By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

ROCm Is AMD’s No. 1 Priority, Exec Says

https://www.eetimes.com/rocm-is-amds-no-1-priority-exec-says/

This is why people shouldn't believe what idiots like Moores Law is Dead or anyone else says when they claim Nvidia is entirely focused on Ai while AMD is for the gamers. The reality is Nvidia, AMD and Intel are all heavily focused on Ai and datacenter. Nvidia is just at the forefront because they spent over a decade of R&D to lay the foundation of hardware and software to make Ai happen while AMD and Intel are playing catch up. But you can bet both AMD and Intel are allocating as much resources as possible to make their Ai and datacenter solutions happen.

Intel Confirms Meteor Lake CPUs Are Coming To Desktop PCs In 2024

https://wccftech.com/intel-confirms-meteor-lake-cpus-are-coming-to-desktop-pcs-in-2024/

That's interesting since MTL has a lower core count than Raptor Lake but maybe desktop version will have a higher core count when it gets released? We will see.

NVIDIA Emerges at The Top, Beats Competitors In The IC Design Industry

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-emerges-at-the-top-beats-competitors-in-the-ic-design-industry/

Beating qualcomm is certainly a big achievement

New “12V-2×6” GPU connector survives 640W power test when not fully inserted

https://videocardz.com/newz/new-12v-2x6-gpu-connector-survives-640w-power-test-when-not-fully-inserted

This is how the 12 pin should have released in the first place. Least the amount of ada cards that have been melting are largely limited to 4090s and within the 4090 class, it's less than 1%. But still, should have been fool proof.

GeForce RTX 4090 limited to 120Hz on Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 dual 4K 240Hz monitor

https://videocardz.com/newz/geforce-rtx-4090-limited-to-120hz-on-samsung-odyssey-neo-g9-dual-4k-240hz-monitor

While I agree that Ada should have come with DP2.1 regardless, I don't really feel bad in a case like this where not even the 6090 will be able to drive a monitor like that. Like if you have a 7900xtx, not only will your idle power consumption will go skyrocketing but you need to enable FSR in ultra performance mode which is terrible. Idk who this monitor is for lol. Maybe if you want to play 4k on one half and run discord on the other half.

Unity backtracks, revamped pricing model announced

https://videocardz.com/newz/unity-backtracks-revamped-pricing-model-announced

We all knew this was going to happen but the damage to the brand has been done. I think after the developers current products are finished, they will look very hard into alternative engines. What a clown show.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

GeForce RTX 4090 limited to 120Hz on Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 dual 4K 240Hz monitor

https://videocardz.com/newz/geforce-rtx-4090-limited-to-120hz-on-samsung-odyssey-neo-g9-dual-4k-240hz-monitor

While I agree that Ada should have come with DP2.1 regardless, I don't really feel bad in a case like this where not even the 6090 will be able to drive a monitor like that. Like if you have a 7900xtx, not only will your idle power consumption will go skyrocketing but you need to enable FSR in ultra performance mode which is terrible. Idk who this monitor is for lol. Maybe if you want to play 4k on one half and run discord on the other half.

Sorry but isn't the higher refresh of monitors useful for, for example, reducing ghosting even if the card powering it isn't fast enough to match the frequency with new fps-es? That was the whole point of those screens.

Also, who cares, 120 Hz vs 240Hz is something not many will notice unless they're actively trying to find a difference while using that UFO test. In a normal game session you'll be very hard pressed to notice it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

Sorry but isn't the higher refresh of monitors useful for, for example, reducing ghosting even if the card powering it isn't fast enough to match the frequency with new fps-es? That was the whole point of those screens.

Also, who cares, 120 Hz vs 240Hz is something not many will notice unless they're actively trying to find a difference while using that UFO test. In a normal game session you'll be very hard pressed to notice it.

Well that is more dependent on the panel than the refresh rate. A poor 240hz VA panel can have worse ghosting/smearing than an excellent 120hz OLED panel for example. Since this panel in particular is from Samsung and it's a VA panel, we have seen tons of issues in the past with the G9 series that also had 240hz VA panels. Maybe Samsung fixed those issues that were present in the older versions but after 2-3 generations of same problems across multiple different categories of monitors, I highly doubt it.

The only monitors that will be worth getting are the 4k 240hz OLED panels that are coming out next year from Samsung as they are excellent in virtually every area.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Scott Herkelman announces departure from AMD

https://videocardz.com/newz/scott-herkelman-announces-departure-from-amd

That's pretty big news when the SVP of Radeon leaves but also understandable. RDNA 3 was a largely a failure who's only redeeming quality is being cheaper. RDNA 4 is rumoured to have no high end. Radeons software stack has been lackluster to say the least and the entire strategy from Radeon this generation has been out of wack. He basically was Raja 2.0.

