By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Any recommendations for a new power supply to go with a 4090 and 5950x, particularly one that will be compatible with the new connectors?

Around the Network
TallSilhouette said:

Any recommendations for a new power supply to go with a 4090 and 5950x, particularly one that will be compatible with the new connectors?

Hard to tell without seeing any reviews about how they handle transient loads. Seasonic and Evga for example had PSUs that were too touchy with them while others had PSUs that were more optimized to handle them.

Personally I am gonna either stick with my Corsair or get Asus Loki PSU.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

AMD Hit With Weak PC Demand As Desktop, Notebook Sales Tank By 40%

https://wccftech.com/amd-hit-with-weak-pc-demand-as-desktop-notebook-sales-tank-by-40/

This isn't exclusive to AMD as Nvidia and Intel are all largely down in sales.

Yep. With the economy fears and the energy prices we have right now, it's not the best time to renew your systems. Even more so if the new hardware is more expensive and also uses more power.

That may be one of the many reasons Zen4 isn't selling as well, and also why it will be interesting to see how many Ada cards does Nvidia sell at those prices.

Captain_Yuri said:

TSMC Might Face Revenue Shock As AMD’s PC Shipments Fall Says Analyst

https://wccftech.com/tsmc-might-face-revenue-shock-as-amds-pc-shipments-fall-says-analyst/

Certainly if there's one company that needs to get slapped, it's TSMC

Indeed, they deserve a bg spanking from their price increases as of late.

TallSilhouette said:

Some weks ago, during one of GamersNexus hardware news video they mentioned a PSU that was PCIe 3.0 and had the cable to power the new Nvidia cards, without adaptors. I've looked for it but, sadly, it's only a 850W unit, the Silverstone HELA 850R.

However, in the video GN mentions that the PSU is Platinum certified by Cybernetics, and over there they also list the HELA 1200R which doesn't appear on Silverstones' site yet. It will be pricey, for sure, but if you're getting a 4090 you will be able to afford it .

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:

AMD Hit With Weak PC Demand As Desktop, Notebook Sales Tank By 40%

https://wccftech.com/amd-hit-with-weak-pc-demand-as-desktop-notebook-sales-tank-by-40/

This isn't exclusive to AMD as Nvidia and Intel are all largely down in sales.

Yep. With the economy fears and the energy prices we have right now, it's not the best time to renew your systems. Even more so if the new hardware is more expensive and also uses more power.

That may be one of the many reasons Zen4 isn't selling as well, and also why it will be interesting to see how many Ada cards does Nvidia sell at those prices.

I think one of the main differences is Nvidia is purposefully making the 4080s essentially unsellable in order to get Ampere stock cleared while Zen 4/Raptor Lake are serious launches. Once Ampere stock clears out, I think we will see the real prices of the 4080s which I think will be after AMD shows the prices of their RDNA 3 cards. Of course the worst part would be since both Nvidia and AMD are down in the stock market while TSMC is charging them a hefty price, they may both just try and enjoy the markups but hopefully not.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
JEMC said:

I think one of the main differences is Nvidia is purposefully making the 4080s essentially unsellable in order to get Ampere stock cleared while Zen 4/Raptor Lake are serious launches. Once Ampere stock clears out, I think we will see the real prices of the 4080s which I think will be after AMD shows the prices of their RDNA 3 cards. Of course the worst part would be since both Nvidia and AMD are down in the stock market while TSMC is charging them a hefty price, they may both just try and enjoy the markups but hopefully not.

I'll be honest. If the price of the current 4080 cards is to scare people into buying Ampere ones, I don't understand what the 4080 12GB is doing there. Nvidia could have launched the 4090, which has an ok price given the past history of those cards and the 4080 16GB to push people into buying Ampere, but what's the purpose of the 4080 12GB? To be mocked for?

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I'll be honest. If the price of the current 4080 cards is to scare people into buying Ampere ones, I don't understand what the 4080 12GB is doing there. Nvidia could have launched the 4090, which has an ok price given the past history of those cards and the 4080 16GB to push people into buying Ampere, but what's the purpose of the 4080 12GB? To be mocked for?

