By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

People using 4k screens, how have you been scaling them? I've tried a number of different percentages but every program still seems to be best designed and scaled for native 1080p. Fucking frustrating.

Around the Network
TallSilhouette said:

People using 4k screens, how have you been scaling them? I've tried a number of different percentages (currently using 225%) but every program still seems to be best designed and scaled for native 1080p. Fucking frustrating.

225% is insane. I do 125% and most programs scale fine. There are still some scaling issues for some legacy programs and even windows property manager though.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

That was a typo; meant 125. Still a bit hinky, though.

Is the time almost upon us?!

gtotheunit91 said:

Is the time almost upon us?!

Architecture wise, Arc does have a number of features that's in Lovelace but isn't in Ampere but the problem is the drivers. The A770 really should have been a 3060 Ti competitor but because of it's drivers, it performs more like a bit faster 3060. If Intel can eventually fix all its issues, I do think it would be one of those golden goose budget GPUs like the 1060/480 as you could get 3060 Ti performance with 16GB of Vram but it's hard to recommend products based on hopes and dreams lol.

Still I suspect Intel will be focusing on cheap prices and market share for next gen too so we can revisit them if they stick around with their next gen GPUs.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

Nvidia DLSS 3 on RTX 4090 - Exclusive First Look - 4K 120FPS and Beyond

I think the main area that people were interested in is the input lag so this is what DF tested:

I assume Cyberpunk DLSS 2 perf. is running at around 60fps and with frame generation around 120fps. Added 23ms latency is quite a compromise for super smooth looking visuals.

It should be worse if you use DLSS 2 quality at around 40fps and with frame generation around 80fps. That could be 35ms added latency but the perceived visual smoothness will increase a lot.

That is the crux with frame interpolation, you need a high fps in the first place to minimize added latency.

numberwang said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Nvidia DLSS 3 on RTX 4090 - Exclusive First Look - 4K 120FPS and Beyond

I think the main area that people were interested in is the input lag so this is what DF tested:

I assume Cyberpunk DLSS 2 perf. is running at around 60fps and with frame generation around 120fps. Added 23ms latency is quite a compromise for super smooth looking visuals.

It should be worse if you use DLSS 2 quality at around 40fps and with frame generation around 80fps. That could be 35ms added latency but the perceived visual smoothness will increase a lot.

That is the crux with frame interpolation, you need a high fps in the first place to minimize added latency.

Well we know that Portal RTX is more demanding than Cyberpunk and likely has a lower FPS than Cyberpunk based on the much worse latency at native. But that is also when we see DLSS 3 at it's best with only being 3ms slower than DLSS 2 and 39ms faster than Native. On the other hand, Spiderman Remastered is much less demanding than Cyberpunk and it has a high framerate but this is also where DLSS 3 is at it's worst because it has a worse delay than Native.

So while it's true that you need high fps to minimize added latency, in the case of DLSS 3, high fps is when DLSS 3 is at its worst and is effectively an useless option because... You are already getting a high fps at Native or with DLSS 2 but the input latency of DLSS 3 is worse than both... The added smoothness will also have diminishing returns at high fps.

At low FPS is where DLSS 3 is at it's best because the input latency is less than what you would get if you use DLSS 3 vs Native while DLSS 3 is able to add in those extra frames. The frames will also look smoother with DLSS 3 at a low frame rate as opposed to high frame rate because there's literally less frames at low frame rate.

Captain_Yuri said:

Overall my thoughts on the products:

5800X3D: If you want the best bang for buck gaming performance and do not want to wait, it is certainly the one to get with a cheap X570 + DDR4 while trading blows with both Ryzen 7000 and Raptor Lake in certain games. The biggest issue is of course, you won't get any more CPU upgrades.

Raptor Lake: Both the i5 and i7s are pretty much the best all around CPUs. For gaming, they should perform similarly if not beat Ryzen 7600x and 7700x but for multi-threaded tasks, they will likely rolfstomp them with the 8 extra e-cores. Pair that up with Z690 motherboards that are on sale or DDR4 boards, you will most likely end up with cheaper yet more powerful setups compared to Ryzen 7000 equivalents. The 13900k as usual isn't as good of a value as it's lower tier CPUs but the pricing is still similar to 7900x so the 13900k should still be a multi-core champ only potentially losing to the 7950x. The biggest issue is of course, you won't get any more CPU upgrades.