Hopefully the next person will bring Radeon back to the ATI days but boy, haven't we gone down this road before. It will be interesting to see if he joins Intel or not.

JEMC said:

Well that is more dependent on the panel than the refresh rate. A poor 240hz VA panel can have worse ghosting/smearing than an excellent 120hz OLED panel for example. Since this panel in particular is from Samsung and it's a VA panel, we have seen tons of issues in the past with the G9 series that also had 240hz VA panels. Maybe Samsung fixed those issues that were present in the older versions but after 2-3 generations of same problems across multiple different categories of monitors, I highly doubt it.

The only monitors that will be worth getting are the 4k 240hz OLED panels that are coming out next year from Samsung as they are excellent in virtually every area.

The execution may vary from panel to panel, but the principle behind it is the same.

Regarding Herkelman leaving AMD, it's the second big departure from AMD in a short amount of time after Robert Hallock. Are they leaving because things are changing within the company or because they want to do (probably) the same job somewhere else?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:

The execution may vary from panel to panel, but the principle behind it is the same.

Regarding Herkelman leaving AMD, it's the second big departure from AMD in a short amount of time after Robert Hallock. Are they leaving because things are changing within the company or because they want to do (probably) the same job somewhere else?

Either way, this starts getting concerning, as we don't hear much about new recruitments to replace those guys. AMD Radeon Group is loosing too much talent right now to stay competitive unless they got some ace(s) up their sleeves in the shape of home-grown talents.

That's pretty big news when the SVP of Radeon leaves but also understandable. RDNA 3 was a largely a failure who's only redeeming quality is being cheaper. RDNA 4 is rumoured to have no high end. Radeons software stack has been lackluster to say the least and the entire strategy from Radeon this generation has been out of wack. He basically was Raja 2.0.

Hopefully the next person will bring Radeon back to the ATI days but boy, haven't we gone down this road before. It will be interesting to see if he joins Intel or not.

Gonna be honest here, yeah it's going to come off doom & gloom, but after seeing how AMD's GPU space has performed these past few years and hearing how next gen is going to have no high end, it just looks like AMD is going to fall further and further into that endless void. 

Like think about it. They've lost numerous people over the years that were either fed up, bad for the company or couldn't flat out agree on where their GPU sector is headed, then you've got the glaring fact that AMD still have to play catch up with Nvidia, and now they've also got Intel fighting in the ring with them as well (and they actually do seem to be catching up).

This to me just feels like a repeat of what happened to Sega all those years ago,where they talked big, did alright for some years, but then ultimately couldn't keep up and just bowed out. This to me feels like a very drawn out attempt at them trying to bow out (especially upon hearing next gen will have no high end, like who tf does that at this point in time?).

Even if they do get a few more folks on board to try and right the ship, it won't be happening next gen, but the gen after, so around 2027, which is just too far off to start corrections. They should have righted their ship for next gen. Next gen is just going to be an even worse repeat of current gen, where Nvidia has another 90 series crushing everything AMD has, while having an 80 that just manages to stay above the rest, and AMD will have nothing to tackle either of those cards (and likely just ignore 4k and focus on 1080p/1440p).

Last edited by Chazore - on 25 September 2023

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Either way, this starts getting concerning, as we don't hear much about new recruitments to replace those guys. AMD Radeon Group is loosing too much talent right now to stay competitive unless they got some ace(s) up their sleeves in the shape of home-grown talents.

Thing is, even if they do have something hiding in the shadows, now is seriously not the time to do the whole shifty hands "I've got an ace up my sleeve", because they've already been facing negative image press even before Starfield, and SF just made it worse. No high end next gen just compounds this and it makes you wonder why the hell they aren't doing anything about it at this moment.

I know it's best not to let Intel or Nvidia know what you're doing, because either could quickly jump ahead of you if they find out what you are doing, but now is seriously not the time to be hiding secrets/plans, and actually do something about the situation they are in. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Chazore said:

Gonna be honest here, yeah it's going to come off doom & gloom, but after seeing how AMD's GPU space has performed these past few years and hearing how next gen is going to have no high end, it just looks like AMD is going to fall further and further into that endless void. 

Like think about it. They've lost numerous people over the years that were either fed up, bad for the company or couldn't flat out agree on where their GPU sector is headed, then you've got the glaring fact that AMD still have to play catch up with Nvidia, and now they've also got Intel fighting in the ring with them as well (and they actually do seem to be catching up).

This to me just feels like a repeat of what happened to Sega all those years ago,where they talked big, did alright for some years, but then ultimately couldn't keep up and just bowed out. This to me feels like a very drawn out attempt at them trying to bow out (especially upon hearing next gen will have no high end, like who tf does that at this point in time?).

