By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Woop. New cooler just arrived (love Prime). Was thinking whether or not to reuse my AiO or old air cooler but I cba to clean and reuse lol.

Looking forward to installing it. Nows just the GPU that needs changin'.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-40-gpus-too-see-limited-supply-this-quarter-rtx-4080-price-cut-imminent/

If the 4080 gets a price reduction down to $1000. Thats RIP for the 7900XTX.

Around the Network
hinch said:

Woop. New cooler just arrived (love Prime). Was thinking whether or not to reuse my AiO or old air cooler but I cba to clean and reuse lol.

Looking forward to installing it. Nows just the GPU that needs changin'.

Congratulations!

hinch said:

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-40-gpus-too-see-limited-supply-this-quarter-rtx-4080-price-cut-imminent/

I hope it's the start of many price cuts. We need a price war to get rid of those crazy prices.

And one AMD partner seems to think the same: https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xt-graphics-card-is-now-available-for-859

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I hope they slash that price, and that the 4090 follows if and when they release the rumored 4090 Ti. I've seen a couple of decent deals on 4090 builds, but it adds up when you toss in faster storage and more RAM. I'm also curious to see what happens to the price of the current M.2 drives when the new PCIe 5.0 drives arrive.

For now, I'm thinking I'll get my rig this summer, or closer to fall, depending on what happens with prices, and what sort of displays will be available (finding a good 4K display is the hardest part of it all).

I don't think the price of current NVMe drives will change with the arrival of the 5.0 ones. Th performance jump isn't as big as the jump from 3.0 to 4.0, plus they need beefier cooling that makes them a lot more expensive.

And for me, the hardest part to choose is becoming the motherboard. I didn't know they had changed so much in the last years an dthat needing more than 4 SATA ports would be like a luxury, especially on AM5 motherboards. The lack of reviews doesn't help either, even more so if you're not going for the high end parts.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Mummelmann said:

I hope they slash that price, and that the 4090 follows if and when they release the rumored 4090 Ti. I've seen a couple of decent deals on 4090 builds, but it adds up when you toss in faster storage and more RAM. I'm also curious to see what happens to the price of the current M.2 drives when the new PCIe 5.0 drives arrive.

For now, I'm thinking I'll get my rig this summer, or closer to fall, depending on what happens with prices, and what sort of displays will be available (finding a good 4K display is the hardest part of it all).

I wouldn't expect too much of a discount on the 4090. Most likely Nvidia will raise the price of the 4090 Ti than replace the 4090. I do think 4080 and 4070Ti should get big discounts though, especially the 4080.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
JEMC said:

Congratulations!

hinch said:

I hope it's the start of many price cuts. We need a price war to get rid of those crazy prices.

And one AMD partner seems to think the same: https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xt-graphics-card-is-now-available-for-859

Cheers! Pretty excited about putting them in. Ngl, did kinda miss having those extra cores for multitasking so having that, plus that big vcache for gaming will (I hope) make games run a bit smoother and select games run much better.

And yeah, it does look that way. In the UK prices have been steadily dropping to close or under MSRP for the 7900XT and XTX and those are for the board partner models. Hopefully drops come sooner rather than later. The way they are selling atm can't be sustainable for them, retailers and their board partners.

Last edited by hinch - on 10 February 2023

JEMC said:

I don't think the price of current NVMe drives will change with the arrival of the 5.0 ones. Th performance jump isn't as big as the jump from 3.0 to 4.0, plus they need beefier cooling that makes them a lot more expensive.

And for me, the hardest part to choose is becoming the motherboard. I didn't know they had changed so much in the last years an dthat needing more than 4 SATA ports would be like a luxury, especially on AM5 motherboards. The lack of reviews doesn't help either, even more so if you're not going for the high end parts.

Bolded; this is an understated problem in today's tech media. It only serves to strengthen the notion that PC gaming is for "rich" people who are willing (and able) to pay 4-5 times more for their gaming platform than console gamers. There is a lack of reviews and reporting on middle or lower-tier hardware. I remember back in the 90's; anything from kitchen appliances, to cars, TVs, and housing, had a consumer first angle, it was informational and helpful for a wide potential audience. Heck, even Top Gear had its own consumer advice segments back in the day. Channels on youtube racking up millions of views on reviews of absurdly costly hardware, will see only a fraction of those viewers actually going out to buy the product(s) in question. It's almost more like watching Formula 1, or WRC, wanting to see the cutting-edge, but also knowing you'll spend a lifetime driving around in your Yaris. It's like the entire industry, and its proponents, just up and decided that the actual consumer no longer matters. Yes, some bigger tech influencers direct critcism towards the giants of the industry, but their focus remains the same.

