By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Cross cultural study (your assistance is greatly appreciated)

Did you find the skit funny?

Yes 3 12.50%

I understood it but I didn't find it funny 6 25.00%

I did not understand it much 15 62.50%

Total:24

1. I didn't understood what the radio guy said.

2. No

3. I have never been able to understand Jamaicans properly, although I have no problems with the British accent.

4. Well I lived 14 years in Venezuela but now I live in Costa Rica. I never had any contact with English speaking people until I was 16 years old when I go to a international class (basically people from all over the world in one class for about 6 months only speaking English), I meet people from the U.S, Canada, UK, Germany and France, but no Jamaicans lol

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
Weedlab said:
finalrpgfantasy said:
1. I nearly understand everything what the female character in the car was saying but the characters in the radio
station were talking gibberish.
2. It wasn't boring to watch, but I didn't find it funny.
3. Perhaps it would be funny if you can comprehend what the guys were saying.
4. I'm from Puerto Rico.

Muy interesante, mi amigo ... Y Si, estoy de acuerdo. Muchas gracias

De nada y suerte con el trabajo de investigación.

osed125 said:

1. I didn't understood what the radio guy said.

2. No

3. I have never been able to understand Jamaicans properly, although I have no problems with the British accent.

4. Well I lived 14 years in Venezuela but now I live in Costa Rica. I never had any contact with English speaking people until I was 16 years old when I go to a international class (basically people from all over the world in one class for about 6 months only speaking English), I meat people from the U.S, Canada, UK, Germany and France, but no Jamaicans lol

haha thank you for the feed, good sir. It will definitely help me with what I am doing. Seems like the radio guy is the problem. lulz The lady is an 'upper class' Jamaican who is more akin to a British person. The radio guy is pure hardcore Jamaican creole lulz.

It is very interesting to see how many people here stem from Spanish/Hispanic/Latin cultures.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

1 Did you comprehend it?

Most of it, but I had a hard time trying to understanding what the man at the studio was saying.

2 Did you find it funny?

Only the beginning (when the woman calls the radio). But overall I did not found it funny.

3 Why or why not?

Perhaps because I could not understand perfectly what the guy at the studio was saying, I was more concentrating in trying to understanding him than anything else.

4 What cultural background do you come from? (you can also elaborate on your exposure ... for instance you may be Chinese but made Jamaican friends in college so you understand their parlance).

Brazilian and most of friends are Brazilian. I had the opportunity to travel to many different places in Brazil (most of the country) and South American (from Venezuela to Ushuaia-Argentina) so a could interact with many types of different people. I had classes of Spanish in past and I watched a lot of TV programs in Spanish during my childhood (especially from Argentina and Mexico). Finally, I like the British and Japanese humor.

DarkTemplar said:
1 Did you comprehend it?

Most of it, but I had a hard time trying to understanding what the man at the studio was saying.

2 Did you find it funny?

Only the beginning (when the woman calls the radio). But overall I did not found it funny.

3 Why or why not?

Perhaps because I could not understand perfectly what the guy at the studio was saying, I was more concentrating in trying to understanding him than anything else.

4 What cultural background do you come from? (you can also elaborate on your exposure ... for instance you may be Chinese but made Jamaican friends in college so you understand their parlance).

Brazilian and most of friends are Brazilian. I had the opportunity to travel to many different places in Brazil (most of the country) and South American (from Venezuela to Ushuaia-Argentina) so a could interact with many types of different people. I had classes of Spanish in past and I watched a lot of TV programs in Spanish during my childhood (especially from Argentina and Mexico). Finally, I like the British and Japanese humor.

Very interesting. Very detailed. I like! Obrigado!

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Around the Network

1 Did you comprehend it?

Yes

2 Did you find it funny?

No, it all seemed pretty stupid to me.

3 Why or why not?

Nothing stood out to me as funny, just people arguing over things in a accent I can barely understand.

4 What cultural background do you come from? (you can also elaborate on your exposure ...  for instance you may be Chinese but made Jamaican friends in college so you understand their parlance).

I am African America, I have been raised in Texas, I don't know spanish. Even though most of the people I have been around know it and speak it on around me constantly. Maybe I don't find this funny because I grew up with people arguing all of the time, and don't get me wrong at times it was hilarious. But this one just seemed dumb and played out.

1 Did you comprehend it?

Nope, had absolutely no idea what they were saying. Random noise to me

2 Did you find it funny?

Not at all

3 Why or why not?

Couldn't translate the language into English

White, white, and nothing but white. Black people who act white here and there I suppose.

1. I understand the lady and the radio host on the left. The one on the right I have trouble understanding.

2. I don't know where the humour was, honestly.

3. I didn't find anything said particularly funny. I wouldn't even know it was intended to be comedy you didn't tell me.

4. I'm Spanish. Lived in the UK for 7 years and now live in Japan. I have friends from Europe, US, South America, Asia... and our humour is not that different in general. I don't think any of my friends would find it funny. No exposure to "Jamaican humour" though, if such thing exists.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

I was rasied in New york City so I met alot o jamaicans in school and at retail jobs...I thought it was pretty funny...it was qued right since that's not what the original voice over for that crank yankers epsode was..

1. I couldn't understand anything the radiodude was saying
2. The accent was funny. But overall, it wasn't funny.
3. In the beginning, the woman talks about jesus and God and how she is upset about the way the guys from the radio talk about it. This is enough to get me frustrated at a point I will not laugh for the rest of the video.
4. I come from an average Belgian family. I like british comedy, fawlty towers and monty python are 2 of my highest rated comedies ever.