By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Intel's problems can rely in part on their size. They're so big, and were so dominant, that it's easy to fall into the "I'm too big to fall" or "the market will go the way we decide" trap that sometimes plague big companies (and some people too).

The question is how they'll react and adapt to the situation and also how much of the damage they've taken can be fixed. But it will take years before we have answers for all that.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

Intel CEO On Losing Market Share To AMD: “We Lost Share, We Lost Momentum. We Think That Stabilizes This Year”

https://wccftech.com/intel-ceo-on-losing-market-share-to-amd-we-lost-share-we-lost-momentum-we-think-that-stabilizes-this-year/

Feels like we heard this one before. The biggest thing that's preventing me from buying Intel on Desktop is their longevity. The two CPU generations per socket continues to be very dumb and imo they need to go the route of AMD and provide 3-4 years of CPU generations. Of course, that isn't the only metric as we have seen Intel outselling Zen 4 but it is a key metric none the less as we see AM4 outselling Raptor Lake.

On laptop, imo Intel needs to do something with their efficiency. Apple has shown how insane the battery life can be with their Macbooks to the point where as a person that never even considered getting one bought one. AMD is certainly chasing after them while Intel continues to be the power hungry option. Sure it's very performant to go with Intel but I'd rather have 8-10 hour battery with 10-15% lower cpu performance than 5-6 hour battery.

Server has been an Epyc disaster for them and continues to be so. They simply can't scale as well as AMD can nor can they provide a full solution like AMD or have features like Cuda and their Ai libraries. Even Nvidia is coming out with full solution with their Grace CPUs. While Intel does have their server GPUs, it's so far behind both Nvidia and AMD that it's not even funny.

Their desktop department is relatively healthy. Their biggest issues are the aforementioned 2-generation platform support, but also the power draw. In a world where energy prices are skyrocketing, this can be a very big drawback to some clients - especially business clients who need to fill entire offices with computers. And those offices more and more switching to laptops isn't doing Intel any favors right now due to the exact same issue, which gives them atrocious battery life.

Also, these days desktops are by far the smallest section of the market, so just being strong there will not be doing much good to their market share.

All in all, power draw is their biggest issue. If Intel can solve that, then they can win shares back both in Laptop, but also in server segments, as here much is calculated in performance per watt, where Intel really doesn't shine. While they might not reach the scalability of AMD, they could still thrive just below the top after doing so.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Intel CEO On Losing Market Share To AMD: “We Lost Share, We Lost Momentum. We Think That Stabilizes This Year”

https://wccftech.com/intel-ceo-on-losing-market-share-to-amd-we-lost-share-we-lost-momentum-we-think-that-stabilizes-this-year/

*snip*

Their desktop department is relatively healthy. Their biggest issues are the aforementioned 2-generation platform support, but also the power draw. In a world where energy prices are skyrocketing, this can be a very big drawback to some clients - especially business clients who need to fill entire offices with computers. And those offices more and more switching to laptops isn't doing Intel any favors right now due to the exact same issue, which gives them atrocious battery life.

Also, these days desktops are by far the smallest section of the market, so just being strong there will not be doing much good to their market share.

All in all, power draw is their biggest issue. If Intel can solve that, then they can win shares back both in Laptop, but also in server segments, as here much is calculated in performance per watt, where Intel really doesn't shine. While they might not reach the scalability of AMD, they could still thrive just below the top after doing so.

The three main things I'm looking at on a CPU are performance, price and power used, so yeah, some of us take that very seriously.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Guys think its worth upgrading from a 5600X to a 5800X3D?

£304 at the moment on order from Amazon, and still have time to decide whether I need it or not lol. Plan on getting a new GPU this year.. Have a 1440P 240hz monitor. The games I mostly play are CS:Go, CoD and 40K: Darktide. May go back and play some WoW as well at some point.

Last edited by hinch - on 29 January 2023

hinch said:

£304 at the moment on order from Amazon, and still have time to decide whether I need it or not lol.

If you want your platform to be viable for some extra years, then yes, absolutely. Any other option would also need a platform and potentially memory upgrade without bringing much extra to the table for gaming, so I'd go for it even if you don't need it right now.

Around the Network

Yeah, I don't plan on any upgrades for a while after this. And will likey skip until AM6 (or Intel's equivalent) which is probably 4-5 years out. So may be a good move in the long run. Reselling and upgrading CPU takes the hurt out a little, I suppose. Though the 5600X value has tanked a lot since AMD slashed prices for AM4 :<

And true, staying AM4 saves time and a bit of cash in a full new build with similar performance in a lot of games.

Last edited by hinch - on 29 January 2023

Well, Boffer already said it, and very well. Given what you've said, hinch, getting the 5800X3D would be an excellent idea.

Aight think I will keep it!

Thanks for the replies guys. Was apprehensive but f it.. only live once lol.

Yea the 5800X3D certainly has my approval. It's a great swan song from AM4

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

hinch said:

£304 at the moment on order from Amazon, and still have time to decide whether I need it or not lol. Plan on getting a new GPU this year.. Have a 1440P 240hz monitor. The games I mostly play are CS:Go, CoD and 40K: Darktide. May go back and play some WoW as well at some point.

honestly, yes, I'd go for it at that price.

I'm also planning on nabbing the 5800X3D sometime myself, and that price seems pretty dang good compared to the other CPU's going around atm for £400-500+.

It'd def help you for WoW, but I'll warn you now, the expansion's main city hub, Valdrakken will, and I mean will, cripple your fps to the 40's. I've been scouring WoW's forums, hoping the devs will iron it out, but it's been a month and a half since launch and they haven't really sorted out the perf drops in that city, and it's by far the most important/most used hub in the new continent so far, but outside the city?, you'll get way better perf uplift for sure. 

Also I'm not sure if the deal is still going on, but if you buy WoW, you get an extra month of free game time, so if you buy the digital deluxe, you'll get that month of free game time, plus 30 extra days.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"