By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

JEMC said:
On a side note, I have a feeling that the departure of Casey Hudson from Bioware will have a bigger impact in the next coming years than it looks like.

It look like he's been involved in pretty much every game they've made in the last years. How can you replace a man like him?

Same way they replaced the Doctors when they left I guess.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

Activision have resurrected the Sierra name. But what for?

There is a website. It says Sierra in the url, plays a short Sierra splash video when you visit, and defaults thereafter to a version of the mountainous Sierra On-Line logo of old.

The thing is, Sierra Entertainment was subsumed by parent company Activion six years ago - and hadn’t really done anything of note for at least 10. So who’s this?

Read and Comment

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive mapper rebuilds Tomb Raider's Croft Manor

Comment

Solo CS modder llVeXXll has “lovingly recreated” Lara’s manor from the original Tomb Raider in the Source engine. The Global Offensive map is remarkably faithful to the 1996 stately home built by Core Design - but it does have a few more bombsites than you might remember.

Read and Comment

The 100 best Skyrim mods

Comments7

Skyrim mods. Gosh, there’s a lot of them, isn’t there? More than 22,000 on the Steam Workshop, and countless more on Skyrim Nexus. They’re the work of a thriving and diverse scene; an army of fans and bedroom coders determined to make the game a photorealistic fantasy utopia. Or just transforming farmyard animals into deadly explosives. But when you’re looking for Skyrim mods, just where do you start?  

Here, actually. That’s where we come in. These are the 100 mods we think are essential to improving Skyrim above and beyond the out-the-box experience.

Read and Comment

Civilization: Beyond Earth - don't call aliens "barbarians"

Comments1

Aliens are not barbarians, Firaxis is quick to point out in this hour-long playthrough of Civilization: Beyond Earth. While aliens are a separate AI faction, just like the barbarians in regular Civ games, there are a number of things that set them apart from their beardy, fur-wearing human cousins. 

The developer walkthrough is actually two games, one where the aliens are treated with extreme prejudice, like barbarians, and another where they are left alone to expand just like a normal faction. 

Read and Comment

Acting out: Eugen Systems teases Act of Aggression RTS

Comment

These days, Eugen Systems are most known for their deliciously complex wargame RTS hybrid series, the latest of which was Wargame: Red Dragon. But before that, they built slightly more traditional strategy games, like Act of War, with base building and resource management. 

Now the studio is going back, working on Act of Aggression, a successor to Act of War. Turtling away, building stalwart bases, obsessing over resource management and production - it’s all back. Eugen wants to “bring about a return to the 90’s Golden Era of real time strategy games,” and if anyone can do it, my money is on them. 

Check out the very aggressive teaser below. 

Read and Comment

Vigil Games is reborn in the form of Gunfire Games; Darksiders a possibility

Comment

Vigil Games was one of the many victims of THQ’s bankruptcy, left unable to make Darksiders 3, forced to watch as others bid on the series they had created. The core team ended up at Crytek, forming Crytek US, but that wouldn’t last either. Last month, Vigil founder David Adams resigned, and he’s taken Crytek USA devs with him. 

Adams told Polygon that money troubles at Crytek and a lack of communication spurred his desire to resign and form an independent studio. He had the idea and followed through all in one day. Gunfire Games was the result of this. 

Read and Comment

Weekend breaks: Kingdoms of Amalur is free on Origin for two days

Comments2

Kingdoms of Amalur was a big thing right up until it launched; then it just faded away, unlike 38 Studios' legal troubles. That’s a bit of a shame, really, because it was a solid action RPG with a number of genuinely great moments. 

If you never got round to taking it for a spin, then now is your chance. Alongside Battlefield 4, Origin is offering a free two day trial of Kingdoms of Amalur as well as a 50 percent discount. It’s definitely worth checking out for free, and a pretty good deal for less than a tenner. 

Read and Comment

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Farming Simulator 15 Gets Debut Trailer

Focus Home Interactive has released the first trailer for Farming Simulator 15. Farming Simulator 15 features a new graphics and physics engine, new visual effects, a new interface, new gameplay mechanics and, of course, a new and vast game environment. The game aims to combine all the right ingredients to offer the richest and most detailed farming experience ever on PC in October of this year, and early 2015 on home consoles. Enjoy! Continue reading

Gods Will Be Watching – Update Brings New Difficulty Setting & Option To Remove ‘Elements of Chance’

Deconstructeam and Devolver Digital have released the “Mercy Update” for the indie thriller Gods Will Be Watching on Steam, Humble and GOG, bringing sweet relief to those gamers that found the harder paths through the game a bit too hard. The update to the critically lauded title brings new challenge settings that adjust the game’s overall difficulty and a new option to remove the element of chance from decisions made throughout the game. Continue reading

NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM Revolution Hits Steam On September 16th, PC Requirements Revealed

