By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Captain_Yuri said:
So PC Gamer releases these articles...

Ray tracing has failed to deliver on its promise

https://www.pcgamer.com/ray-tracing-has-failed-to-deliver-on-its-promise/

Actually, ray tracing is just getting started

https://www.pcgamer.com/actually-ray-tracing-is-just-getting-started/

By the same Authors as well. JFC.

Cyran said:

First High End Gpu I ever bought

https://www.anandtech.com/show/305/10

One quote from article "The only areas the Dynamite TNT2 Ultra is lacking in are with it's high price, $229.99 is considerably higher than what you're probably used to paying for."

To put that into perspective... $229.99 from 1999 accounting for inflation is.... $356.15 in 2020.

I still miss the Radeon 6950's... Unlock those into 6970's with a dab of overclocking and you had a GPU that was competing with a high-end GTX 580... But at only ~$279... Or $321.37 in todays dollarydoo's. - Which means it was most price-competitive than even the TNT 2 Ultra.

And get 2 or more of them... Woof.

Zkuq said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Well if we are gonna spend $2100 on 3090. Only having Ray Traced reflections is gonna be yawn worthy with 2nd generation of RTX and Tensor Cores. Minecraft RTX already has path tracing so 3000 series + DLSS could have it be implemented at some level with better looking games. Or at least give us ray tracing through global illumination as well as reflections.

I don't see any reason why we couldn't have ray tracing improvements, but my impression is that path tracing is insanely intensive computationally compared to ray tracing. Maybe I'm wrong or someone has come up with some insane optimizations to solve the problem, but I wouldn't hold my breath for any visually impressive games to use path tracing any time soon.

That said, there seems to be a lot of confusion about what path tracing is, so it's entirely possible we're not even talking about the same thing when we're talking about path tracing... As far as I know, path tracing is the method for (very roughly speaking) simulating the way lighting really, really works, by casting a ridiculous amount of rays compared to ray tracing, which casts only a very limited amount of rays (again very roughly speaking). But of course some authors on the internet seem to reverse the meanings, so there's that...

Path Tracing *is* Ray Tracing. It's an algorithm/approach to a problem.

Path Tracing is typically what many 8th gen Ray Traced games have employed on the base Xbox One/PlayStation 4 when they did deploy a Global Illumination approach.
Some 7th generation games used pre-calculated path traced baked lighting for games as well, especially games that used deferred rendering in the later half of the console cycle.

Captain_Yuri said:

While we wait, we can shit post

I could do with a firefighter simulator...

Conina said:
Captain_Yuri said:

My hard drive situation is that I am a bit of a data hoarder.

For my PC, it's 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD as the main OS drive. Then I have a 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD from my last computer. 4TB Western Digital Black Hard drive and 10TB Seagate hard drive.

Don't worry, there are bigger data hoarders than you.

What is this "uninstalling" everyone is talking about?

Interested to know if you have that all mirrored off-line somewhere in cold storage... Would hate to see ransom-ware encrypt your PC destroying all that data.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Just how many drives did you JBOD or RAID together to get to 22TB?

Also, how can it use up 22GB more space than it has???

It's a WD MyBook Duo 28TB (which includes 2 x WD Red 14 TB in Raid 0).

Total capacity is 28 TeraByte (28 x 1000 x 1000 x 1000 x 1000 Bytes), shown in Windows as 25.4 TebiByte (25.4 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024) or 26000 GebiByte (26000 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024).

The 21552 GB ain't the total capacity but the filesizes added up, the 21574 GB is the space needed due to the file structure. So the 22 GB difference are from blocks only partly filled.

Additionally to that used storage, there is also 5 TeraByte / 4.6 TebiByte free space for additional games:

Pretty fast for a HDD solution (300 - 400 MB/s sequential, depending on the position of the data)... good enough for most of my games. And if I want some of the currently played games on one of my SSDs, it is only a matter of a few minutes to copy them... much faster than redownloading them and patching them through again.

Pemalite said:

Interested to know if you have that all mirrored off-line somewhere in cold storage... Would hate to see ransom-ware encrypt your PC destroying all that data.

I only backup non-gaming data + save games included in the documents folder. Also most of my DRM-free games.

And the danger of ransom-ware encryption is pretty slim since I rarely download and install stuff from unknown sources.

So in the worst case scenario, I could redownload all these DRM-licenced games from their platforms again.

To think that I have all my games on a mechanical 1TB drive...

Conina, your setup is insane.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Seasonic Shows off 12-Pin Micro-Fit 3.0 Power Connector Adapter For Next-Gen NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Founders Edition Graphics Cards

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

An accurate depiction of how hot that thing's going to run lol. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Looks like you're really enjoying the game, Yuri.

And looks like Nvidia's rumored special power connector is actually real. I wonder how much those ar going to cost. It also makes me wonder how bad the power consumption of the new cards will be. With the special cooler and power cable, it looks like Nvidia's new cards could be real powe hogs and run hot.

Wouldn't it be ridiculous if, after so many years, AMD ended with a more efficient architecture even if it doesn't reach the peformance as Nvidia's new cards? Will power consumption and efficiency remain important if Nvidia is on the losing side or will the statement change again to the only thing that matters is the performance?

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

And looks like Nvidia's rumored special power connector is actually real. I wonder how much those ar going to cost. It also makes me wonder how bad the power consumption of the new cards will be. With the special cooler and power cable, it looks like Nvidia's new cards could be real powe hogs and run hot.

Wouldn't it be ridiculous if, after so many years, AMD ended with a more efficient architecture even if it doesn't reach the peformance as Nvidia's new cards? Will power consumption and efficiency remain important if Nvidia is on the losing side or will the statement change again to the only thing that matters is the performance?

i never heard someone say that they care about consumption

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
JEMC said:

i never heard someone say that they care about consumption

We visit different forums.

Back during the HD 7970 vs GTX 680, and specially once Nvidia launched Maxwell and drastically reduced the power consumption of their cards, it was a theme I read a lot of times in forums. After all, with lower power consumption comes lower heat, netter thermals that keep the card at higher clocks, more chances of getting a higher overclock, and things like that.