By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - George Zimmerman Trial

I'm still convinced that this whole mess is just an giant advertising scheme by skittles and Arizona iced tea. I can't tell u how many times I've heard them say he was walking back with a bag of skittles and an iced tea.

Anyways I think we can all agree on one thing: that the media turned this case into a circus with all the misinformation they provided and lack of professionalism they've shown.

Around the Network
-CraZed- said:
enditall727 said:

To be fair, "nigga" was a way of spinning the other word if you know what i mean. You have to understand that it's not exactly the same word.

The hilarious thing is that everybody says "nigga" now. EVERYBODY! Blacks, whites, spanish, Asian and everything else

No, not everybody is using the word Nigga. Not all blacks and crertainly not all people of other ethnicities. Sure there are those who do use it bt you can bet they only use it with those black people they know and are comfortable with. If some stupid cheesy ass white person came up to someone black they did not know saying "Yo, what up my Nigga?!" you can be assured they probably won't get a handshake out of it. Growing up in So Cal showe dme quite a bit about 'interracial relations'.  I've seen all sides of this stuff.

True

Well i dont mean like EVERY single person but i'm saying that you can go out casually to a Mall and see other races saying it these days.

I'm cool with people of all races so i grew up around and witnessed it aswell. I see it all the time

I was talking to this one girl over the phone and she said that she was talking to this asain guy at a specific time and he told her that she needs to stop messing around and "get with a real nigga". He was talking about himself. There was another time when i was at school and i didn't finish the homework that was due. We had 3 days to finish it. So i seen one of my friends(he is mexican) and i was like "hey let me get the homework so i can copy it before 5th period real quick" and he was like "Damn nigga! You still didn't finish it!?"

There were numerous other times aswell. Like you said, they all were cool with a lot of black people though lol

-CraZed- said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
haxxiy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Cracker isn't a racist term, its another word for a slave owner with a whip or cowman with a whip. Crack as in crack of the whip, not saltine cracker. I guess some never let slavery go. Ignorance is ignorance, but cracker isn't a racist term. If anything everytime a black person says it historically it demeans them. Its like saying "oppressor"

Etymology can't be used to justify whether a term is racist or not.  That's a kind of genetic fallacy. Otherwise I could just say nigger simply means black-colored instead of anything offensive since that's what the original latin term means.

You do know when black people says Nigga, they are demeaning themselves right? Its ignorance. He even called Zimmerman a "Nigga", which means "guy" interchangably if you paid attention to the testimony. 

Most African Americans don't even know the reason why they say cracker, they just say it, but they aren't doing their ancestors any favors. 

So by your rationale Paula Dean shoud have her TV show and endorsement deals reinstated if she claims she was ignorant of why she used the N word. TM or many black Americans may not know what the geneology of that word is but they sure as hell know it is dereogatory and demeaning. Him using the N word in no way dimishes the specific term cracker. So if I wanted to lessen the blow of calling a black person the N word I could just call him a cracker or peckerwood or honkey or even "guy" within the same conversation and that should negate ANY negative reaction from said black person.

Yeah you go out and try that in real world application and see how long you keep your teeth. Hell, I'm white and I'd probably be happy to help you rearrange your dental work.

You sure are an angry fellow. Paula Dean admitted that she is a product of the south and that she made a mistake those years ago. Its not like shes saying she wasn't prejudiced but has not denied growth through time and experience. The question therin which I cannot answer because I believe a person is not to be ultimately judged if they are changed individuals. Paula Dean is in the hot seat because investors don't want to have anything to do with a person who says those things and it doesnt matter how long ago. Its the same reason athletes lose their endorsements for making stupid decisions, you're a public figure and you must accept the repercussions for your dirty laundry reaching the public eye. 

Historically speaking, yes both terms are derogitory in modern lingo no matter how much people spin it (One out of fear the other out of hatred). The confusion of it all is within the context in which the word is you. If you talk to an actual Cracker on a farm in central florida, he'll accept the term with pride. If you say it to the common man its an issue. Again, I understand the difference and of course do not condone it. Some people just want to pick sides in a fight, I just look at both sides and walk away. Either help the ignorant or they will waste themselves away themselves.

mtu9356 said:
I'm still convinced that this whole mess is just an giant advertising scheme by skittles and Arizona iced tea. I can't tell u how many times I've heard them say he was walking back with a bag of skittles and an iced tea.

