By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Captain_Yuri said:
haxxiy said:

I mean, one of main cause of the efficiency issue with Ampere is going with Samsung's 8N which we know is most likely going to change with Hopper. Nvidia made a meh move going with Samsung which is something that we all know and it's not like anyone is denying the power hungry aspect of Ampere.

But a lot of it has to do with whether or not that power consumption gives you the performance which was one of the main issues with Vega. Vega cards had high  power consumption figures while giving you similar or less performance than cards with less power consumption and in the case of Vega VII, missing features like RT cores and Tensor Cores. VII 313 Watts vs 2080 226 Watts for example. If RDNA 2 can make Ampere look like that, then people will get on that hype train. Efficiency obviously matters but so does actual performance.

Yes but steam's hardware survey also shows 2080/2080 Ti are less than 1% respectively... The types of people that will be spending $700+ on a GPU are not gonna be the xx60 crowd...

Samsung's 8 nm has a 10 nm BEOL versus a 20 nm BEOL on the 12 nm TSMC process... huge difference right there. Going by feature size, that's at least a node and a half of improvements.

Perhaps AMD is using a better node right now, perhaps they aren't... but we can't compare that, since we have literally nothing to base ourselves on. I'm just pointing out there was almost no improvement even with a new architecture on top of the newer node. That was the point of the Radeon VII comparison. Vega was bad compared to Turing, yes. But at least it demonstrates a response to a more advanced node, with the same architecture to boot, as immature as 7 nm was back then.

As for the number of people gaming with 2080s and above, that's a fair point. But do remember that those cards were horribly overpriced and underperformed accordingly on the market. Perhaps Nvidia will have more success with Ampere, I don't know.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

Well DF showed that Ryzen is bottlenecking 3080 depending on the game and resolution but Zen 3 could change that. So... Wait for Zen 3 or get Intel 10th gen.

But one thing that you may want to think about is RTX IO. Depending on how the SSD thing turns out, it could be a nothing burger or might actually have an affect on performance, specially with PCI-E 4.0 vs 3.0 SSD speeds. Since Nvidia even mentioned the benefits at their press conference, it's certainly going to be used, just the question of what speed the SSD will need to be. So I'd wait for Zen 3 at least to see how the cpu turns out.

I very much doubt I will ever feel the need to improve my build by swapping out a 4GB/s SSD with a 7GB/s SSD. I refuse to believe there is any kind of meaningful difference, even with RTX IO.

Looks like AMD is gonna reveal Zen 3 on October 8th. If they release it a week or two later then I can wait that long. I will not wait for December or later.

Last edited by vivster - on 16 September 2020

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Captain_Yuri said:

Dave 2d did a good review:

600 Watts ain't gonna happen. Also the noise the founders edition fan makes at high rpm is kinda yikes and according to him, that should only happen if your case has no air flow as it's very silent cooler that keeps the temps in line.

Computerbase is saying that the card definitely gets really loud when you overclock it and I doubt they tested that in a case without airflow.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

haxxiy said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I mean, one of main cause of the efficiency issue with Ampere is going with Samsung's 8N which we know is most likely going to change with Hopper. Nvidia made a meh move going with Samsung which is something that we all know and it's not like anyone is denying the power hungry aspect of Ampere.

But a lot of it has to do with whether or not that power consumption gives you the performance which was one of the main issues with Vega. Vega cards had high  power consumption figures while giving you similar or less performance than cards with less power consumption and in the case of Vega VII, missing features like RT cores and Tensor Cores. VII 313 Watts vs 2080 226 Watts for example. If RDNA 2 can make Ampere look like that, then people will get on that hype train. Efficiency obviously matters but so does actual performance.

Yes but steam's hardware survey also shows 2080/2080 Ti are less than 1% respectively... The types of people that will be spending $700+ on a GPU are not gonna be the xx60 crowd...

Samsung's 8 nm has a 10 nm BEOL versus a 20 nm BEOL on the 12 nm TSMC process... huge difference right there. Going by feature size, that's at least a node and a half of improvements.

Perhaps AMD is using a better node right now, perhaps they aren't... but we can't compare that, since we have literally nothing to base ourselves on. I'm just pointing out there was almost no improvement even with a new architecture on top of the newer node. That was the point of the Radeon VII comparison. Vega was bad compared to Turing, yes. But at least it demonstrates a response to a more advanced node, with the same architecture to boot, as immature as 7 nm was back then.