For the newer generation, this disregard for tech and its relative cost, and the desire for an accelerated pace of markets and services, is ingrained behavior. One of the kids at work (I work with autistic, teenage boys) brought his "ancient" gaming PC from his mom's house, we took it apart, as he wants to learn about hardware. It had an MSI 1070 GPU, and decent RAM, topped with an i7 6700K CPU. His other desktop is one generation newer, yet he sees it as old.

I think the two above mentioned factors are a large part of why us "older" nerds aren't too happy with the industry today. On the one hand; we're seeing an industry hell-bent on overcharging and underdelivering, and on the other, we're seeing a new breed of gamers who simply accept this behavior as market reality as they chase this year's new phone models for 1200$ plus.

Mummelmann said:
JEMC said:

Bolded; this is an understated problem in today's tech media. It only serves to strengthen the notion that PC gaming is for "rich" people who are willing (and able) to pay 4-5 times more for their gaming platform than console gamers. There is a lack of reviews and reporting on middle or lower-tier hardware. I remember back in the 90's; anything from kitchen appliances, to cars, TVs, and housing, had a consumer first angle, it was informational and helpful for a wide potential audience. Heck, even Top Gear had its own consumer advice segments back in the day. Channels on youtube racking up millions of views on reviews of absurdly costly hardware, will see only a fraction of those viewers actually going out to buy the product(s) in question. It's almost more like watching Formula 1, or WRC, wanting to see the cutting-edge, but also knowing you'll spend a lifetime driving around in your Yaris. It's like the entire industry, and its proponents, just up and decided that the actual consumer no longer matters. Yes, some bigger tech influencers direct critcism towards the giants of the industry, but their focus remains the same.

For the newer generation, this disregard for tech and its relative cost, and the desire for an accelerated pace of markets and services, is ingrained behavior. One of the kids at work (I work with autistic, teenage boys) brought his "ancient" gaming PC from his mom's house, we took it apart, as he wants to learn about hardware. It had an MSI 1070 GPU, and decent RAM, topped with an i7 6700K CPU. His other desktop is one generation newer, yet he sees it as old.

I think the two above mentioned factors are a large part of why us "older" nerds aren't too happy with the industry today. On the one hand; we're seeing an industry hell-bent on overcharging and underdelivering, and on the other, we're seeing a new breed of gamers who simply accept this behavior as market reality as they chase this year's new phone models for 1200$ plus.

Well, the concept of new and old is hard to for some teenagers . Fashion has part of the blame for that, launching new collections every season and calling the prior ones old and outdated, and the smartphone business also played a key role in this mindset.

Companies that sell PC parts also want to highlight their best products and new features, which is why they send their top of the line products for reviews, more like how Intel, AMD and Nvidia launch their high end parts first, with mainstream and budget end parts coming at a later date.

Well, I'll keep looking at TechPowerUp for some mobo reviews, and Techspot for some roundups, that are also very helpful. If anyone knows other sites that reviews motherboards, please let me know.

Need a new GPU. My place-holder 6600XT is not holding up in hogwarts.
Thankfully Ram is not an issue... Game could use 64GB and I wouldn't blink an eye.

Hurry up prices.

JEMC said:

It's normal whenever we transition to a new PCI-E version, takes awhile for SSD's to really saturate the bus.. But the first lot of drives tend to run warmer.

Better drives will come later.

You can buy a PCI-E SATA card if you need more SATA ports... Not ideal, but with many PC Cases not even having a bay for an optical drive and the transition to SSD's, it's a legacy port now.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
JEMC said:

It's normal whenever we transition to a new PCI-E version, takes awhile for SSD's to really saturate the bus.. But the first lot of drives tend to run warmer.

Better drives will come later.

The first PCIe 4.0 NVMes already got close to reach 7000 MB/s, almost twice the values of 3.0 drives. With the new 5.0 SSDs the max we get is 10000MB/s and, while the raw increase is roughly the same, the percepcion is that the gains aren't that big.

They'll improve over time, no doubt about it, but for now they have too many drawbacks to attract most consumers. Therefore, prices of current drives won't change much.

Pemalite said:
JEMC said:

You can buy a PCI-E SATA card if you need more SATA ports... Not ideal, but with many PC Cases not even having a bay for an optical drive and the transition to SSD's, it's a legacy port now.

I thought about that, but for the 30€ or so that can cost, it's easier to just get another motherboard that already has the ports I need.

And yeah, the day I have to replace my case I'll have troubles. The plan would involve getting a NAS box before that happens, but the ones with 4 bays are so damn expensive!