Anyways I think we can all agree on one thing: that the media turned this case into a circus with all the misinformation they provided and lack of professionalism they've shown.

Exactly. One bit of misinformation as well is that this is a black and white case as well because Zimmerman is a male of Peruvian descent. Thats the major reason why the case is so big.

Zimmerman killed someone because he showed poor judgement...no one would be dead if Zimmerman stayed in his car...I tend to think someone who is minor and notices someone following them and then hides...probably did not start it.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
enditall727 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
haxxiy said:

Etymology can't be used to justify whether a term is racist or not.  That's a kind of genetic fallacy. Otherwise I could just say nigger simply means black-colored instead of anything offensive since that's what the original latin term means.

You do know when black people says Nigga, they are demeaning themselves right? Its ignorance. He even called Zimmerman a "Nigga", which means "guy" interchangably if you paid attention to the testimony. 

Most African Americans don't even know the reason why they say cracker, they just say it, but they aren't doing their ancestors any favors. 

To be fair, "nigga" was a way of spinning the other word if you know what i mean. You have to understand that it's not exactly the same word.

The hilarious thing is that everybody says "nigga" now. EVERYBODY! Blacks, whites, spanish, Asian and everything else

Yes it is hilarious that a lot of people are using it, but obviously its kept within certain communities and it can only be used outside if you command the same dialect...

Its a spin on the word, but ignorance allowed it to breed itself from a similar term. You can use it in peaceful situations and you can use it in heated situations and obviously with black people the world "nigga" holds no racial barrier, however, when one does not understand why the term has been deformed mass confusion ensues, especially when blacks get angry when non-blacks use it. Hypocrisy....there is no spin if certain people cannot use it. It shouldn't be said at all, even within a community.

Yea i see what you're saying but it's only hypocritical to some. There are black people who don't give a damn about others saying it and there are some who still get mad

I posted a comment in another thread about this a while back

You know who Eminem and 50 Cent is, right?

Here is a video of 50 Cent basically saying that he doesn't care if Eminem says the N word

Now check out this fight and pay close attention to how many times the white kid says the N word

silentdj151 said:
Zimmerman killed someone because he showed poor judgement...no one would be dead if Zimmerman stayed in his car...I tend to think someone who is minor and notices someone following them and then hides...probably did not start it.

Always a treat when someone completely clueless chimes in who has not watched a single minute of the proceedings pawns off their vociferous nonsense as a substantiated case. 

Go watch the trial you ignorant person.

its very clear that TM attacked Zimmerman. 

Veracity said:
silentdj151 said:

Always a treat when someone completely clueless chimes in who has not watched a single minute of the proceedings pawns off their vociferous nonsense as a substantiated case. 

No one in the case is a saint. If Zimmerman would've listened to the dispatch officer and left Trayvon alone nothing would've occured and this case would never have been so big because it would've been kept within the community. Its quite clear Trayvon beat up Zimmerman, but no one knows how the issue was initiated. We're only taking this on everyones word which is why this case is so big and heated. It lets peoples bias grow on both sides. There were only two witnessed events which anyone can truly testify for which was the instance where trayvon was ontop of Zimmerman and after Zimmerman shot Trayvon and was ontop of Trayvon. Those are the only two eyewitnessed events. The phone call was the only earwitness event and that blew up in the face of the prosecution because the girl was brutally honest in her demeanor and phrasing.

The case is no longer being judged on the factors of who followed who anymore though. The whole purpose of the recent hearings are to find out whether it was murder or self defense. It could go either way but so far the defense is having a field day with the prosecution. Its one of the most backwards cases I've ever seen.

silentdj151 said:

noone would be dead if travon didnt attack zimmerman.

leaving your car isnt illegal... assaulting someone is. zimmerman was well within his rights

Veracity said:
silentdj151 said:

Veracity, will you calm down?

Nothing he said was wrong, was it?

Take a step back and look at the big picture. Yes, Trayvon seems to have attacked Zimmerman but for what? Something obviously happened when they confronted each other.

He thought he was suspicious for what? Was he doing backflips in peoples yards or something? Was he peeping in peoples windows? No, he was just simply walking home from the store. Why not just leave it alone and let the kid walk home? Trayvon turned around and confronted the guy that kept following him, right?

Correct me if i'm wrong

There is no proof that he was going to rob somebodies house.

You probably just have no sympathy for him because he said the "creepy cracker following me" thing and i  understand that but still