By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Predictions...

Worldwide totals: Nov. 500K 500K Dec. 900K 1.4M Jan. 1M 2.4M Feb. 1.2M 3.6M Mar. 1.2M 4.8M I'm thinking Sony will miss the 6M PS3 mark by 1.2M, and will announce a $50 or $100 price cut for the U.S. and a $50 price cut for Japan on March 31st. This is if things go wrong: Nov. 500K 500K Dec. 900K 1.4M Jan. 1M 2.4M Feb. 600K 3M Mar. 600K 3.6M Missing the mark by 2.4M, but still announcing the U.S. price cut. (Industry reports think Sony will drop the price around 4-6M sold, and March 31st (the end of their fiscal year) would be perfect for their share prices.

Around the Network

Don't forget Sony is shipping the PS3 to Europe in March. They would be stupid not to ship at least 2 million at launch.

These are the totals that I think are going to be for the world. If everything goes absolutely perfect, here's the list: Nov. 500K 500K Dec. 900K 1.4M Jan. 1.2M 2.6M Feb. 1.5M 4.1M Mar. 2M 6.1M I don't think this can happen, because something will probably go wrong, but it would be really good if they did, because a lot more developers would release their games earlier! (And they would hit their mark of 6M!!!)

Why would developers release their games sooner if it sold more? Deciding when games launch is a combination of when they are finished and what time of year is earmarked for launch. It's not as simple as rushing a product to market because of a pickup in hardware sales. And there's no way in hell that PS3 will be anywhere near 6mil by march

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

I agree with Sieanr. I can't speak on other regions of the world but I can speak on the US. In the US, the PS3 is starting to pile up on store shelves. The 360 on the other hand was difficult to find well into April. There is no way the PS3 hits 6 million by May. I don't think they will even ship that many to begin with. Sony better hope for a dominating performance in Europe because they are really lagging behind in the States and the Wii is stomping all over it in Japan.

Around the Network

ollin said: Don't forget Sony is shipping the PS3 to Europe in March. They would be stupid not to ship at least 2 million at launch.
Even if Sony is able to ship 2 million consoles at launch to Europe I don't think PS3 will sell through that amount to customers in a short period Remember that Sony will ship only 60GB models to Europe. This one will cost 599€ Euros which are about 773 US Dollars. IMO that'll be a big obstacle to overcome even for the enthusiasts. And for movies on BluRay, I don't think that'll be a big factor in Europe when you look at the average price for BDs: Its about 42 Dollars on Amazon.co.uk and 43 Dollars on Amazon.de (Germany). Maybe the prices will drop a bit until March but I don't think it's going to be that significant to make BluRay-movies attractive to customers. Especially in Germany where "stinginess is wicked" is a slogan of one of the biggest retailers. But let's just see how the PS3 will perform in Europe after it's launch

I think the ps3 will ship 5.5m by the end of the finacial year and have sold through approx. 4.5m as for installed base by the end of the year 2007.... Japan: 3.9m (2006 sales +3.4m ( average of 65k/week) USA: 7.3m (2006 sales +6.5m( average of 125k/week) Europe:3.75m (750k first 2 weeks then 40 weeks of 75k/week) Total: 15m sold to customer...

It looks like I was really close to what many analysts are now saying: I said about 4.8M is everything went good, they said 4.5M.

sieanr said: Why would developers release their games sooner if it sold more? Deciding when games launch is a combination of when they are finished and what time of year is earmarked for launch. It's not as simple as rushing a product to market because of a pickup in hardware sales. And there's no way in hell that PS3 will be anywhere near 6mil by march
You can't tell me that a lot of developers aren't holding the game until there are more consoles. Look at all these games that have been held back. I would assume that most were at first held back because it's a lot harder to develop for than a lot of developers thought, but when a lot of games that cost a lot of money to make (don't forget how a developer said that they have to sell 500K copies to make a profit), you have to think about why they are pushing them back. With a measly 150K for the U.S. and 80K for Japan, it was nearly impossible for the developers to earn much money. So, with games like Sonic and Oblivion, they are probably pushed back a little to make up for not completing the game, but they get pushed back even more so there are more prospective buyers. The time that a game makes the largest amount of sales is when it launches, so developers want a lot of consoles to be released, so they can earn a lot of money. And doesn't the large amount of PS3 games around March make you think that the Euro launch is going to get a lot of great games is more than just a coincidence?

Hive said: ollin said: Don't forget Sony is shipping the PS3 to Europe in March. They would be stupid not to ship at least 2 million at launch. Even if Sony is able to ship 2 million consoles at launch to Europe I don't think PS3 will sell through that amount to customers in a short period Remember that Sony will ship only 60GB models to Europe. This one will cost 599€ Euros which are about 773 US Dollars. IMO that'll be a big obstacle to overcome even for the enthusiasts. And for movies on BluRay, I don't think that'll be a big factor in Europe when you look at the average price for BDs: Its about 42 Dollars on Amazon.co.uk and 43 Dollars on Amazon.de (Germany). Maybe the prices will drop a bit until March but I don't think it's going to be that significant to make BluRay-movies attractive to customers. Especially in Germany where "stinginess is wicked" is a slogan of one of the biggest retailers. But let's just see how the PS3 will perform in Europe after it's launch
Well I am from Europe ,in Spain ,and I can say you the Blu Ray movies are at the exact same price as the HDDVD ones ...and thats 24 euros not 42 .Already in the shops and at that price not more not less . There are many people waiting here for the Playstation 3 and that have had many time to put apart money ....sales will be good even with the high price tag .Besides ,it remains to be seen if only the 60 Gb console will be released here .