Namco Bandai announced today that NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM Revolution will be available on Steam on September 16th. This new Naruto game comes with a special bundle and a pre-order offer, and you can view below its official PC specs that were recently unveiled. Continue reading

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Gets Behind the Scenes Featuring Troy Baker and Alastair Duncan

Warner Bros has released a new trailer for Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor in which we get a look behind the scenes of this highly anticipated action game as Troy Baker, who stars as Talion (The Last of Us, Batman: Arkham Origins) and Alastair Duncan, who stars as Celebrimbor (Mass Effect, Uncharted 3), discussing their experiences creating the game. Enjoy! Continue reading

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Comic-Con 2014 Panel Video Released

Our reader Amir has informed us about two new videos regarding CD Projekt RED’s Comic-Con 2014 panel, in which the Polish company revealed a new demo for The Witcher 3. The direct feed video from that event will be released next week but until then, enjoy these two new videos! Continue reading

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare – Minimum PC Requirements Revealed

Activision has just updated the official store page of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, listing its minimum PC requirements that are exactly the same with those of Call of Duty: Ghosts. This means that players will need – once again – 6GB of RAM alongside 40GB of free HDD. Continue reading

Dying Light – Gamescom 2014 Trailer

Warner Bros has released the Gamescom 2014 trailer for Techland’s upcoming zombie title, Dying Light. Dying Light is described as an action survival horror game presented in first-person perspective, that is set in a vast and dangerous open world and is currently planned for a February 2015 release. Continue reading

MIND: Path to Thalamus – Now Available On Steam

Carlos Coronado has released on Steam his new game, MIND: Path to Thalamus. MIND: Path to Thalamus is a First Person Puzzler that throws players into a fantastic and surreal environment, in which they will bend the natural elements to their will in order to progress in this emotive, mind-bending tale. Continue reading

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Interview: Early Access, Stealth And Mods In Invisible, Inc.

By Graham Smith on August 8th, 2014 at 9:00 pm.

Invisible, Inc. is coming to Steam Early Access on August 19th. It’s developer Klei’s return to stealth after 2012′s Mark of the Ninja, but this time it’s turn-based, tactical, and about steering a team of operatives through a Syndicate-inspired world of corporate espionage. It’s also their return to procedural generation and permadeath after 2013′s vastly successful Burtonesque survival game, Don’t Starve.

I spoke to company founder and programmer Jamie Cheng about why they came back to stealth game design, the challenges of procedureal generation, the right way to do Early Access, and mods.

Read the rest of this entry »

Twitch drops highlight time limits, adds appeal button for copyright-flagged VODs

Andy Chalk at 07:11 on 09 August 2014

Twitch unveiled some significant changes to its handling of stored videos earlier this week. The "save forever" option for past broadcasts was eliminated, and while highlight videos could be saved indefinitely, they were limited to a maximum of two hours in length. Existing videos, meanwhile, would be scanned for copyrighted audio and muted if any was found, an automated process that's apparently led to a number of false positives. The response to the new policies was predictably sour, and following a Reddit AMA by CEO Emmett Shear yesterday, Twitch has backtracked on them a bit.

Killing Floor 2's gore system is a bloody ballet

Evan Lahti at 01:00 on 09 August 2014

Wes gave Killing Floor 2’s gore tech a thorough dissection earlier this year when we revealed Tripwire’s cooperative, wave-based horror FPS with his huge feature story. In short, Killing Floor 2’s “MEAT” system (Massive Evisceration and Trauma) is ridiculous—enemies have 19 points of dismemberment (five alone for the head), and it makes Killing Floor 2 feel more like flesh bowling than a standard shooter.

Pathologic remake trailer is weird, fun, and lacking in game footage

Tom Sykes at 23:45 on 08 August 2014

I wouldn't normally pay these sorts of teasing marketing campaigns any heed, but when it's related to a SOMA or a new BioWare game or a remake of one of the most fascinating adventure/horror games out there, I suddenly pay meerkat-like attention. As we know, Ice-Pick Lodge's Pathologic is set to receive a remake—and now a countdown site has appeared online. In 27 days, eight hours, 38 minutes and 10...9...8 seconds something will happen, most likely the unleashing of a new bubonic plague or *cough* a link to the remake's Kickstarter page.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

zarx said:
JEMC said:
On a side note, I have a feeling that the departure of Casey Hudson from Bioware will have a bigger impact in the next coming years than it looks like.

It look like he's been involved in pretty much every game they've made in the last years. How can you replace a man like him?

Same way they replaced the Doctors when they left I guess.

Yeah, well, we still don't know how that afected the team, right?

And too many changes (big changes) in so little time do have an impact.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Does anybody here wants to play Portal 2 co-op? There is a bug were PS3 - PS3 gamers can't connect, but you can connect with PC - PS3 gamers.

