By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

The PCI-E speed hit is likely due to the large amounts of compute data that Horizon is chewing through... Or lots of texture/mesh streaming from storage into the DRAM buffer.

Wait a few months for AMD and nVidia's drivers to catch up, the Decima game engine hasn't exactly had years of driver optimizations like say... Unreal Engine.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

So Horizon Zero Dawn PC performance reviews are coming in. For the most part, it's not very optimized across the board. I'd wait for some post launch patches before buying it. The weird thing is that the FAQ from the devs themselves said:

"We recommend an Intel Core i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz or an AMD Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.5GHz CPU, 16 GB of RAM and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB) or AMD Radeon RX 480 (4 GB) graphics card to run Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC at the original settings in 1080p at 60 frames per second."

However most previews atm don't see that as the case at all so there's something weird going on.

That is in ultra settings so the visuals are higher than what you would get in the original ps4 pro. The other thing that makes these reviews also a big urghh worthy is that a lot of them don't have the day 1 patch applied as most of these went out prior.

https://www.computerbase.de/2020-08/horizon-zero-dawn-benchmark-test/

One interesting thing is:

"The game makes significant use of PCIe bandwidth. Having your GPU connected via fewer than 16 PCIe lanes reduces performance to a larger degree than any other game either of us is aware of."

https://www.ign.com/articles/horizon-zero-dawn-pc-port-analysis

Some reviewers did manage to get 1080p 60fps on their 1060 but it's unclear as to how.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/08/05/horizon-zero-dawn-on-pc-comfortably-outperforms-ps4-in-this-brilliant-port/

But yea, I'd wait till they get their optimizations sorted out as it doesn't make any sense for Vega 64 to perform worse than a 590 amongst a ton of other performance issues.

The main problem I'm seeing here, is that we've already seen a comparison drawn between the trailer of the PS4 version (using the Pro) and the PC trailer, and the differences appear to be rather minute, so we know the game is more or less going to use PS4P texture detail, and shadows get a bit of a bump, as well as some LoD's, but not insanely drastic as to call it night and day, which going by the above benchmark at a mere 1080p, is making me actually believing the game to being a bad port job, because even a 2080ti is only somehow managing 80fps, just 20 more fps than 60 and this is still at 10-80p, never mind what performance is going to be like at 1440p and 4k.

I sport a 1440p monitor and use a 1080ti with an i7-6700k, so I'm not even going to expect good performance at near ultra with this port, going by those benchmarks. No wodner they jacked up the price in the end though. This is just going to end up being a shitty Sony PC port without the love and care (ayy Japanese companies tho, amarite?).

I know it still needs the day 1 patch, but I'm not expecting godlike miracles, to get that 2080ti test result going from 80-100+ fps, let alone 1440p benches seeing huge boons (like it should, because this god damn game is old already and we've got new hw now).

Last edited by Chazore - on 06 August 2020

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I had a look at my bank account balance and I'm getting into the mood to build again. I guess I'll have to wait for Zen 3.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Durante's been looking at the PC port so far for HZD, and his last paragraph got me lol:

"Overall, if all you want is 60 FPS and you have a relatively recent system and a sufficiently fast GPU for your target resolution, that should be easy enough to achieve as long as you take note of the settings and configuration requirements I pointed out in the performance deep dive section. However, chasing consistent very high framerates above that (e.g. 120 FPS) seems like a fool’s errand even on top-end hardware. Ultimately the game is a visual spectacle and the gameplay is not particularly fast-paced, so the severe sacrifices in graphics necessary to achieve even relatively consistent 120 FPS do not appear to be worth it in this case."

Also word's going around that it's not GG that was working on the port, but Virtuos studios, which has a known history of not so rgeat port jobs.

Honestly for the asking price and the fact that even high end hw is struggling with the game and no DLSS 2.0 in sight, I feel like that game is worth waiting for a deep sale. DS was clearly the superior port here.

Not a great look for a Sony first party game port job, getting the lesser studio to do the job just shows a lack of actual interest and care for an otherwise clearly lucrative platform.

Last edited by Chazore - on 06 August 2020

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

New rumours on AMD Big Navi cards. 16/12 GB variants with 4 SKU's

AMD Navi 21 ‘Big Navi’ GPU Rumored To Be Featured In 16 GB & 12 GB Radeon RX Gaming Graphics Cards - WCCFTech

According to the rumor, AMD is expected to introduce its Big Navi GPU based Radeon RX graphics cards lineup in at least two different VRAM configurations. The flagship variant is said to feature a 16 GB GDDR6 capacity while a cut-down variant is stated to feature 12 GB GDDR6 capacity. A 16 GB VRAM capacity would suggest a 512-bit bus interface for the flagship and a 384-bit bus interface for the cut-down 12 GB model.