As for the number of people gaming with 2080s and above, that's a fair point. But do remember that those cards were horribly overpriced and underperformed accordingly on the market. Perhaps Nvidia will have more success with Ampere, I don't know.

Yea that's a good point. It will be interesting to see where GPUs go as the node shrinks become harder and harder.

Yea they did and rightfully so but you can go look at other GPUs that are $700+ and they are also very low %. Not to mention, the 1080p results get skewed because of the laptop crowd as majority of the laptops ranging from $400-$3000 have 1080p screens. It's rare that most people would get a 4k screen with their laptops and 1440p is hella rare. It's reasons like this why I don't bother paying attention to Steam's hardware survey as the results are always skewed heavily. Personally I have 3 computers, 1 is my desktop that has 3440 x 1440p and two laptops, both are 1080p and I have steam on all 3.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

vivster said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Well DF showed that Ryzen is bottlenecking 3080 depending on the game and resolution but Zen 3 could change that. So... Wait for Zen 3 or get Intel 10th gen.

But one thing that you may want to think about is RTX IO. Depending on how the SSD thing turns out, it could be a nothing burger or might actually have an affect on performance, specially with PCI-E 4.0 vs 3.0 SSD speeds. Since Nvidia even mentioned the benefits at their press conference, it's certainly going to be used, just the question of what speed the SSD will need to be. So I'd wait for Zen 3 at least to see how the cpu turns out.

I very much doubt I will ever feel the need to improve my build by swapping out a 4GB/s SSD with a 7GB/s SSD. I refuse to believe there is any kind of meaningful difference, even with RTX IO.

Looks like AMD is gonna reveal Zen 3 on October 8th. If they release it a week or two later then I can wait that long. I will not wait for December or later.

Most likely not but all I am saying is, if Zen 3 within a few % points and gives you PCI-E 4.0, maybe just keep the RTX IO in mind before making a purchase. If it's like 10% or more, then yea, getting the Intel is like no question.

Also your ability to get a 3080 at launch will show your ability to get zen 3 cause both are gonna be out of stock within minutes guaranteed. When 2000 series launched, that shit was out of stock for months and it was one of the worst series of cards in terms of Value.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Here is something fun for everyone who hates Epic.

RL launched the big new Update. Now requires Steam users to link their account to Epic. Cannot link account to Epic because they are giving me errors. Cannot play Rocket League. Not even singleplayer.

I am pretty sure they explicitly said that you would not require an Epic account if you didn't want to link multiple accounts. So that was a fucking lie.

edit: Correction, you can actually get into the game if you click on "create". It will then take you to the normal main menu, but no servers are up.

Last edited by vivster - on 16 September 2020

vivster said:

Here is something fun for everyone who hates Epic.

RL launched the big new Update. Now requires Steam users to link their account to Epic. Cannot link account to Epic because they are giving me errors. Cannot play Rocket League. Not even singleplayer.

I am pretty sure they explicitly said that you would not require an Epic account if you didn't want to link multiple accounts. So that was a fucking lie.

edit: Correction, you can actually get into the game if you click on "create". It will then take you to the normal main menu, but no servers are up.

I'm seriously considering getting a refund now. I would not have bought the game in the first place had I known it requires an account (let alone an Epic account). Well, sounds like it doesn't really require one, but I'm not interested in an extra click every time I open the game, especially when it sounds like said click opens a website in my browser. The practical harm of needing an Epic account is absolutely zero for me since I've had an Epic account for years (originally for fooling around with Unreal Engine), but don't want to support at all how Epic is doing what it's doing.

(Also, having to click 'Create' to not have to use an Epic account is scummier than what Microsoft does with the Windows 10 installation and Microsoft account.)

Last edited by Zkuq - on 16 September 2020

For those that, despite the current problems, will try Rocket League next week when it goes free to play AND didn't read the article about it on today's news, here' something for you:

https://www.pcgamer.com/rocket-league-goes-free-to-play-on-the-epic-games-store-next-week/

But the big cookie is the free-to-play launch that's coming next week. Rocket League is available for wishlisting on the Epic Games Store, and anyone who picks it up in the first month of Epic release will also get a $10 discount coupon for use on games and DLC in the Epic Games Store. (So even if you don't care about Rocket League, just add it to your library and get ten bucks off the next EGS thing that you do care about.) 

Not sure if it will work with those coming from Steam, and the discount only works when used in games that cost more than $15.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

FFXVI is coming to PC

Source: PS5 Press conference

(Probably most of the other games as well)