By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Pemalite said:

Yeah... Just going to wait my next upgrade cycle out.

I'll have to wait until April earliest anyway, so by then the stock issues will probably have eased up a bit again. Besides, I'm interested what the mid-range chips will look like (Ryzen 5 and Navi 22/23) since I'm a bit cash-strapped.

_______

Speaking of the future, a Ryzen 7 5800U has been benchmarked in Cinebench R20 and R23.

In R20 singlethreaded, the chip reaches the same result as the Intel i9 10900K despite having a max turbo of only 4.4 Ghz, and was about 6% above the 4800U. In multithreaded, it reached 3650 points, which is about the same level as the old 8-core threadripper 1900X and somewhat above the likes of a Ryzen 5 3600 and Ryzen 7 2700 and 13% above it's predecessor.

The R23 results however a more mixed. Singlethreaded, the chip beat it's predecessor by 5%, but in multithreaded, the 4800U was quite a bit faster. It's probable that the cores were not all used in the latter test due to some bug.

All in all, while the results in R20 are pretty good, it's a bit of a downer compared to what the desktop variant managed to achieve.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 09 January 2021

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Pemalite said:

Yeah... Just going to wait my next upgrade cycle out.

I'll have to wait until April earliest anyway, so by then the stock issues will probably have eased up a bit again. Besides, I'm interested what the mid-range chips will look like (Ryzen 5 and Navi 22/23)

_______

Speaking of the future, a Ryzen 7 5800U has been benchmarked in Cinebench R20 and R23.

In R20 singlethreaded, the chip reaches the same result as the Intel i9 10900K despite having a max turbo of only 4.4 Ghz, and was about 6% above the 4800U. In multithreaded, it reached 3650 points, which is about the same level as the old 8-core threadripper 1900X and somewhat above the likes of a Ryzen 5 3600 and Ryzen 7 2700 and 13% above it's predecessor.

The R23 results however a more mixed. Singlethreaded, the chip beat it's predecessor by 5%, but in multithreaded, the 4800U was quite a bit faster. It's probable that the cores were not all used in the latter test due to some bug.

All in all, while the results in R20 are pretty good, it's a bit of a downer compared to what the desktop variant managed to achieve.

Yeah saw those details.

At this point I am not actually worried about CPU performance or battery life in a notebook... It's integrated graphics that really needs to step it up a notch... Which is where AMD needs to start investing in RDNA2 which brings with it a plethora of efficiency gains which will benefit the low bandwidth of such devices.

I mean, I have a Ryzen 4500u and 2700u notebook and the 4500u is more than double the CPU speed, but only 50% better at graphics.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I'll have to wait until April earliest anyway, so by then the stock issues will probably have eased up a bit again. Besides, I'm interested what the mid-range chips will look like (Ryzen 5 and Navi 22/23)

_______

Yeah saw those details.

At this point I am not actually worried about CPU performance or battery life in a notebook... It's integrated graphics that really needs to step it up a notch... Which is where AMD needs to start investing in RDNA2 which brings with it a plethora of efficiency gains which will benefit the low bandwidth of such devices.

I mean, I have a Ryzen 4500u and 2700u notebook and the 4500u is more than double the CPU speed, but only 50% better at graphics.

The question will be if infinity cache will be implemented into APUs. After all, the size of the cache should cause a pretty big increase in size for such small chips, and a smaller one would probably not bring very much benefit anymore. And without the infinity cache or some bolted-on fast memory chips as LLC, they are really limited by the RAM bandwidth.

Zen 4 next year should solve (well, alleviate) this problem, as it comes with DDR5, and probably also will bring some RDNA variant, which as far as I know needs a bit less bandwidth than GCN even without infinity cache already.

I expect the Infinity cache in the Zen 4 APUs to be half or a third of the size of the one in Big Navi (32 or 24 Megabyte). Less would probably not bring much benefit anymore, while more would make then too expensive for the performance gains.

