By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - How Did the Image of the American Spy Derail?

I remember Growing Up and having so much fun wacthin movies about american spies and reading book and comics about it...I remember having conversation at game stores and comic book shops about how awesome a american spy is an how much DudeBro essence was needed to be one..Here are some classic

And Nowadays it seems that people are shifting into this anti american spy mob...

Like people with the whole Kinect will be wacthing you...Also I have a friend from real life that post nothing but anti goverment melodrama based on the whole spy on us thing on face book..it's some sort of delusional paranoia and I'm sick of of it!

Anyone one feel this way?

Anyone want to make a reasonable effort at justify this anti intelligence paranoia?

Around the Network

Largely by the belief that spies operated in their own world: Spies targeted other spies, and this was largely true when other nations formed the prime national security threat, and a lot of this super-cool "international intrigue" stuff still goes on, daily, endlessly, like the Israeli Massad deep-infiltrating the Iranian nuclear program and assassinating some of their engineers.

Domestic spying has *never* been romanticized. That conjures images more of the Cheka or the NKVD, who have always been seen as villainous.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

It still bugs me that civilian Americans are outraged at domestic spying even when it is primarily aimed at terrorist suspects.......

Sorry, average American, the CIA isn't tapping your phone because you don't know what to buy for your friends birthday.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
It still bugs me that civilian Americans are outraged at domestic spying even when it is primarily aimed at terrorist suspects.......

Sorry, average American, the CIA isn't tapping your phone because you don't know what to buy for your friends birthday.

The problem we have is that the definition of "terrorist suspect" can easily change to meet somebody's needs. I myself am a fan of a controversial political group that can be considered "terrorist" by some individuals. Under the current "guilty by association" method, I could be arrested for liking the wrong combination of people on Facebook.

Love and tolerate.

Salnax said:
sales2099 said:

The problem we have is that the definition of "terrorist suspect" can easily change to meet somebody's needs. I myself am a fan of a controversial political group that can be considered "terrorist" by some individuals. Under the current "guilty by association" method, I could be arrested for liking the wrong combination of people on Facebook.

Well if you "like" the Hezbolah Facebook group for example, if one such exists, then I suppose that would qualify you for wire tapping in their eyes, since you would in some way share their ideals, in theory. But if you have nothing to hide then they don't care about little infraction you happen to say and will move on to someone else. Its meant to find things that can compromise national security.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Largely by the belief that spies operated in their own world: Spies targeted other spies, and this was largely true when other nations formed the prime national security threat, and a lot of this super-cool "international intrigue" stuff still goes on, daily, endlessly, like the Israeli Massad deep-infiltrating the Iranian nuclear program and assassinating some of their engineers.

Domestic spying has *never* been romanticized. That conjures images more of the Cheka or the NKVD, who have always been seen as villainous.

Note to self: Decline any job offers from Iran after graduation as Radio Protection Engineer.

in my opinion you americans sounds paranoic sometimes.

Click HERE and be happy 

Hey look! Movies make american spies look badass so spying must be awesome! Welcome to the real world bro.

you can track people,spy at people,violate the constitution
and there are still people here calling people who do not want that paranoid?
What the hell must happen to start just a little bit with critical thinking?

Seems Charlotte Iserbyt was 100% right with her book"the deliberate dumbing down of america"

People are only shocked because they now know THEY are the ones being spied on. Not only some faceless terrorists in the far east, average Joe from the block also is on the list. Do you think anyone in Germany cared about privacy until the police was given the right to install trojans on computers of terror suspects and predictably abused this power in some cases? Until it hits them home, people won't give a rat's ass about anything.