According to rogame (a tech leaker) on Twitter AMD will be releasing 4 cards

• Navi 21 XTX (0x731F:D0)
  • Navi 21 XT (0x731F:D1)
  • Navi 21 XL (0x731F:D3)
  • Navi 21 XLE (0x731F:DF)

Looks like AMD are going head strong against Nvidia next gen. Lets hope it works out for them. For all our wallets sake lol.

AMD’s Next-Gen Ryzen 9 4950X / 5950X ‘Vermeer’ AM4 Desktop CPU With 16 Zen 3 Cores Spotted, Engineering Sample Boosts Up To 4.8 GHz

https://wccftech.com/amds-ryzen-9-4950x-5950x-vermeer-desktop-cpu-16-zen-3-cores-4-8-ghz-boost-clock/

GeForce RTX 2070 Super Mobile & RTX 2080 Super Mobile Performance Review

https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeForce-RTX-2070-Super-RTX-2080-Super-Performance-Review.481393.0.html

Usually 10% faster, sometimes 20% and sometimes even slower than the non super versions but all depends on the TDP that they choose and cooling of the laptop. Generally best to save the money and get non-super versions as they should be discounted.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

hinch said:

New rumours on AMD Big Navi cards. 16/12 GB variants with 4 SKU's

AMD Navi 21 ‘Big Navi’ GPU Rumored To Be Featured In 16 GB & 12 GB Radeon RX Gaming Graphics Cards - WCCFTech

According to the rumor, AMD is expected to introduce its Big Navi GPU based Radeon RX graphics cards lineup in at least two different VRAM configurations. The flagship variant is said to feature a 16 GB GDDR6 capacity while a cut-down variant is stated to feature 12 GB GDDR6 capacity. A 16 GB VRAM capacity would suggest a 512-bit bus interface for the flagship and a 384-bit bus interface for the cut-down 12 GB model.

According to rogame (a tech leaker) on Twitter AMD will be releasing 4 cards

• Navi 21 XTX (0x731F:D0)
  • Navi 21 XT (0x731F:D1)
  • Navi 21 XL (0x731F:D3)
  • Navi 21 XLE (0x731F:DF)

Looks like AMD are going head strong against Nvidia next gen. Lets hope it works out for them. For all our wallets sake lol.

I sure hope so. What's annoying me is other than their top tier Navi, we haven't heard anything else from the leakers. It's always that 80CU part where as we effectively heard Nvidia's entire lineup by now loll. Of course all that means is AMD is better at keeping their RDNA2 underwraps but man, I'd like some more info.

Chazore said:

Durante's been looking at the PC port so far for HZD, and his last paragraph got me lol:

"Overall, if all you want is 60 FPS and you have a relatively recent system and a sufficiently fast GPU for your target resolution, that should be easy enough to achieve as long as you take note of the settings and configuration requirements I pointed out in the performance deep dive section. However, chasing consistent very high framerates above that (e.g. 120 FPS) seems like a fool’s errand even on top-end hardware. Ultimately the game is a visual spectacle and the gameplay is not particularly fast-paced, so the severe sacrifices in graphics necessary to achieve even relatively consistent 120 FPS do not appear to be worth it in this case."

Also word's going around that it's not GG that was working on the port, but Virtuos studios, which has a known history of not so rgeat port jobs.

Honestly for the asking price and the fact that even high end hw is struggling with the game and no DLSS 2.0 in sight, I feel like that game is worth waiting for a deep sale. DS was clearly the superior port here.

Not a great look for a Sony first party game port job, getting the lesser studio to do the job just shows a lack of actual interest and care for an otherwise clearly lucrative platform.

Yea I might get a refund if the issues are as bad as the tests suggest. It looks like those that were able to get 60 fps on a 1060 just ran the benchmark which apparently just goes through a mostly empty desert with not much foliage.

According to DF on resetera as they are making their own video about this. There's like two performance settings which setting them to the highest quality has a big performance hit. But setting them to high has minimal visual differences while gaining a noticeable performance back. But yea, overall, terrible port, specially when you look at their FAQ:

Known Issues
  • Anisotropic Filtering settings are not working. This is a high priority issue for us to resolve.
  • Some systems may experience a brief stutter during general world traversal, UI updates, quest updates, or camera swaps in cutscenes. This is a high priority issue for us to investigate.
  • Some animations are designed to only refresh at 30fps even if the game is running at a much higher frame rate. We are exploring how we can improve this with a future update.

^ Yeah looks like AMD have more information closed off - perhaps a stricter NDA? We've had a lot of Nvidia leaks as of late.

And idd, I'm personally more interested in the upper tier mainstream card thats in competition with the 3070/3060, as I'm planning to buy ones of those. At least we don't have to worry about VRAM going forward heh.