By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 architect Mark Cerny hopes PlayStation's legacy can match Nintendo's

I'd honestly love to see Nintendo and Sony team up rather than compete. Nintendo can spearhead the handheld side, Sony could help Nintendo with consoles, which aside from about 3 years with the Wii have been a struggle since the SNES.

I'd like to be able to get Nintendo/Sony/3rd party content all on one console and ditto for one handheld. Perhaps even Sony/Nintendo branded smartphones that play games too. I'd ditch my Galaxy S4 in a heartbeat for that.

Around the Network

That's a misleading title, he said continuity of staff. I'd assume he probably believes the Playstation legacy has already far surpassed Nintendo's like many people do.

Wyrdness said:
veritaz said:

You are comparing the top selling games on Nintendo consoles that are very old ips to new ones from Sony. Gran Turismo, Uncharted, main god of war games all sell very well and Uncharted was an ip from this gen. Sony makes a ton of new ips and keeps the old ones that are influential and sell really well like Gran Turismo and god of war. Sony has the legacy with it's games and outsells a ton of Nintendo ips with critical aclaim as well. It's just that Sony can not match the Mario IP in legacy and sales while it can match and pass everything else except for Smash. Mario is just way to much of a cultural icon.

Not really, even if you took out Mario and Smash you have games like Zelda which average 5m, Donkey Kong sold about 6m, Animal Crossing which isn't even an old IP sold 11m, Pokemon was created in 96 about a year before Gran Turismo and it shifts 15-20m on average. In Sales power Nintendo's first party are just a force.

I was thinking along the lines of consoles so I forgot about animal crossing and pokemon. But zelda and donkey kong is not a stronger example.

Shut up and make a new Crash Bandicoot game!

Nintendo and PC gamer

Most 1st party gamea are not good enough...yet

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Figgycal said:

Part of the reason playstation characters don't have as much relevance as nintendo characters is that they don't have nearly the amount of games their nintendo counterparts have. How many games with mario were released in the past 3 years alone. The only series that follows that model on the ps3 is ratchet and clank and those games have been going downhill for the past few titles- not to mention the lack of promotion from sony.

What makes Nintendo's legacy almost unmatchable is the company's consistency, whether someone likes Mario, Zelda and so on or not the games are still maintaining 90+ averages even after over 30 years of the company being in the industry, the flaw in saying that the are more games is that games like Zelda for instance only have 14 installments over 27 years while in the same time Metroid only has 11 titles, in the last decade we've had 7 GOW titles, 10 Halo games and 12 Ratchet and Clank games. Think of a game like Last of Us now think of a company pumping out games of that calibur for decades across different eras of gaming and that's the type of legacy we're talking about, the Ratchet and Clank point you bring up highlights Nintendo's consistency and handling of their library.

Zelda may have had 14 games over 27 years, but from 2001 to 2013; there's been 9 zelda games (not counting the remakes or re-releases) - with 2 more being announced for the near future.

Looking at how many Mario games there were for the same time period is too many to count ). The number of Mario games still outnumber the number those of every exclusive IP on the playstation combined during the same time period- that's not even counting the 15+ year headstart.

I always assumed nintendo characters remained relevant because: coming out with the same game and characters over many generations creates mindshare- thus making those characters more recognizable and keeping the games relevant. The main reason Crash Bandicoot and Jak and Daxter and Sly Cooper became irrelevant was because those developers went on to make new ip's rather than rehashing old ones. It had nothing to do with the actual quality of the games- because there are plenty of mario games that fall well below 90 on metacritic. And how many of nintendo's current games are new ip's?

And 2:  They aim towards a younger audience that is constantly being replaced. There's always going to be an audience for Mario and the like because there's always gonna be kids buying and growing up with the brand and when those kids are older they'll still be playing it, because they grew up on the game.

It's the same tactic call of duty and pokemon use: make a new game every year and every year it'll grow because there are new people constantly being introduced to it and in addition, there's always going to be the large fanbase that will buy it anyways.

Also ratchet and clank have been going downhill because sony don't promote the games like they should. They're still great games. And if I'm not wrong: every Halo game does better than the previous.

DietSoap said:
That's a misleading title, he said continuity of staff. I'd assume he probably believes the Playstation legacy has already far surpassed Nintendo's like many people do.

Click HERE and be happy 

I like this.

Sony's really playing it smart so far going into the 8th gen. They seem to have nailed the harware with the PS4 from a development standpoint, their representatives are saying all the right things regarding public relations...

At first I was just planning to buy a nice gaming PC to go along with my WiiU but it's looking more and more likely that I'll also be picking up the PS4 somewhere down the line.

I think Sony's hardware is absolutely amazing, but they just don't have those iconic 1st party games and franchises like Nintendo does. Sony have tried and they keep trying but nothing seems to have caught on to Nintendo's level. I look forward to seeing even more great new IPs from them.

with ps1 and ps2 they probably have a bigger legacy than Nintendo home console wise but Nintendi is far above them in the handheld department