By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 architect Mark Cerny hopes PlayStation's legacy can match Nintendo's

Soleron said:
I love what he's done with the hardware, but to match Nintendo's legacy you need outstanding first-party software. And Knack doesn't set a good precedent judging from the previews - it's just 'OK'.

Sony already has outstanding first party software now, unless you are just talking about the games he is working on.

Around the Network

Until they can create and release a mascot or IP that is a best seller for 30 straight YEARS? Not, gonna, happen.

That's part of the reason I want knack to do well. It has a lot backing it. A lot of people were hoping sackboy to be a maskot and no... not with the sales of little big planet 2.

veritaz said:
Soleron said:
I love what he's done with the hardware, but to match Nintendo's legacy you need outstanding first-party software. And Knack doesn't set a good precedent judging from the previews - it's just 'OK'.

Sony already has outstanding first party software now, unless you are just talking about the games he is working on.

They just don't sell all that much compared to Nintendo. "Legacy" needs to be not just a critical one but an cultural one - get millions of people to have it in their homes and love it.

To take the most obvious example, I know people like LBP, but it's not Mario. And LBP Kart is not Mario Kart, and PSASBR is not Smash. No one could currently say the Sony one was more influential.

RolStoppable said:
It's doubtful that Sony will ever come close to the continuity of Nintendo. Their IPs already have a hard time to stay relevant for a decade, so multiple times more than that is out of reach.

It's actually quite easy to judge the legacy of any given company. You just need to look at the sales of games that bring all the IPs together.

Part of the reason playstation characters don't have as much relevance as nintendo characters is that they don't have nearly the amount of games their nintendo counterparts have. How many games with mario were released in the past 3 years alone. The only series that follows that model on the ps3 is ratchet and clank and those games have been going downhill for the past few titles- not to mention the lack of promotion from sony.

Around the Network
Soleron said:
veritaz said:
Soleron said:

They just don't sell all that much compared to Nintendo. "Legacy" needs to be not just a critical one but an cultural one - get millions of people to have it in their homes and love it.

To take the most obvious example, I know people like LBP, but it's not Mario. And LBP Kart is not Mario Kart, and PSASBR is not Smash. No one could currently say the Sony one was more influential.

LBP doesn't have the same power that Crash had; I'd say that was the closest thing they had to a Mario figure. And crash was pretty big, but of course, just like everything else- he fell into obscurity along with Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, and Jak and Daxter.

Soleron said:
veritaz said:
Soleron said:

You are comparing the top selling games on Nintendo consoles that are very old ips to new ones from Sony. Gran Turismo, Uncharted, main god of war games all sell very well and Uncharted was an ip from this gen. Sony makes a ton of new ips and keeps the old ones that are influential and sell really well like Gran Turismo and god of war. Sony has the legacy with it's games and outsells a ton of Nintendo ips with critical aclaim as well. It's just that Sony can not match the Mario IP in legacy and sales while it can match and pass everything else except for Smash. Mario is just way to much of a cultural icon.

Figgycal said:

Part of the reason playstation characters don't have as much relevance as nintendo characters is that they don't have nearly the amount of games their nintendo counterparts have. How many games with mario were released in the past 3 years alone. The only series that follows that model on the ps3 is ratchet and clank and those games have been going downhill for the past few titles- not to mention the lack of promotion from sony.

What makes Nintendo's legacy almost unmatchable is the company's consistency, whether someone likes Mario, Zelda and so on or not the games are still maintaining 90+ averages even after over 30 years of the company being in the industry, the flaw in saying that the are more games is that games like Zelda for instance only have 14 installments over 27 years while in the same time Metroid only has 11 titles, in the last decade we've had 7 GOW titles, 10 Halo games and 12 Ratchet and Clank games. Think of a game like Last of Us now think of a company pumping out games of that calibur for decades across different eras of gaming and that's the type of legacy we're talking about, the Ratchet and Clank point you bring up highlights Nintendo's consistency and handling of their library.

Suke said:

In my view, Sony already have that form of legacy, I personally wish they create more IPs like Sackboy or Ratchet and Clank and give the rated M, realism games a break.

Looks like Sony plan to change that by releasing Knack.

I would love Ratchet, Sly and Sackboy on PS4

veritaz said:

You are comparing the top selling games on Nintendo consoles that are very old ips to new ones from Sony. Gran Turismo, Uncharted, main god of war games all sell very well and Uncharted was an ip from this gen. Sony makes a ton of new ips and keeps the old ones that are influential and sell really well like Gran Turismo and god of war. Sony has the legacy with it's games and outsells a ton of Nintendo ips with critical aclaim as well. It's just that Sony can not match the Mario IP in legacy and sales while it can match and pass everything else except for Smash. Mario is just way to much of a cultural icon.

Not really, even if you took out Mario and Smash you have games like Zelda which average 5m, Donkey Kong sold about 6m, Animal Crossing which isn't even an old IP sold 11m, Pokemon was created in 96 about a year before Gran Turismo and it shifts 15-20m on average. In Sales power Nintendo's first party are just a force.