By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why are U.S Weekly charts Next Gen only ??

Since VG Chets has shifted over to the weekly format. PS2 software numbers are not being tracked. God of War 2 seems to be the only exception. Without the PS2 software sales it gives a very skewed image of the video game sales. Even GBA s/w and h/w charts are not being included.

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>

Around the Network

cause we discuss next gen sales =), no use what so ever to put in ps2 or GBA

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

It really doesn't make sense to track that data since nobody really cares about it, and you will still get the NPD data for NA and Media Crate for Japan anyway. We want the current gen systems. Now the exception is if a big game is released for PS2 it is worth seeing those sales. And that is the only last gen system getting releases that will still have huge sales.

What are these weekly sales based on ioi? A couple retail sources or projections based on last month NPD?

I'm assuming the the former. However, weren't the vgchartz weekly sales pretty unreliable last month? Didn't Vgchartz have 360 at 337k last month before NPD and then NPD was only 199k?

sharky said:

What are these weekly sales based on ioi? A couple retail sources or projections based on last month NPD?

I'm assuming the the former. However, weren't the vgchartz weekly sales pretty unreliable last month? Didn't Vgchartz have 360 at 337k last month before NPD and then NPD was only 199k?

I believe its the former, but as with any small sample you use to project data, any skewing in your sample will end up being magnified, so if their retailers sold extra 360's you could see how their projections would be skewed

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
sharky said:

I believe its the former, but as with any small sample you use to project data, any skewing in your sample will end up being magnified, so if their retailers sold extra 360's you could see how their projections would be skewed

Right and I hope they can refine their algorithms to be more accurate so these weeklynumbers begin to mean something. We will see.

Even if it's hard to track all the PS2 games (which I am interested in, as I have multiple consoles and nothing against buying a game for an older console). That said, I am even more interested in PS2 system sales. In March, it sold more then Wii and all of the other consoles. AFAIK, April's numbers are not publically available yet. Hope that's some of the data coming next week... As PS3 can in for the most part play PS2 games, sales of new PS2 systems could be an indication of people interested in a PS3 waiting for the price to fall. I think it's fair to compare sales of PS2+PS3 to GC+Wii... Besides, this is vgcharts, not nexgenwars... we should discuss all video games even if the focus is on the newer systems.

okay if it is a problem to track them induvidually, fine but PS2/GBA titles in the the top 25 charts should be included. TMNT would have sold a whole lot more on the GBA, PS2 compared to other consoles. Try to include total h/w and s/w sales of the PS2 and GBA in the total weekly sales. I thought this website was vgcharts not nexgenwars.

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>

LMFAO, the banner for this website says "The Most Comprehensive Videogame Charts in the World" and you don't even include PS2 games? Anyone else see the irony in that?

jlauro said:
Even if it's hard to track all the PS2 games (which I am interested in, as I have multiple consoles and nothing against buying a game for an older console). That said, I am even more interested in PS2 system sales. In March, it sold more then Wii and all of the other consoles. AFAIK, April's numbers are not publically available yet. Hope that's some of the data coming next week... As PS3 can in for the most part play PS2 games, sales of new PS2 systems could be an indication of people interested in a PS3 waiting for the price to fall. I think it's fair to compare sales of PS2+PS3 to GC+Wii... Besides, this is vgcharts, not nexgenwars... we should discuss all video games even if the focus is on the newer systems.

Last gen system sales indicate people, who are not going to buy current gen consoles in a couple of years. PS3 can play some (most?) of the PS2 games, but PS2 can play them all. It's more like PS2 buyers are definately not going to buy PS3 in a while. This doesn't mean that they wouldn't be buying 360 or Wii (still propably not), but PS3 is pretty much out of the question for them (for the next few years). It's a pity that they don't track last gen sales, but it's understandable.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.