Ryzen 7000: The only real reason to get it outside of the 7950x is the promise of platform longevity but I do think the price of entry is a bit too high. It is being flanked by both it's previous gen 5800X3D and Raptor Lake which will give you better bang for buck until you get to the 7950x range. And while you will save on not needing to upgrade to a new motherboard in the future, it does feel like AMD is really gouging you for that privileged. This isn't like Ryzen 1000 where you had cheap AM4 motherboards with the promise of 4+ years of updates paired with CPUs that had double the cores of the competition for the same price. The competition now has double the cores (all be it mix of P cores and slower E cores) for the same price along with cheaper motherboards and RAM instead. So imo, better to wait until the X3D versions where motherboards and RAM prices will get cheaper before taking the plunge. That way, you can get a meaningful upgrade in gaming performance in every game instead of going into scenarios where a 5800X3D is beating your shiny and expensive new build.

My biggest fear with Raptor Lake is the power draw. Intel said it's more efficient - but they claimed that also both for Rocket Lake and Alder Lake, so I'll take that with a truckload of salt. I wait for reviews to see if RL would be worth it for me or not.

The Thursday news:

SALES /PLAYER COUNT & DEALS

Cyberpunk 2077 has now sold more than 20 million copies
https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-has-now-sold-more-than-20-million-copies/
CD Projekt's cyberenaissance continue today with word from the studio that Cyberpunk 2077 has now sold more than 20 million copies.
"Over 20 million cyberpunks have been roaming the streets of Night City—partying with Jackie and getting to know Johnny, driving around with Panam and diving with Judy, hanging out with River and listening to Kerry’s songs," CD Projekt tweeted. "Thank you and we hope to see you all in the Afterlife!"

The Epic Store gives away two titles:

Next week, they'll give away Rising Hell and Slain: Back From Hell.

Steam has two deals:

Fanatical has a new bundle: the Crystal VR Collection BYOB, with 22 titles to choose for your 3, 4 or 5 games bundle: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/crystal-vr-collection-2-build-your-own-bundle.

SOFTWARE & DRIVERS

NVIDIA GeForce Game Ready 517.48 WHQL
https://videocardz.com/driver/nvidia-geforce-game-ready-517-48-whql
Highlights

• Game Ready for Overwatch 2

Fixed Issues

• [Advanced Optimus] Brightness setting is not getting applied correctly on certain Lenovo notebooks in dedicated GPU mode [3795453]
  • [Windows 10][Advanced Optimus]: On certain notebook configurations, “NVIDIA GPU only” option does not persist on system reboot [3794921]
  • [Adobe Illustrator] Using Reduce Noise with Ray Tracing appears pixelated [3709309]
  • [Windows 11] Chaos Vantage fails to start when NVLink is enabled [3652930]
  • [Adobe Photoshop] Resolves random crashes in DirectML.dll [3749935]
  • [Fusion 360] Addresses performance issues when using variable refresh rate monitors [3724711]
  • On rare occasions, video playback in browser may result in bugcheck code: 0x116 [3508109]
  • [Jurassic World Evolution 2] Game may display shadow flickering [3682201]
  • Native resolution is not available on the Samsung U28R55/ ASUS VG249Q1A monitors [3703073] [3768670]
  • [Windows 11] Some UWP apps may display lag when G-SYNC is set to “Enable G-SYNC for windowed and full screen mode” and “Vertical sync” is changed from the default value [3753141]
  • Resolves incorrect wording for NVIDIA Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Shader Cache Size in German language [3766571]
  • External displays connected to certain Razer notebooks via USB-C/Thunderbolt docks/dongles are not detected [3690673]
  • [Reallusion Hub] App will crash when launched on PC using a CPU with 32+ logical processors [3738397]
  • [DirectX 12] Microsoft Flight Simulator may display texture corruption after extended gameplay [3762763]

>> Check the article for the known issues.

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.9.2
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-22-9-2
Highlights

• AMD Ryzen™ 7000 Series Processors
  • Grounded™

>> Check out the notes for the known issues.

MODS, EMULATORS & FAN PROJECTS

Here are 9 minutes of gameplay from this faithful remake of Resident Evil
https://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/here-are-9-minutes-of-gameplay-from-this-faithful-remake-of-resident-evil/
Residence of Evil has shared a video, showcasing 9 minutes of gameplay footage from the upcoming fan remake of the first Resident Evil game, Resident Evil 1: 96 Edition.
The team responsible for this fan remake is the same one that it is currently working on the fan remakes of Resident Evil and Resident Evil Code Veronica.
Resident Evil 1: 96 Edition will feature PSX-like polygons and graphics. However, and contrary to the original title, it will no longer have tank controls. Instead, the remake will have full 3D environments and a third-person perspective.

