By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Yeah, we know someone that won't like this bit of news. Neither do I.

It's interesting the power consumption progression that videocardz has posted in its article:

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4060-reportedly-consumes-more-power-than-rtx-3070-220w

• GeForce RTX 4060: 220W+?
  • GeForce RTX 3060: 170W
  • GeForce RTX 2060: 160W
  • GeForce GTX 1060: 120W
  • GeForce GTX 960: 120W
  • GeForce GTX 760: 170W

It's quite a jump. It will have to perform great to justify those watts.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

That sure is a bad trend. Because of my current PSU, I'm glad I've already abandoned the idea of upgrading my current PC and decided to get a whole new PC once pricing and availability come to reasonable levels. And no, I'm not getting an RTX 3000 series GPU so close to the release of the RTX 4000 series, MSRP or not. Original MSRP almost two years after release is not reasonable, especially when the prices still seem high-ish where I live.

Yea the power requirements is getting to stupid levels. It's one thing to have high power requirements with Halo products like the 4090 but it's super dumb to continuously increase the power requirements of the budget class. The types of people buying a 4060 aren't buying it cause they have a shit ton of funds. They are buying it cause they need a budget GPU. When the power goes up to 3070 level, at that point, the GPU needs good cooling capabilities which means now you have a bigger GPU. Bigger GPU means now you need a good enough case that has good air flow. And of course, you also need make sure your power supply is capable of delivering the power without shutting down your entire computer during power spikes. Not to mention the additional heat and etc.

To a 4080/4090 buyer, it may not matter as much cause they are targeting the best performance that money can buy. But 4070 and below? This is getting stupid...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

It would also be interesting to know how much of that power goes to the memory. The 2060 shipped with 6GB of VRAM while the 3060 did it with 12GB, with the 3060Ti that came earlier having 8GB.

I wonder if the 4060 will come with 12GB of faster memory or if it will get some weird number like the 10GB of the 3080.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

I think Nvidia will be a lot more structured this time around with how they do their Vram. My predictions are:

4090: 24GB G6X
4080: 16GB G6X
4070: 12GB G6
4060: 8GB G6

The 4090 is supposed to have a 384bit bus, 4080 256 bit bus and 4070 is a 192 bit bus. So a 4090 can either have 12 or 24GB of Vram, 4080 can either have 8 or 16gb of vram and 4070 can either have 6 or 12gb of vram. (Technically they can have more but Nvidia isn't gonna give 4070 more than 12).

The thing with Ampere is Nvidia wanted to give the 3080 high bandwidth Vram but only 1GB GDDR6X memory modules were ready on time. They could have done what they did with the 3090 and had Vram on the backside of the GPU but then the cost would have gone way up. They could have given the 3070 16GB but I think they didn't want 3070 stepping on 3080s shoes. They did technically give the 3070 16GB but only on laptops which they named as "3080 mobile." Also due to AMD being competitive, they didn't want to give the 3060 only 6GB so they upped that to 12GB.

But now we do have 2GB GDDR6X memory modules, I think Nvidia will structure their GPUs far better this time around but that also means the 60 class probably won't be getting such a high Vram count.

That's the approach that would make more sense (except with the 4070 also using GDDR6X memory because the 3070Ti already used that kind of VRAM), but we'll have to wait and see how things turn out.

So over the weekend I decided to binge on some shipwreck stories, Titanic included, and it got me thinking;

Why don't we have a good amount of games based on maritime issues?. I know in the past few years we've had that Titanic VR demo, and the Medan game, but outside of that I haven't really seen much going on.

I imagine the Warships F2P game possibly featured the RMS Olympic class (the one that was repurposed during WWI), but I really have an itch for a game that deals with maritime issues, like Icebergs or collisions or anything similar to a ghost ship (I know there is Sea of Theives, but that's fantasy piracy themed).

Over the weekend I also learned of a maritime disaster that I feel was worse than the Titanic, that being the sinking of the SS Artic:

I know chances are high that we won't get many a game based on some of the worst disasters because it would come off as morbid and a disservice to the lives lost, but at the same time, we've had plenty of games based on real wars as well as chemical warfare. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Intel Meteor Lake & Arrow Lake Desktop CPUs To Utilize LGA 1851 Socket, Full Socket V1 Details Leak Out

https://wccftech.com/intel-meteor-lake-arrow-lake-desktop-cpus-to-utilize-lga-1851-socket-full-socket-v1-details-leak-out/

More socket changes... Intel never learns

Intel Arc A730M is faster than RTX 3070 Laptop GPU in 3DMark TimeSpy test

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-arc-a730m-is-faster-than-rtx-3070-laptop-gpu-in-3dmark-timespy-test

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 might have 100W higher TDP than RTX 3080

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-might-have-100w-higher-tdp-than-rtx-3080

Seasonic lists Radeon RX 7000 series in its Wattage Calculator

https://videocardz.com/newz/seasonic-lists-radeon-rx-7000-series-in-its-wattage-calculator

"Those targets are about the same as the current generation, further suggesting that someone has simply copy-paste’ed SKUs from the previous series.'

Personally, I highly double tripling the core count will result in having the same tdp numbers.

God of War runs at 1080p/30FPS on Radeon 660M integrated RDNA2 graphics thanks to AMD FSR 2.0 technology

https://videocardz.com/newz/god-of-war-runs-at-1080p-30fps-on-radeon-660m-integrated-rdna2-graphics-thanks-to-amd-fsr-2-0-technology

Quite impressive for an iGPU. While I wouldn't personally buy a laptop, the upcoming handhelds with this iGPU config should be insane.

Engineer Who Fled Charges of Stealing Chip Technology in US Now Thrives in China

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-06/engineer-who-fled-us-charges-of-stealing-chip-technology-now-thrives-in-china

Chazore said:

So over the weekend I decided to binge on some shipwreck stories, Titanic included, and it got me thinking;

Why don't we have a good amount of games based on maritime issues?. I know in the past few years we've had that Titanic VR demo, and the Medan game, but outside of that I haven't really seen much going on.

I imagine the Warships F2P game possibly featured the RMS Olympic class (the one that was repurposed during WWI), but I really have an itch for a game that deals with maritime issues, like Icebergs or collisions or anything similar to a ghost ship (I know there is Sea of Theives, but that's fantasy piracy themed).

Over the weekend I also learned of a maritime disaster that I feel was worse than the Titanic, that being the sinking of the SS Artic:

I know chances are high that we won't get many a game based on some of the worst disasters because it would come off as morbid and a disservice to the lives lost, but at the same time, we've had plenty of games based on real wars as well as chemical warfare. 

I feel like it comes down to companies not taking many risks. In the past, we had such variety of games where as now, a lot of them feel very samey. Games have largely become a product and not so much artistic vision with unique ideas.