Yea it's hard to tell what the grand scheme of their strategy is and more importantly when Nvidia expects the excess Ampere stock to clear out. I am sure they want to sell those cards at some point so my theory is that:

a) If they only announced the 4090, people would still wait for the 4080s because the 4090 performance leap is massive for its price

b) The 4080s are set to release in mid-November so that gives ample time for Ampere stock to clear. The 3080/3090 both released within a week of each other for comparison.

c) 4080s are bait for AMD. In the past, Nvidia went first and AMD was able to position their cards accordingly while giving Nvidia very little room to maneuver. This time around though, because there is such a drastic difference between 4080s and 4090s, it gives Nvidia a lot of room to position their cards after AMD launches their RDNA 3 cards in November. So if AMD announces 7900XT at $1300, 7800XT at $1000, 7700XT at $800, Nvidia can slash 4080 16GB to $850 and introduce 4080 Ti at $1200 with more cuda cores than 4080 16GB. Remember that Nvidia knew about RDNA 3 release date before their conference even started yet choose to release the 4080s after the announcement date.

Captain_Yuri said:
JEMC said:

Yea it's hard to tell what the grand scheme of their strategy is and more importantly when Nvidia expects the excess Ampere stock to clear out. I am sure they want to sell those cards at some point so my theory is that:

a) If they only announced the 4090, people would still wait for the 4080s because the 4090 performance leap is massive for its price

b) The 4080s are set to release in mid-November so that gives ample time for Ampere stock to clear. The 3080/3090 both released within a week of each other for comparison.

c) 4080s are bait for AMD. In the past, Nvidia went first and AMD was able to position their cards accordingly while giving Nvidia very little room to maneuver. This time around though, because there is such a drastic difference between 4080s and 4090s, it gives Nvidia a lot of room to position their cards after AMD launches their RDNA 3 cards in November. So if AMD announces 7900XT at $1300, 7800XT at $1000, 7700XT at $800, Nvidia can slash 4080 16GB to $850 and introduce 4080 Ti at $1200 with more cuda cores than 4080 16GB. Remember that Nvidia knew about RDNA 3 release date before their conference even started yet choose to release the 4080s after the announcement date.

I'd love to believe it, I really do. For the sake of competition, PC gaming and common sense, but it's a very risky strategy that can go wrong. From AMD pricing their cards lower than Nvidia expects (not likely given their recent announcement regarding the revenue drop), to customers expecting that price drop and holding their purchases (which would hurt Nvidia and create another stock problem), to other that I'm too tired to think of.

And let's not forget about what would happen with those that had purchased one only to see them massively drop in price a couple months later.

It's a very risky strategy that can fail.

JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I'd love to believe it, I really do. For the sake of competition, PC gaming and common sense, but it's a very risky strategy that can go wrong. From AMD pricing their cards lower than Nvidia expects (not likely given their recent announcement regarding the revenue drop), to customers expecting that price drop and holding their purchases (which would hurt Nvidia and create another stock problem), to other that I'm too tired to think of.

And let's not forget about what would happen with those that had purchased one only to see them massively drop in price a couple months later.

It's a very risky strategy that can fail.

Well no one can buy the 4080s until November and there is currently no release date. Meanwhile AMD's RDNA 3 announcement is on November 3rd so no one would technically get screwed if Nvidia was to drop prices of the 4080s after AMD announces their prices of RDNA 3 as 4080s won't go on sale before an unspecified date in November. 4090 is the only GPU that will go on sale in October 12th and that will likely not see a price drop anytime soon.

But yea, I do agree it's very risky not to mention absolutely ruining the 80 class brand. 4080 12GB, 4080 16, 4080 Ti... What's next? 4080 10GB? 4080 6GB?

Wow, the System Shock remake still hasn't come out? I remember playing the demo years ago. Turns out the project was announced in 2015, and the demo came out in 2016. There's... also a new demo that came out in 2020? Probably because of how long development has taken, apparently with an engine switch and all? Just... wow.

Also, EA not requiring Origin for a game on Steam is strange, but also awesome. I think there's several games I'd like to get, if EA just got rid of the stupid Origin requirement. I'm literally ready to pay money, but I don't want to if there's Origin involved.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 3DMark scores leaked, at least 82% faster than RTX 3090

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-3dmark-scores-leaked-at-least-82-faster-than-rtx-3090