I think is it really difficult to come up with a new type of gameplay AND new characters and a new universe that has to appeal to the mass and I think Nintendo really has to take its time for this. Mario and others are really strong sale-boosters for Nintendo, but the games featuring them aren’t necessarily ‘recycled’, instead they can be completely new (genres).

I’ve also seen Sony getting much praise for releasing new IP’s constantly, like the recently launched The Last of Us. Although this game being a new IP, the gameplay itself isn’t new or revolutionary at all. The gameplay is almost exactly the same as MGS, Dishonored, Deus Ex and Hitman (crouch to make less noise, rape an enemy from behind, hide the body, throw with stuff to distract the enemy). Also Resistance is a new IP (but a pretty regular shooter), inFamous (pretty much comparable with other superhero open-world games like Prototype, Spiderman games), PSASBR (inferior version of Super Smash). LBP is the only really new IP made by Sony that I enjoyed a lot and actually felt new.

So in conclusion I prefer Nintendo’s way of doing new games. Most of their games are featuring Mario and such, but the gameplay is what really distinguishes itself from most other games this generation, that tend to focus on graphics and story-telling, and not thinking of unique gameplay-mechanics. But like most Nintendo-fans, let’s hope they come with a new game like Pikmin, but let them take their time for this (Miyamoto actually IS working on something new, if I remember correctly) to make it something really unique that can go on for years.

[1]: http://mynintendonews.com/2013/07/06/miyamoto-what-makes-a-new-game-is-new-gameplay-and-new-interactions-not-new-characters/

Around the Network

No, he's wrong. Imagine Valkyria Chronicles with a Gears of War aesthetic, a nu metal soundtrack, and story by Hideo Kojima. Even if the mechanics were exactly the same, it wouldn't be the same game.

No it's not right.

Pikmin 3 still plays a lot like Pikmin 1 and 2. Mario 3D World ... plays a lot like previous 3D Marios.

Unless you are willing to break free from these paradigms you can't create something completely new. Because Nintendo's franchises have requirements too, and certain things can only be changed so much.

Also even games like Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty have new gameplay mechanics and a new "concept" every year (in AC, sometimes even radically different settings to boot). But I don't consider these new franchises each time out.

Wii Sports would not have been as successful as it was if it was Mario Sports. Nor would Brain Training have taken off if it was Mario's Math Center or something.

Adults would've stayed away. Slapping a mascot character onto every game can sometimes turn people off, that's something else that Nintendo doesn't seem to understand still, which is stunning given the success of Wii Sports.

The more "cartoony" and stylized Nintendo Land for example has had nowhere near the success of Wii Sports, and I think that is part of the reason why.

badgenome said:
No, he's wrong. Imagine Valkyria Chronicles with a Gears of War aesthetic, a nu metal soundtrack, and story by Hideo Kojima. Even if the mechanics were exactly the same, it wouldn't be the same game.

I would actually really like a game like that. I'm probably one of the only people that still likes nu metal.

VGPolyglot said:

I would actually really like a game like that. I'm probably one of the only people that still likes nu metal.

You said you're Canadian, right? Is your name Chad Kroeger?

Around the Network
badgenome said:
VGPolyglot said:

You said you're Canadian, right? Is your name Chad Kroeger?

Somebody actually told me that I look like Chad Kroeger before. I think Nickelback are considered Post-Grunge though.

It is not about a new charackter

it's a combination of new style,new settings,different gameplay ,different dynamics.I still don't see very much difference between mario galaxy 1+2 (even the similarities between mario 64 and galaxy2 are huge)and replacing mario with luigi does not change very much with 2d.
Nintendo really needs a new miyamoto ip and not just slightly modified old games
but on the other hand:if miyamoto does not want to make a new game or does not have the creativity(with 60years this can happen) than it is better not to make a new ip.Something with 0 inspiration and done with urge would just damage his reputation and people don't need another anti-game(?) like wii music.

He's not the genius people think he is. He doesn't know how to make a game without the Mario brothers so he's making excuses.

HipHopGodd said:
He's not the genius people think he is. He doesn't know how to make a game without the Mario brothers so he's making excuses.

Except for Zelda, Pikmin and Wii-X games. That's like saying Kojima is a bad game-director because he only makes MGS. 

He's not right. You may like his way of doing things, but that doesn't make it more right.

This is subjective, of course.