By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Some more news cause they keep coming in

ZOTAC adds GeForce RTX 3090Ti, RTX 3080Ti and RTX 3070Ti to its FireStorm software

https://videocardz.com/newz/zotac-adds-geforce-rtx-3090ti-rtx-3080ti-and-rtx-3070ti-to-its-firestorm-software

Jebus a 3090 Ti would be nuts if it's true

Days Gone PC Tech Review: PS5 Comparisons, Settings Analysis + More

That's some good optimization! Finally! One thing to note is even though he is comparing the PC version to the PS5 "version," the PS5 Version is running on BC mode so that's why it's kinda weird.

Ethereum transition to Proof-of-Stake in coming months. Expected to use ~99.95% less energy

https://blog.ethereum.org/2021/05/18/country-power-no-more/

Of course, this was supposed to go live last year but it was delayed. Still, once it does, mining should go down significantly until the next mining cryto coin starts booming.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

AMD Radeon RX 6600 series to feature up to 8GB GDDR6 memory and PCIe Gen4 x8 interface

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-rx-6600-series-to-feature-up-to-8gb-gddr6-memory-and-pcie-gen4-x8-interface

"The card will rely on the x8 width of the interface."

Now the kicker about that is if you have a pci-e 3.0 motherboard, you will get pci-e 3.0 8x which has caused issues in the past with AMD cards. As an example, the 5500XT came with 8 lanes as well and you got lower performance with 3.0 vs 4.0.

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Radeon-RX-5500-XT-8G-Grafikkarte-275704/Specials/PCI-Express-3-vs-PCI-E-4-GPU-1339415/

While this is sad for upgraders (or AMD laptops since those still run on PCI-E 3.x), most new PCs by the time the card comes out should come with PCI-E 4.0, be it with Zen 2/3 or Rocket Lake

Also, while I adore PCGH for exploring the theoretical maximum performance of GPUs by pushing the CPU limit as far away as possible, I don't think the difference in an actual use case scenario will be bigger than a few fps. Still pretty bad, but not quite as horrible as the test at the time made it out to be. 

Captain_Yuri said:

"Igor was also able to gain access to a BIOS of Navi 23 Mobile Radeon SKU. Thus, we can see a much lower maximum clock speed than desktop variants (2350 MHz vs the rumored 2684 MHz)."

Now those are max clocks, we don't know what the actual clocks for the mobile versions will be yet but it will be interesting to see how these perform as AMD has been performing quite a bit better than Nvidia at lower resolutions in desktop.

Considering the amount of CU ain't that much lower than on the Navi 22 yet the power consumption is 100W lower, I have some doubts about those clock speeds being about the same between the two chips. 

Captain_Yuri said:

Intel 11th Generation Core Tiger Lake-H Performance Review: Fast and Power Hungry

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16680/tiger-lake-h-performance-review

It trades blows against the 5000 series in cpu related benchmarks and workloads. Sometimes Intel is faster, sometimes AMD is faster. While it's a big increase in performance compared to 10th gen laptops... There's one big problem... And that's power. Typically it will hang around 65 Watts which then will Thermal Throttle to 35 Watt compared to Ryzen 5000s 35-45 Watts. Here is peak power during Turbo:

No gaming tests yet which is what I am waiting to see. I will post it when the gaming reviews are out. Overall it's kinda annoying because with AMD, you get the god tier battery life but with Intel, you get additional features like Thunderbolt 4 and PCI-e gen 4 SSDs and more GPU lanes. No perfect CPU in the mobile space this generation. It does feel like a preview of Alder Lake S since Intel can't make Tiger Make power efficient with 10nm.

In Tom's hardware test, they couldn't change the power draw below 65W aside from throttling. Which makes me wonder about the veracity of the 45W in the table.

And of course, bringing a 65W chip in a 35-45W race and it's no wonder Tiger Lake-H won. The small GPU giving the CPU potentially some more cooling headroom than usual could possibly have helped too.

I also find the conclusion of Intel ludicrous for combining a 65W mobile CPU monster with a 3060 Max-Q to create a new class of light gaming laptops. So essentially what the 35W chips are meant for, just those can be paired with stronger GPUs and are not that far behind in CPU performance to make Intels way worthwhile...

Yea I am not sure what Intel was thinking shipping Tiger Lake i9 in a "thin and light" laptop. I have seen some reviews where the laptop was unable to keep the CPU from throttling and thanks to the 3060 being a 65 Watt TDP which no other laptop on the market has, they can't do any gaming comparisons.

Now either Tiger Lake is behind against AMD in gaming comparisons and that's why they purposefully shipped it or they are very stupid cause one would think if they shipped it on a more powerful laptop like the Asus Strix editions, those should have been able to cool the CPU even at 65 Watts. I think most likely, I might go with AMD unless Tiger Lake dominates in gaming because battery life is very important on a laptop.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

Yea I am not sure what Intel was thinking shipping Tiger Lake i9 in a "thin and light" laptop. I have seen some reviews where the laptop was unable to keep the CPU from throttling and thanks to the 3060 being a 65 Watt TDP which no other laptop on the market has, they can't do any gaming comparisons.