My prediction for the Zen 4 APUs: 12 slightly altered RDNA2 CU with 2.1Ghz clock speed (not more CU because it will probably only support lower speed DDR5 early on, like DDR5-4800 for instance) in the 6800H and 1.8 Ghz in the 6800U; should be enough to beat Baffin (RX 560), Zen 5 (or whatever will follow after Zen 4) should increase the CU count to 14 or 16.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 09 January 2021

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Pemalite said:

Yeah saw those details.

The question will be if infinity cache will be implemented into APUs. After all, the size of the cache should cause a pretty big increase in size for such small chips, and a smaller one would probably not bring very much benefit anymore. And without the infinity cache or some bolted-on fast memory chips as LLC, they are really limited by the RAM bandwidth.

Zen 4 next year should solve (well, alleviate) this problem, as it comes with DDR5, and probably also will bring some RDNA variant, which as far as I know needs a bit less bandwidth than GCN even without infinity cache already.

I expect the Infinity cache in the Zen 4 APUs to be half or a third of the size of the one in Big Navi (32 or 24 Megabyte). Less would probably not bring much benefit anymore, while more would make then too expensive for the performance gains.

My prediction for the Zen 4 APUs: 12 slightly altered RDNA2 CU with 2.1Ghz clock speed (not more CU because it will probably only support lower speed DDR5 early on, like DDR5-4800 for instance) in the 6800H and 1.8 Ghz in the 6800U; should be enough to beat Baffin (RX 560), Zen 5 (or whatever will follow after Zen 4) should increase the CU count to 14 or 16.

Infinity Cache would likely be prohibitively expensive unless AMD can justify it by unifying that cache for CPU operations in order to justify the transistor expenditure... Which isn't likely to happen in a cost sensitive product like an APU.
Then Again, Intel did just that with it's CPU's and Integrated Graphics with Iris Pro.

DDR5 isn't likely to cure our limited Ram bandwidth... Keep in mind that Dual-Channel DDR5 4800mhz is still only offering 64GB/s of bandwidth... Which not all can be dedicated to graphics, it's shared with the CPU cores and other logic as well.

In short, it will be a step up over a Radeon RX 530 or Geforce 1030 thanks to architectural efficiency gains. (I.E. Working Draw Stream Rasterization and Primitive Shaders plus improvements to Delta Colour Compression.)

It will be great for 1080P and lower gaming, but higher probably won't be viable until DDR6.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I already got my upgrade this week, got a intel i7 6700k for free.

Now got a i7 6700k (had i5 4670k before), 32GB ddr4, 500gb ssd (850evo) and geforce 1070. This should be enough for WOW: shadowlands which I didnt buy because of my old cpu, was getting around 47fps in borulas on 7/10 graphics settings if I remember correctly.

Manage to upgrade my PC a lot faster than many people in this thread :)

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Around the Network
Trumpstyle said:

Now got a i7 6700k (had i5 4670k before), 32GB ddr4, 500gb ssd (850evo) and geforce 1070. This should be enough for WOW: shadowlands which I didnt buy because of my old cpu, was getting around 47fps in borulas on 7/10 graphics settings if I remember correctly.

It's easy to upgrade when your upgrade is a downgrade for most people here.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

It would also be an upgrade for me .

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

*** NEW CONTEST ***

HEXUS EPIC Giveaway Day 27: Win an MSI RTX 3070 from Cyberpower https://hexus.net/tech/features/graphics/147122-day-27-win-msi-rtx-3070-cyberpower/

Sorry guys, this contest is UK ONLY.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

It would also be an upgrade for me .

You don't count. You're just the ceremonial figurehead of this operation.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Trumpstyle said:

I'm currently sporting the i7-6700k myself, which is more than enough for Shadowlands, even at 1440p, and I imagine the 1070 will as well. Just don't go crazy with the clutter density and object distance, because new and even old zones (like Azuna from Legion) tend to have a lot of clutter that can result in frame dips. Just stick with what Blizz says is ideal for your setup, and you can mess with the slider settings one at a time to get what you desire. For as old as WoW is, I've found their recommended settings to be pretty spot on for the hw I use, compared to most games out there (even modern dare I say). 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"