By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Cyran said:

Captain_Yuri said:

Now that is something I can get behind

I will say that if we can get a 3090 with 24GB of Vram for that price, I'd buy it in a heart beat. Maybe not the founders but rather from someone like Asus

If the price around 1399 I probably buy the cheapest EVGA model that using the reference PCB.  I don't care about the included cooling solution since I be removing it for a water block and it just much easier to find a waterblock for versions that use the reference PCB.  I like EVGA because they always been reliable to me and the way they mount there coolers in the past have always been straight forward and uncomplicated to remove for adding a waterblock.

The decision is will I wait for a waterblock to be available or just go buy it.  There probably enough airflow in my case that running it with the air cooler till I can get a water block will be fine.  I can just disconnect the power to gpu loop pumps till then.

Yea I personally own Evga GTX 1080 FTW and it's been great. The only reason I might go with Asus is due to the RGB software since EVGA needs their own software, I can't get it to sync up with my Motherboard and RAM since my Motherboard is Asus and my Ram supports Aura Sync.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

I'm legit buying a new case because I don't think mine will be able to cope with the heat output from the new GPUs.

I know that'll probably be an unpopular opinion but PC components should be subject to the same power saving laws that lamps, air conditioners etc. have faced in the last few decades. People were consuming more power than whole countries to mine bitcoins a while back for God's sake. The idea that a single chip would need 250 - 400 watts to function no longer fits today's zeitgeist.

80 plus PSUs ring a bell?

The EU actually tried to do something like that by taxing extension cards by memory bandwidth. Anything above 256 bit would be taxed extra. That was mid-2000s, so before HBM or any similar technology. The growth in TDP numbers stopped however, and thus the law never came to be.

Captain_Yuri said:

A bit of an interesting article when it comes to Series X and ray tracing since it's related to RDNA 2.0

https://www.pcgamer.com/xbox-architect-on-ray-tracing-developers-still-want-to-use-traditional-rendering-techniques-without-a-performance-penalty/

It seems that Microsoft is less than enthused about the prospect of ray tracing in the Xbox Series X, despite it being deemed the 'ultimate in realism.' In a Hot Chips deep dive on the AMD-powered GPU at the heart of the next-gen console, Mark Grossman, principal architect at Microsoft, has detailed the graphics silicon inside the Series X and just what role ray tracing has in it.

The short answer seems to be: not much. 

The dual compute units (DCU) of the Big Navi-like GPU inside the Xbox Series X do have specific hardware dedicated to accelerating the real-time ray tracing process. But that seems to be the only change to the RDNA 2.0 dual compute unit compared with the first-gen ones found in the AMD RX 5700-series cards.

"The overall ray tracing speed up varies a lot, but for this task it can be up to 10x the performance of a pure shader-based implementation."

"We do support DirectX Raytracing acceleration, for the ultimate in realism™, but in this generation developers still want to use traditional rendering techniques, developed over decades, without a performance penalty," says Grossman sadly. "They can apply ray tracing selectively, where materials and environments demand, so we wanted a good balance of die resources dedicated to the two techniques."

---------------------------------------------------

Of course, those are pretty vague statements but it will be interesting to see how RDNA 2 performs

That shouldn't be a surprise to anybody. Look at UE5 and the focus it put on the new Lumen technology for illumination.

Ray tracing will be used, and it will gain ground as the gen goes, specially on PC when newer and more capable cards appear, but the actual fake solutions have come a long way and offer a really good simulation of light while being a lot less taxing than RT on the hardware.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Captain_Yuri said:
Cyran said:

If the price around 1399 I probably buy the cheapest EVGA model that using the reference PCB.  I don't care about the included cooling solution since I be removing it for a water block and it just much easier to find a waterblock for versions that use the reference PCB.  I like EVGA because they always been reliable to me and the way they mount there coolers in the past have always been straight forward and uncomplicated to remove for adding a waterblock.