Now either Tiger Lake is behind against AMD in gaming comparisons and that's why they purposefully shipped it or they are very stupid cause one would think if they shipped it on a more powerful laptop like the Asus Strix editions, those should have been able to cool the CPU even at 65 Watts. I think most likely, I might go with AMD unless Tiger Lake dominates in gaming because battery life is very important on a laptop.

I think the reason is simply that Tiger Lake needs those Watts to use all it's muscle and get past Ryzen in CPU tests, which are what Intel needs most right now, and pairing it with an unreasonably small GPU like the 3060Max-Q is just to get ever last drop of power and every whiff of fresh air that the laptop has to offer without the GPU hogging too much for itself.

Also, NVidia GPUs scheduler does take up quite some CPU cycles, so there's another reason not to pair with a bigger chip and get more ressources for their CPU.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I think the reason is simply that Tiger Lake needs those Watts to use all it's muscle and get past Ryzen in CPU tests, which are what Intel needs most right now, and pairing it with an unreasonably small GPU like the 3060Max-Q is just to get ever last drop of power and every whiff of fresh air that the laptop has to offer without the GPU hogging too much for itself.

Also, NVidia GPUs scheduler does take up quite some CPU cycles, so there's another reason not to pair with a bigger chip and get more ressources for their CPU.

Yea but gaming laptops have that dynamic boost or whatever it's called that can manage the wattage so if Tiger Lake requires extra watts, then it should get them during CPU tests as the GPU is not using it. Especially as some of these laptops come with 240 to 300 watt power bricks even for 3060 class Ryzen laptops that don't need them.

That could be true but it won't matter much anyway because the gaming laptop reviews with those beefy laptop GPUs will be coming out soon enough anyway to show case the difference in gaming between Ryzen and Tiger Lake. It just feels kinda odd for Intel to go those route as they could have easily picked a laptop like Lenovos Legion 5 Pro that has the cooling capabilities and pairing it with a 3060 and a 300 Watt power adapter like they do with the Ryzen version. Then we would be able to see how it performs without thermal throttling and maybe even some gaming benchmarks with other 3060 gaming laptops.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

Days Gone PC Tech Review: PS5 Comparisons, Settings Analysis + More

That's some good optimization! Finally! One thing to note is even though he is comparing the PC version to the PS5 "version," the PS5 Version is running on BC mode so that's why it's kinda weird.

Ethereum transition to Proof-of-Stake in coming months. Expected to use ~99.95% less energy

https://blog.ethereum.org/2021/05/18/country-power-no-more/

Of course, this was supposed to go live last year but it was delayed. Still, once it does, mining should go down significantly until the next mining cryto coin starts booming.

Alex: "The PC version runs at unlocked fps, while the PS5 version plays to 60fps"

PS gamers literally on Alex's/DF's Twitter and youtube comments section:

"it's not teh PS5 version, it's BC"

Well yeah, but Alex isn't going to fuck constantly say "the BC PS4 Pro version on PS5", because that's too convoluted and long to mention each time he compares the two, and Sony isn't likely bothering with a fully reworked "from the ground up" version for PS5, as made evident by the BC port job instead. Jesus some people are petty about semantics, but it's mostly stemming from the fact that the comparison is somehow making PS5 look bad.

Y'know, this kind of makes me think of the many times where PC gaming misconceptions were being constantly made by console folk for years on end, but this one fucking port has a certain group up in arms, claiming it's a "misconception" of it's own, yet I'm still seeing shitty twitter drivel like "you need a 1-2k PC to match the PS5" shit in 2021... Like c'mon, at least be aware of the ironic hypocrisy.

That being said, I do hope they fix that animation slowdown issue. Alex even notified the devs, so hopefully that'll be sorted asap than what HZD was like with it's patching. I'll probably pick this up in a few months when it gets a discount (don't really agree with the current price for how old the game is). 

Last edited by Chazore - on 19 May 2021

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

https://hexus.net/tech/news/industry/147822-tsmc-partners-announce-1nm-process-breakthrough/

"An important paper on semiconductor technology penned by research scientists from Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), the National University of Taiwan (NTU), and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) has been published by Nature (spotted via Verdict). The tripartite have announced a breakthrough in the use of 'beyond-silicon' and 2D materials in electronics. The research provides a path to electronics manufacturing processes of 1nm and lower, helping break past the limits of current semiconductor tech and materials."

Is Crypto dead? Well who knows but dead for today. Down 25-30%.

https://www.reuters.com/business/bitcoin-slides-below-40000-ether-tumbles-2021-05-19/

Last edited by green_sky - on 19 May 2021

Yea I doubt it's gonna go back up for a while. I suspect the mining craze will die down as well as that becomes less and less profitable.

Imo, GPU prices are about to go back to normal in the coming weeks, I can feel it in my bones as this is the type of crash that killed the mining boom last time. Scalpers are gonna start discounting their GPU stock in the fear of miners flooding the GPU market. And when the miners flood the market... Ho ho ho! That is when the fappening begins!

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 19 May 2021