GAMING NEWS

Ubisoft’s Skull and Bones has been delayed until March 2023
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/ubisofts-skull-and-bones-has-been-delayed-until-march-2023/
Ubisoft has just announced that Skull and Bones has been delayed, and will now release on March 9th, 2023. According to the press release, the PC version will be available via Epic Games Store and Ubisoft Connect.

Returnal will be coming to PC with NVIDIA DLSS and AMD FSR support
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/returnal-will-be-coming-to-pc-with-nvidia-dlss-and-amd-fsr-support/
The PC version of Returnal is perhaps the worst-kept secret right now. After all, we’ve already seen multiple hints about it. And yesterday, Iron-Era shared a video in which we get to see some of the game’s PC graphics settings.

Sackboy: A Big Adventure is officially coming to PC on October 27th
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/sackboy-a-big-adventure-is-officially-coming-to-pc-on-october-27th/
Sony’s PlayStation Latin America YouTube account has just revealed that Sackboy: A Big Adventure will be coming to PC on October 27th. In order to celebrate this announcement, the company released the game’s first PC trailer that you can find below.

New Dead Space Remake screenshots leaked online
https://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-news/new-dead-space-remake-screenshots-leaked-online/
The official Xbox Store page for Dead Space Remake has leaked three new screenshots from it. Dead Space Remake will be using the Frostbite Engine, and these screenshots can give you a glimpse at its graphics.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Thursday news, part two:

Call of Duty: Warzone 1.0 says farewell with free banner commemorating its worst meta ever
https://www.pcgamer.com/call-of-duty-warzone-10-says-farewell-with-free-banner-commemorating-its-worst-meta-ever/
The idea of a successful live-service battle royale 'ending' feels a little odd to me, but that's what's happening with Call of Duty: Warzone, which received its final major update today.

Terraria just added a new mode that literally turns the world upside down
https://www.pcgamer.com/terraria-just-added-a-new-mode-that-literally-turns-the-world-upside-down/
Terraria was, once upon a time, a game about digging down: you started as a surface-dwelling weakling and mined your way to the planet's molten core, hauling the resources back up to build cooler and more elaborate tools and structures. That's still in Terraria, though after a decade of updates it's so much more, with quests and elaborate boss fights and expansive building tools and unique "world seeds" that change how the world is randomly generated. Today's Labor of Love update makes a huge number of additions, but the coolest may well be the Don't Dig Up world seed, which flips the game topsy turvy.

Huge Terraria update adds new 'legendary' difficulty, hundreds of content and QoL changes
https://www.pcgamer.com/huge-terraria-update-adds-new-legendary-difficulty-hundreds-of-content-and-qol-changes/
Terraria's developers have stopped talking about any update being final: as it turns out, even after more than 11 years, they still have more ideas for the crafting survival game. The new Labor of Love update, the follow-up to the supposedly final Journey's End, arrived on Wednesday, with a dizzying number of changes in tow before you even dig into the dozens and dozens of bug fixes.
Here are the highlights (...)

Microsoft Flight Simulator pilots are flying through Hurricane Ian
https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-pilots-are-flying-through-hurricane-ian/
The technological marvel of Microsoft Flight Simulator isn't just the faithful recreation of the entire planet you can fly over, but also an accurate simulation of real-world weather you can fly through. (...)
While Hurricane Ian is a serious threat, Microsoft Flight Simulator allows players a safe way to observe the storm and experience what it might be like to fly through such an extreme weather event. And virtual pilots are taking off to do just that, as they did back in 2020 when Hurricane Laura made landfall in the southern United States.

World of Warcraft could be getting official controller support
https://www.pcgamer.com/world-of-warcraft-could-be-getting-official-controller-support/
A new build has arrived for the Dragonflight beta and it seems that World of Warcraft may get official controller support in the new expansion. Both Xbox and PlayStation controller assets which are "tied to controller bindings" have been datamined in the latest build, according to Icy Veins.

Everquest 2 goes spelunking in its 19th expansion in 18 years
https://www.pcgamer.com/everquest-2-goes-spelunking-in-its-19th-expansion-in-18-years/
EverQuest 2 was first released in November 2004, and that was a little unlucky. (...) The problem? It launched at almost exactly the same time as a competitor called World of Warcraft.
WoW swept all before it and, although Everquest 2 was one of the few able to survive such a high quality entrant in the fantasy MMO genre, inevitably overshadowed its contemporaries. Nevertheless, Everquest 2 attracted and retained a considerable playerbase, first under original developer Sony Online Entertainment, before later being sold to the Daybreak Game Company in 2015, which continues to maintain and expand the game. It has received an astonishing 18 expansions in this time, and this Christmas brings another.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.