The decision is will I wait for a waterblock to be available or just go buy it.  There probably enough airflow in my case that running it with the air cooler till I can get a water block will be fine.  I can just disconnect the power to gpu loop pumps till then.

Yea I personally own Evga GTX 1080 FTW and it's been great. The only reason I might go with Asus is due to the RGB software since EVGA needs their own software, I can't get it to sync up with my Motherboard and RAM since my Motherboard is Asus and my Ram supports Aura Sync.

Fair enough.  I don't run RGB in my case, just the fans that can be seen outside of case.  Also I currently running almost the exact same card as you, the Evga GTX 1080 SC (with the cooler replace with a EKWB waterblock).  I think the only difference between our cards is yours came with a slightly higher factory OC.

EDIT:  Curious so I looked it up, yours also came with a extra 8 pin so it also capable of a higher custom OC due to having more power available.

Last edited by Cyran - on 19 August 2020

Lumen is Ray Tracing though. It is using bounce lights... It's just not hardware accelerated in the Sony demonstration.

The interesting part of Lumen however is that you can hardware accelerate one part of the lighting engine and keep the other parts as they are now, it's stupidly flexible in scaling across Ray Tracing hardware capabilities.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Cyran said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Fair enough.  I don't run RGB in my case, just the fans that can be seen outside of case.  Also I currently running almost the exact same card as you, the Evga GTX 1080 SC (with the cooler replace with a EKWB waterblock).  I think the only difference between our cards is yours came with a slightly higher factory OC.

EDIT:  Curious so I looked it up, yours also came with a extra 8 pin so it also capable of a higher custom OC due to having more power available.

Ironically I never felt the need to overclock mine... Until MS flight sim came along!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Boring 3000 series. Skipping this gen, waiting for next gen red team 4060/4070 equivalent.

Rhonin the wizard said:

Brian Mitsoda has been fired from his position as narrative lead on Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2. Ka’ai Cluney, creative director, is also no longer working on it. And Alexandre Mandryka has been brought in as creative consultant.

Paradox statement

https://www.bloodlines2.com/en/an-update-on-the-organizational-changes-for-bloodlines-2

Email to RPS from Brian Mitsoda

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/08/19/brian-mitsoda-has-been-fired-as-narrative-lead-on-bloodlines-2/

I was looking forward to the game, but I find this development worrying. I was considering pre-ordering, but now I will wait for it to release and see how it is.

Yeah, quite worrying, Mitsoda was the hook for old fans of VtMB. Then again, if I'm being honest, I was kinda worried from the start, given that both Anderson and Boyarsky were not involved. Hopefully, this new guy they've brought in (that worked on AC and FarCry, as if that is positive for game like VtMB), won't fuck things up.

green_sky said:
Boring 3000 series. Skipping this gen, waiting for next gen red team 4060/4070 equivalent.

You're better off waiting for the 5050/5060 equivalents, they're gonna be better and cheaper.

Last edited by vivster - on 20 August 2020

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Blackblaze has sharwd it's Q2 2020 hard drive stats:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q2-2020/

The Annualized Failure Rate (AFR) for Q2 2020 was 0.81% versus Q1 2020 which was 1.07%. The Q2 AFR number is the lowest AFR for any quarter since we started keeping track in 2013. In addition, this is the first time the quarterly AFR has been under 1%. One year ago (Q2 2019), the quarterly AFR was 1.8%.

During this quarter, three drive models had 0 (zero) drive failures: the Toshiba 4TB (model: MD04ABA400V), the Seagate 6TB (model: ST6000DX000) and the HGST 8TB (model: HUH728080ALE600). While the Toshiba 4TB drives recorded less than 10,000 drive days, we have not had a drive failure for that model since Q4 2018, or 54,054 drive days. In comparing drive days with the Toshiba drive, the Seagate 6TB and HGST 8TB drives are just as impressive, having no failures in the quarter yet recording 80,626 and 91,000 drive days respectively in Q2 2020.

I'd suggest you to check the link because there are more graphs.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.