By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When Will the PS4 Pass the WiiU in Lifetime Sales?

When Will the PS4 Pass the WiiU in Lifetime Sales?

In November - during the PS4 launch month 43 8.58%

By the end of 2013 73 14.57%

By March 2014 90 17.96%

By June 2014 44 8.78%

By September 2014 18 3.59%

By the end of 2014 68 13.57%

2015 or later 46 9.18%

Never! 58 11.58%

Who cares about the PS4 a... 6 1.20%

See Results 55 10.98%

Total:501

By the end of 2014. WiiU will sell at least a couple million more by holidays end this year. Even if PS4 sells 2 million by years end it'll still be a several million system gap by year's end. PS4 just can't supply enough this holiday to keep up I think (though I hope I'm wrong and they get it out early and in abundance). PS4 will outsell it on a week to week basis starting in January though I think and close the gap while getting some awesome exclusives (20 in the first year) to match Nintendo's big hitters in hardware pickup. Don't get me wrong I'm sure Mario World and Mario Kart will sell more than any Sony exclusive but the bevy of exclusives and online offerings along with 3rd party support will get a lot better word of mouth out for PS than Nintendo. That being said I think I'll pick up a WiiU BF 2014 if I can find a nice bundle with Smash (if it's out) or Mario Kart or Mario World or Tropical Freeze. I plan on enjoying Sony and Nintendo as I always have.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

not until the next nintendo home console launches (2017 maybe)

Egann said:
Osc89 said:

Eight years is a long time, especially for a Nintendo console. How is the Wii U expected to outlast every other Nintendo console when it is currently selling less than the Gamecube (which only lasted 4-5 years)?

They would be better off launching something mid-gen anyway. Maybe test the waters with a hybrid console, as 2017 - 2019 is also when they would be expected to replace the 3DS. Another "third pillar" strategy, that keeps support for the other consoles.

The Gamecube lasted five years from its launch to the Wii's launch. For comparison, the XBox lasted four and the PS2 lived six. Even a "failed" Nintendo console had an average lifespan for that generation's consoles. Average Sony's ten year plan and Microsoft's twelve years and you get eleven years. New Nintendo hardware due out 2023.

Even assuming the Wii U sales never pick up--which is questionable considering the titles in the pipe, the fuctionality, and price--Nintendo is likely to just stick it out. Sales don't determine how long a generation lasts so much as how much the company can make. Home consoles are just not lucritive enough a business anymore to justify the R&D for a console which Microsoft and Sony will make obsolete in three or four years.

And it's definitely not worth risking Nintendo's bread-winner portables on.

Sony and Microsoft's long plans include overlap between generations. They are more likely to release new consoles 7-8 years from now than 10-12, but continue selling the old ones. Nintendo doesn't have the same kind of overlap, so don't have as much flexibility on when they release a new console. Otherwise you end up with what they had this time, which was a bunch of Wii owners moving on to the PS360. Waiting too long damages sales of the successor.

It's not that easy to just stick out low sales. Producing in small numbers increases the cost of the hardware, so they won't be able to drop the price as quickly.

And the last big risk they took with handhelds paid off with the DS. They have already merged console and handheld divisions, so there is a good chance of another "third pillar" strategy here.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

This year it will surpass Wii U's first 10 months.