Add me on Steam (I play on PS3): SS-Erwin.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Michael Fassbender's Assassin's Creed film will "respect the game"

Comments1

Recent rumours had it that Michael Fassbender had walked away from Assassin’s Creed’s Hollywood adaptation. But the series has a history of reluctant heroes, and Fassbender now seems wholly committed to the cause.

“You know, we absolutely want to respect the game,” said The Last Fassbender. “There’s so much cool stuff in the game that we’re actually spoiled for choice in terms of what we can use and what we can’t.”

Read and Comment

Steam beta update makes reference to film and TV

Comments1

The ever-vigilant SteamDB have unearthed a gem in their usual post-update trawl of Steam’s beta files. A few new lines in Valve's verse are concerned with app types for music, plugins, film and TV.

Read and Comment

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Premier League clubs now using Football Manager database to determine new signings

Comments4

It’s finally started: life is mimicking games. Sports Interactive have become so good at simulating the player-buying behaviour of UK football clubs that those same clubs have begun looking to them for help finding new signings.

Premier League teams will now incorporate Football Manager’s biographical, contractual and positional player database into their recruitment process.

Read and Comment

Mastertronic will live on: UK publisher wins backing for all-digital future

Comment

In a time before Steam, Mastertronic were the kings of the budget boxed PC game - but eventually, that dependency on retail threatened to yank them backwards over a cliff. The UK publisher had to lay off staff, and only today has learned its fate: creditors have unanimously voted to let Mastertronic attempt to rock the coach forwards into a better future.

Read and Comment

Enemy Unforgiven: Hard West is XCOM as a Western

Comment

A group of Call of Juarez veterans have realised they’ve been approaching cowboys from completely the wrong perspective. They’ve been looking through the practiced squint of John Wayne in first-person, when they should’ve been watching ol’ wide-shoulders from above: commanding him to flip tables and expend all his action points opening saloon doors far too vigorously.

That’s Hard West: a sun-baked meeting of XCOM and Heroes of Might and Magic, inspired by Stephen King and David Lynch.

Read and Comment

Dead Island 2 – First Gameplay “Sunshine & Slaughter” Trailer + First Screenshots

Deep Silver revealed today the first gameplay trailer for Dead Island 2, the next installment in the multi-million-selling Dead Island franchise. Furthermore, the publisher has released the first in-game screenshots from it. The video shows Pre-Alpha in-game footage and gives a first impression on how the game looks like. Dead Island 2 is coming Spring 2015 from development studio YAGER for PC, PS4 and Xbox One. Enjoy! Continue reading

World of Speed – Gamescom 2014 Team Racing Trailer

My.com and Slightly Mad Studios have released a Gamescom 2014 trailer for their upcoming free racer, World of Speed. In this trailer you’ll see that teammates and friends will need to cooperate to complete in-race objectives that will determine the winning team in the race. Enjoy! Continue reading

Square Enix Announces “Life is Strange” – New Episodic Adventure From The Creators Of “Remember Me”

Square Enix today announced that the brand new, episodic, digitally delivered, narrative driven adventure game entitled Life is Strange is coming to PC, PS4, Xbox One, PS3 and X360. Continue reading

OpenGL 4.5 Specifications Released, Next Generation OpenGL Plans Announced

Khronos, an open consortium of leading hardware and software companies, publicly released the OpenGL 4.5 specification today, bringing the very latest functionality to the industry’s most advanced 3D graphics API while maintaining full backwards compatibility, enabling applications to incrementally use new features. The full specification and reference materials are available for immediate download from the OpenGL Registry. Continue reading

Grand Ages: Medieval Announced – New RTS – Debut Trailer

Kalypso Media announced that Grand Ages: Medieval is currently in development by Gaming Mind Studios and will be released in 2015 for PC. Being shown behind closed doors at gamescom 2014, Grand Ages: Medieval takes place in the High Middle Ages while Europe is in a period of huge change and rapid population growth. Continue reading

Project CARS – Limited Edition Announced

Namco Bandai has just unveiled the Limited Edition for its upcoming racer, Project CARS. This Limited Edition will offer players a special steel case featuring an exclusive visual, a behind-the-scenes book “Project CARS: By Racers 4 Racers”, as well as 5 legendary cars drivable in any game mode and with special one-make series career invitations to showcase them in. Continue reading

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Ubisoft announces Toy Soldiers: War Chest, teddy bears to shoot death rainbows

Tyler Wilde at 04:11 on 12 August 2014

The first two games in the Toy Soldiers series—which developer Signal Studios recently re-released as a bundle on Steam Early Access—are well-liked action/tower defense hybrids, but remain best-known for their XBLA success. Being published by Microsoft Game Studios will have that effect. For its next game, Signal has found a new home—Ubisoft will publish Toy Soldiers: War Chest, and it'll be a little different.

@TheVoxelman on twitter