By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Recouping Hardware Losses THrough Software Price-Hike

Traditionally games produced by the hardware manufacturer were $10 cheaper than third party titles because 1st Party software doesn't have to pay the licensing fee. Since MS broke with that tradition with little backlash, Sony would be foolish not to follow suit. If they ever hope to make up their losses, it will be from software.

Around the Network
Flymolo said:
N64 carts were $60 as well.

American dollars? I NEVER saw any N64 game priced above $50 (US) ever.

Anecdotal evidence for the win  

Currently playing: Civ 6

Also... if sales of Sony games are(were) 10 dollars cheaper then regular games... is it fair to assume that 10 dollars is around the liscenseing fee that sony demands?

Darc Requiem said:
Traditionally games produced by the hardware manufacturer were $10 cheaper than third party titles because 1st Party software doesn't have to pay the licensing fee. Since MS broke with that tradition with little backlash, Sony would be foolish not to follow suit. If they ever hope to make up their losses, it will be from software.

I think the only reason MS didn't receive much backlash is because their games still didn't break $60.

cdude1034 said:
Flymolo said:

Goldeneye was $69 when I bought it the day of release but the price came down quick.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
cdude1034 said:
Flymolo said:

Goldeneye was $69 when I bought it the day of release but the price came down quick.

Wow...Why don't I remember that? Oh yeah, because I was...9 or 10. lol

Oh well, I guess it's best I don't remember.

On topic, Sony's just doing what they have to do. Nothing wrong with it. 

Currently playing: Civ 6

I paid $89.99 CDN for Ogre Battle 64. What the hell is wrong with me?

I also remember SNES carts such as FFVI, Chrono Trigger, and Super Street Fighter II retailing for $99.99. Ridiculous.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

konnichiwa said:
When we (or I) were young we spend 50$ on games that you could finish a couple of hours so I don't have a problem with spending 60-70$ for a game now when I can play it for more than 10 hours...
My boy, you had a shitty childhood. When *I* Was a kid, I'd pay 30-40 for a game and play it for dozens upon dozens of hours. 

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

GooseGaws said:
I paid $89.99 CDN for Ogre Battle 64. What the hell is wrong with me?

I also remember SNES carts such as FFVI, Chrono Trigger, and Super Street Fighter II retailing for $99.99. Ridiculous.
 That's what people outside the US still have to pay. (If they're daft enough to buy in a bricks and mortar shop that is.)

Faxanadu said:
superchunk said:
No biggie. Just matching the already expected price of PS3 games. Seems kinda dumb they were lower than 3rd parties in the first place.

Finally, a good PR person from Sony. Speak the truth and it will set you free.

Dont know. Nintendo games are much cheaper than sega games on the wii.

Really? Wow PAL is definitely different from NA. All games here are essentially the same price for any respective console. You have the occasional game like Zack & Wiki that's cheaper, but, mostly all are priced the same.