By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

^Thanks for charing.

I'll have to check how many of the ShadowRun games I've got for free from either GOG or the Humble Store. I may already have the games from that collection.

*Edit*

After checking it, it turns out that I only have ShadowRun Returns, on both stores.

Last edited by JEMC - on 20 August 2020

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
vivster said:
haxxiy said:

I'm legit buying a new case because I don't think mine will be able to cope with the heat output from the new GPUs.

I know that'll probably be an unpopular opinion but PC components should be subject to the same power saving laws that lamps, air conditioners etc. have faced in the last few decades. People were consuming more power than whole countries to mine bitcoins a while back for God's sake. The idea that a single chip would need 250 - 400 watts to function no longer fits today's zeitgeist.

Not sure what or how you would want to achieve regulating efficiency in computer components. Let's ignore for a moment that those components are already as efficient as possible out of sheer necessity, what would the end goal look like?

Do you want to restrict performance for regular consumers? What about professionals that need the performance? Would they need a license or would they just have to live with stunted hardware? Would you ban overclocking? What counts as overclocking? Set a maximum voltage?

Regulations are usually meant for widespread devices that are used a lot, which does not fit high end PC hardware. If you think about it there isn't a point in restricting power draw for enthusiast electronics because they're just that. Think about what other things people use for their hobbies that would have to be regulated.

The vast majority of high end PC components are on servers, cryptocurrency farms, and supercomputers these days. And none of these components are as remotely as efficient as mobile hardware. Intel, IBM, and AMD have all released hardware pushing power consumption to the absolute limit to have a small edge many times before, and they'll admit as much. You see it everytime there's a die shrink. Do they keep to the same clocks and reap the benefits of extra density alone? Nope. They'll push it even when it means the chips are reaching levels of power per area comparable to nuclear reactors or the surface of the sun.

Another of the consequences was that designers etc. all had to come up with more clever and more sophisticated cooling solutions in the space that will host said hardware, which in turn consume even more power. That is just not sustainable or desirable. And if the people consuming megawatts to mine bitcoins happen to use the same hardware the average bloke will buy to play Rocket League... that's just an unfortunate side casualty. You can't regulate one but not the other when the basic components are the same.

Since power consumption increases quadratically related to the voltage and that increases nearly linearly around the frequencies chips work, it's not unfeasible that a 10% decrease in clocks could decrease power consumption by close to 20% already. So no one is going to be "stunted" with reasonable regulations.

Last edited by haxxiy - on 20 August 2020

Guess this is where I get off the Hitman train.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

haxxiy said:
vivster said:

Not sure what or how you would want to achieve regulating efficiency in computer components. Let's ignore for a moment that those components are already as efficient as possible out of sheer necessity, what would the end goal look like?

Do you want to restrict performance for regular consumers? What about professionals that need the performance? Would they need a license or would they just have to live with stunted hardware? Would you ban overclocking? What counts as overclocking? Set a maximum voltage?

Regulations are usually meant for widespread devices that are used a lot, which does not fit high end PC hardware. If you think about it there isn't a point in restricting power draw for enthusiast electronics because they're just that. Think about what other things people use for their hobbies that would have to be regulated.

The vast majority of high end PC components are on servers, cryptocurrency farms, and supercomputers these days. And none of these components are as remotely as efficient as mobile hardware. Intel, IBM, and AMD have all released hardware pushing power consumption to the absolute limit to have a small edge many times before, and they'll admit as much. You see it everytime there's a die shrink. Do they keep to the same clocks and reap the benefits of extra density alone? Nope. They'll push it even when it means the chips are reaching levels of power per area comparable to nuclear reactors or the surface of the sun.

Another of the consequences was that designers etc. all had to come up with more clever and more sophisticated cooling solutions in the space that will host said hardware, which in turn consume even more power. That is just not sustainable or desirable. And if the people consuming megawatts to mine bitcoins happen to use the same hardware the average bloke will buy to play Rocket League... that's just an unfortunate side casualty. You can't regulate one but not the other when the basic components are the same.

Since power consumption increases quadratically related to the voltage and that increases nearly linearly around the frequencies chips work, it's not unfeasible that a 10% decrease in clocks could decrease power consumption by close to 20% already. So no one is going to be "stunted" with reasonable regulations.

Supercomputers are a really bad example because in their case you cannot even spare half a percent of performance, efficiency is the least priority there. As for servers it's really a tough sell to lower a few clocks. The vast majority of servers run at half capacity or less, aka very efficient. Power usage from fans and hard drives is way way more problematic, not to mention the always hopelessly oversized datacenter cooling. Mining is a special case but it's not really special in the greater scheme of things. Literally every industry is using up vast amounts of energy to generate money. Money that will eventually be invested into renewable energy.

It's a nice sentiment to try to lower energy consumption but CPUs and GPUs aren't really worth going at, especially considering how much of a focus they already put on efficiency. That's like going after the repairman's slightly less efficient car he uses to do maintenance on solar panels.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

NVIDIA CEO: Second Half of 2020 Will Be Gaming’s Most Amazing Season Ever

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-ceo-second-half-of-2020-will-be-gamings-most-amazing-season-ever/

Fluff piece but...

"It’s not been this amazing since we introduced programmable shaders about 15 years ago. And so, for the last 15 years, we have been making programmable shaders better and better and better, and it has been getting better. But there’s never been a giant leap like this. And RTX brought both artificial intelligence as well as ray tracing to PC gaming. And then the third factor is the console launch. "

Least he isn't ignoring the console launch. I just hope that "But there’s never been a giant leap like this" isn't being referenced to Ampere's price.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
JEMC said:

Also, here's a bonus article and a question for you all:

When a game asks you to 'Press Any Key,' which key do you press?
https://www.pcgamer.com/when-a-game-asks-you-to-press-any-key-which-key-do-you-press/
Many of us have been playing Microsoft Flight Simulator this week, looking for interesting places to visit, tweaking settings to improve our performance, and digging through menus to figure out how to turn on autopilot.
But we all start with the same first step: Microsoft Flight Simulator, in an ancient gaming tradition, begins by asking us to 'Press Any Key.'
So, when confronted with this choice, which key do you press? The space bar? Escape? Tab? Right Curly Bracket? Or are you a mouse-clicker?
>> If I have the mousse in hand, I click. If I have a controller, I press whatever key, usually the A(xbox controller). In any other situation, the space bar.

On my old computer, this here: https://www.getdigital.eu/Any-Key.html

My old Logitech G15 had it's G6 macro key replaced with that key. Sadly can't find any pictures of it.

So yeah, I literally hit the any key to continue...

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 20 August 2020

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-ceo-second-half-of-2020-will-be-gamings-most-amazing-season-ever/

Fluff piece but...

"It’s not been this amazing since we introduced programmable shaders about 15 years ago. And so, for the last 15 years, we have been making programmable shaders better and better and better, and it has been getting better. But there’s never been a giant leap like this. And RTX brought both artificial intelligence as well as ray tracing to PC gaming. And then the third factor is the console launch. "

Least he isn't ignoring the console launch. I just hope that "But there’s never been a giant leap like this" isn't being referenced to Ampere's price.

If they spend billions on research to give us new GPUs, you can spend a measly $2100 on a GPU. Have a little compassion.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Fluff piece but...

If they spend billions on research to give us new GPUs, you can spend a measly $2100 on a GPU. Have a little compassion.

Credit: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/idnk3f/my_friend_made_a_pc_value_list_how_accurate_is_it/