By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

JEMC said:

Well, there were some rumors for a while stating that Zen4 was PCIe 4.0 only but, between that roadmap and the rumor of RDNA3 cards supporting PCIe 5.0, they can be put to rest.

I wouldn't bet on Phoenix being more efficient than Apple's chip, but we've seen that they are better all around performers and I doubt that will change soon.
Oh, and since AMD says that Dragon Range will have a higher core and thread count than any other "mobile gaming CPU", that means that there will be a 16 Zen4 mobile processor to beat Intel's 12900HK with 8+6 cores/24 threads.

Apple has the advantage of being vertically integrated, so they can dedicate silicon to hardware accelerate very specific tasks in otherwise general purpose processors... Thus Apple should always have a performance advantage.

JEMC said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I thought something was off myself, but I didn't want to double-check. I should have, as it seems...

It's quite confusing, specially when they launch so close in time.

In any case, I agree that the lack of laptops with AMD's 6000 series CPUs is very unfortunate, wheter that's from DDR5 or not.

Agreed. My Ryzen 2700u Notebook needs to be replaced.
My Ryzen 4700u Notebook still seems to be hanging in there.

Just waiting for DDR5 notebooks so the integrated graphics isn't being choked.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Linus checks out a CRT (Sony GDM-FW900) monitor and pits it up against LCD and even a QD-OLED. And.. its still a remarkable technology, even today.

Despite the size and weight of these things, its a shame this got dropped for inferior tech. Granted LCD's have come a long way, with brighter, faster panels with less blur.. There's there's something about how CRT handles scaling is just amazing as is the motion performance.

Wish I kinda kept my old CRT's now for retro games and consoles..

I personally wasn't old enough to appreciate the difference between CRT and LCD. We did have a CRT TV but the jump we made was from 24 inch CRT to 55 inch LCD so for me, I never really looked back. The tests are very interesting though, especially with retro games.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

When I got my first LCD screen, its resolution was somewhat higher than my PC could comfortably handle. I was really annoyed because I couldn't just lower the resolution without making everything a blurry mess. Also, it was a widescreen monitor and both the monitor and my graphics card drivers had trouble keeping the aspect ratio, so for a while, 4:3 games got stretched in a really ugly manner. I think I found a solution eventually, but switching to LCD wasn't exactly glorious for me back then. The lack of flickering was nice though (I just can't imagine using a 65 Hz CRT monitor again, whereas a 60 Hz LCD monitor is just fine for the eyes).

Captain_Yuri said:

I personally wasn't old enough to appreciate the difference between CRT and LCD. We did have a CRT TV but the jump we made was from 24 inch CRT to 55 inch LCD so for me, I never really looked back. The tests are very interesting though, especially with retro games.

Yeah its probably like looking back at older tech like Vinyl vs modern standards we're used to today. Kinda had to be there. Just remember looking back at how we went from everything CRT's, and eventually replaced by LCD's. It was a step forward in some ways and a major step back in others. I still remember looking back at my some of my friends earlier HDTV's and seeing horrible clouding and motion compared to old CRT's and even Plasmas.

Back then I didn't really care as it was the new flat monitor technology and the transitions to HDTV's made the tranition more palatable. Despite there were always comprises like motion handling, black level smearing and ofc crappy viewing angles. Though for HD consoles (PS3/Xbox 360) and cable boxes (remember those?) they were much more crisp due to supporting higher resolutions; at least on 'flat' tv's/montiors and took up way less space.

And if we talk a about monitors back then, you could only really get monitors with TN panels when LCD was in its infancy. With IPS monitors being only available at the high end (and costs into the thousands iirc) due to costly manufacturing. But yeah early TN's was dreadful compared to even a low end CRT lol. It took a while for LCD's to get good with cheaper IPS panels to hit the market.

Last edited by hinch - on 05 May 2022

Around the Network

The talk about panels reminds me of the horrible viewing angles of old LCD screens. Now you barely notice anything when looking at a screen from an angle, but back then... In a weird way, I think I actually miss those angles, because I always found it a bit funny how the colours became distorted when viewed from an angle. It wasn't ever really an issue to me, just an interesting phenomenon.

hinch said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yeah its probably like looking back at older tech like Vinyl vs modern standards we're used to today. Kinda had to be there. Just remember looking back at how we went from everything CRT's, and eventually replaced by LCD's. It was a step forward in some ways and a major step back in others. I still remember looking back at my some of my friends earlier HDTV's and seeing horrible clouding and motion compared to old CRT's and even Plasmas.

Back then I didn't really care as it was the new flat monitor technology and the transitions to HDTV's made the tranition more palatable. Despite there were always comprises like motion handling, black level smearing and ofc crappy viewing angles. Though for HD consoles (PS3/Xbox 360) and cable boxes (remember those?) they were much more crisp due to supporting higher resolutions; at least on 'flat' tv's/montiors and took up way less space.

And if we talk a about monitors back then, you could only really get monitors with TN panels when LCD was in its infancy. With IPS monitors being only available at the high end (and costs into the thousands iirc) due to costly manufacturing. But yeah early TN's was dreadful compared to even a low end CRT lol. It took a while for LCD's to get good with cheaper IPS panels to hit the market.

Yea I remember those days of TN panels which were hot garbage. TN only really felt acceptable at the high end and really until you saw how god tier IPS was. IPS felt like it was when LCD really started becoming fap worthy. Better colors, better viewing angles and etc. You could get some TN panels that were competitive to IPS in various areas, even exceeding in some but boy, the color shift from TN made it feel so horrible.

In a lot of ways, Mini-LED feels like the "TN" of the next generation of displays where OLED feels like "IPS". Mini-LEDs are great in certain situations like with Apple's M1 Pro where you get 10,000 zones in a 16 inch form factor. But majority of them where it's sub 500 zones or even sub 1000 zones are either shit or goodsh. Not to mention they have problems like a ton of ghosting or scan lines and such. But now that QD-OLED is here, Mini-LED may as well be useless other than it being more widely available.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I remember my first LCD monitor. Yeah, it was widescreen and light and the screen was stylishly flat, but man, the image quality was crap in comparison.

hinch said:

Linus checks out a CRT (Sony GDM-FW900) monitor and pits it up against LCD and even a QD-OLED. And.. its still a remarkable technology, even today.

Despite the size and weight of these things, its a shame this got dropped for inferior tech. Granted LCD's have come a long way, with brighter, faster panels with less blur.. There's there's something about how CRT handles scaling is just amazing as is the motion performance.

Wish I kinda kept my old CRT's now for retro games and consoles..

Still kept a CRT TV and screen each for those exact reasons. I love me some Duck hunt sometimes, try playing that on an LCD...

Yea no disputing that CRT picture and how they handled different resolutions so well. Beautiful.