Even if they do get a few more folks on board to try and right the ship, it won't be happening next gen, but the gen after, so around 2027, which is just too far off to start corrections. They should have righted their ship for next gen. Next gen is just going to be an even worse repeat of current gen, where Nvidia has another 90 series crushing everything AMD has, while having an 80 that just manages to stay above the rest, and AMD will have nothing to tackle either of those cards (and likely just ignore 4k and focus on 1080p/1440p).

Yea it's very hard to tell what to do with the brand at this point. Fighting against Nvidia is hard, especially when they have similar advantages that you do such as being able to use the same fabs where as Intel vs Ryzen, Intel is forced to rely on their own fabs. But even if we take the architecture out of the equation, the leadership in Radeon continues to be terrible and endlessly makes bad decisions. It really feels like they need to get out of social media and understand their audience.

Like this generation, yea 7900xtx is as fast as a 4080 and not 4090. Fair enough. But what's the excuse with pricing 7900XT at $900? It was brutally shat on by pretty much every reviewer out there. But alright, maybe some crypto nonsense but then you fast forward to today and it's like... why is the 7700XT priced at $450 vs 7800XT priced at $500? Every reviewer is just comparing the two and is like, buy the 7800XT. Like imagine the good press Radeon could have gotten if they priced it like:

7900XTX - $1000
7900XT - $700 instead of $900
7800XT - $500
7700XT - $400 instead of $450

They would have basically had 4 very competitive and well received GPUs. Instead 7900XTX was mixed, 7900XT was shat on, 7800XT was well received, 7700XT was like, buy 7800XT. Like yea, Nvidia prices their GPUs pretty shittily but they are the default choice and they have software advantages. Radeons big failing is thinking they could sway buyers but using Nvidias tactics but Nvidia's tactics only works if you have 80% of the market share for over a decade. They needed to be the "good guys" for at least 3-4 generations to build that customer base. Instead they are a laughing stock because the entire Radeon division cucked themselves every chance they got outside of the 7800XT.

Yea it's very hard to tell what to do with the brand at this point. Fighting against Nvidia is hard, especially when they have similar advantages that you do such as being able to use the same fabs where as Intel vs Ryzen, Intel is forced to rely on their own fabs. But even if we take the architecture out of the equation, the leadership in Radeon continues to be terrible and endlessly makes bad decisions. It really feels like they need to get out of social media and understand their audience.

Like this generation, yea 7900xtx is as fast as a 4080 and not 4090. Fair enough. But what's the excuse with pricing 7900XT at $900? It was brutally shat on by pretty much every reviewer out there. But alright, maybe some crypto nonsense but then you fast forward to today and it's like... why is the 7700XT priced at $450 vs 7800XT priced at $500? Every reviewer is just comparing the two and is like, buy the 7800XT. Like imagine the good press Radeon could have gotten if they priced it like:

7900XTX - $1000
7900XT - $700 instead of $900
7800XT - $500
7700XT - $400 instead of $450

They would have basically had 4 very competitive and well received GPUs. Instead 7900XTX was mixed, 7900XT was shat on, 7800XT was well received, 7700XT was like, buy 7800XT. Like yea, Nvidia prices their GPUs pretty shittily but they are the default choice and they have software advantages. Radeons big failing is thinking they could sway buyers but using Nvidias tactics but Nvidia's tactics only works if you have 80% of the market share for over a decade. They needed to be the "good guys" for at least 3-4 generations to build that customer base. Instead they are a laughing stock because the entire Radeon division cucked themselves every chance they got outside of the 7800XT.

I know it may sound insane, but if I was running Radeon, I'd just keep on the straight & narrow, price my cards at least 200 cheaper than each Nvidia model, as well as focusing on actually catching up on those missing features (also some new cooling solution, because the whole 3 fans facing down is getting pretty stale, whilst Nvidia for a few gens now has that interesting "one fan up, one fan down" (which got some ppl actually clamouring for the founders editions).

Much as I'm really not a fan of the bad-aid AI rigmarole, I feel like AMD really has no choice but to go that route, since Nvidia and Intel are doing so, them just relying on FSR being what it is just isn't cutting it (even Intel's own version is said to be better than FSR in some instances and that sounds dire to me on AMD's side, who has spent some time longer than Intel has). 

I could imagine next gen will be yet another easy win for Nvidia, but they could seriously crush the hell out of AMD if they decided to have a conscience and maybe lower their prices a bit, which would pretty much kill AMD's cheaper price point advantage (but I don't see that happening, since any market leader hardly bothers to do that).