By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Respawn Entertainment gives more detail about the Cloud and Titanfall

ethomaz said:

Alpha Till said:

There are, as the developer mentioned, dozens of AI-soldiers. That would be possible without the cloud as well, but remembering online gaming this gen, as soon as the host had to calculate lots of AI instances and transmit their data to clients, significant lags became more common (obviously depended on the hosts bandwith).

In a way these AI soldiers are part of the game hosting, so the answer might not satisfy you. But it makes the gameplay unique.

Any game with dedicated server on PS360 or PC works like that...

MAG, SOCOM, Battlefield, etc... all these games do that.

I agree dedicated servers are better than P2P but what is new in the Cloud?

And no... it won't change the gameplay.

As far as I remember, MAG, SOCOM and Battlefield don't have AI soldiers. Furthermore, Titanfall's gameplay is unique regarding the fact that there is a certain amount of human players (6 vs. 6) and a certain amount of AI controlled players (don't know how many). There are games this gen that had AI controlled players (Black Ops 2, Quake Live Arena, etc.) in Online Multiplayer, but as far as I know, there was no FPS in which those AI controlled players didn't just replace human players. So that would be new in Titanfall.

You are correct, for Titanfall the Cloud seems to be used solely as dedicated servers, what would have been somewhat possible this gen already. But that not only frees the gameplay from the limitiations of the hosts bandwith, but also from the limitations of the hosts processing power, because the host doesn't have to compute the AI behaviour. We will see, how complex that behaviour will be.

In the end the Cloud is just a big dedicated server, but what I get from that developer highlighting the benefits is that there is a comfortable API for developers to offload stuff. That is very different from dedicated servers today, where there would run an altered host version of the game that communcates with the clients and everything has to be set up by the developers.

bizarre-galaxy.de - My Browsergame, but sadly only in german :(

You can play as an octopus, though!

Around the Network

One of those 360 complaints that is finally addressed.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I personally talked to both Microsoft and Sony and explained that we need to find a way to have potentially hundreds-of-thousands of dedicated servers at a price point that you can’t get right now. Microsoft realized that player-hosted servers are actually holding back online gaming and that this is something that they could help solve, and ran full-speed with this idea.

Did they pass on the Soy consoles because they got a better deal on MS cloud or lets keep waiting for the game in 2015. 

BTW, MS is going to make tons of money with this cloud thing. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

They laid it all out. I don't know how anyone could still be pretending to not understand the many benfits cloud computing.

Great job Microsoft. XBOX One should be awesome!

And people will still try to down play the cloud.

Around the Network
JusSayian said:

They already are. This thread should be 10 pages my now considering all the people who were "questiong" the cloud. Now they have answers. Good ones. No where to be found.

Just_Rocco said:
JusSayian said:

They already are. This thread should be 10 pages my now considering all the people who were "questiong" the cloud. Now they have answers. Good ones. No where to be found.

Its because it's good news, give it some time someone will find a way to spin this in a negative light it's the internet after all. 

Alpha Till said:
ethomaz said:

Alpha Till said:

There are, as the developer mentioned, dozens of AI-soldiers. That would be possible without the cloud as well, but remembering online gaming this gen, as soon as the host had to calculate lots of AI instances and transmit their data to clients, significant lags became more common (obviously depended on the hosts bandwith).

In a way these AI soldiers are part of the game hosting, so the answer might not satisfy you. But it makes the gameplay unique.

Any game with dedicated server on PS360 or PC works like that...

MAG, SOCOM, Battlefield, etc... all these games do that.

I agree dedicated servers are better than P2P but what is new in the Cloud?

And no... it won't change the gameplay.

As far as I remember, MAG, SOCOM and Battlefield don't have AI soldiers. Furthermore, Titanfall's gameplay is unique regarding the fact that there is a certain amount of human players (6 vs. 6) and a certain amount of AI controlled players (don't know how many). There are games this gen that had AI controlled players (Black Ops 2, Quake Live Arena, etc.) in Online Multiplayer, but as far as I know, there was no FPS in which those AI controlled players didn't just replace human players. So that would be new in Titanfall.

You are correct, for Titanfall the Cloud seems to be used solely as dedicated servers, what would have been somewhat possible this gen already. But that not only frees the gameplay from the limitiations of the hosts bandwith, but also from the limitations of the hosts processing power, because the host doesn't have to compute the AI behaviour. We will see, how complex that behaviour will be.

In the end the Cloud is just a big dedicated server, but what I get from that developer highlighting the benefits is that there is a comfortable API for developers to offload stuff. That is very different from dedicated servers today, where there would run an altered host version of the game that communcates with the clients and everything has to be set up by the developers.

MS built the Orleans platform to to offload console processing to the cloud if a developer so wish to do.  This is different from what most dedicated servers do as they just run an instance of a multiplayer client on the servers.  MS Orleans platform allows developers to program directly to the cloud platform where they can utilze the cloud ability to process pieces and parts to build that game world instance.  I believe the singleplayer and MP was suppose to be integrated within Titan Fall.  It should be interesting to see how this game turns out and what Respawn can do with MS cloud compute.

psrock said:

I personally talked to both Microsoft and Sony and explained that we need to find a way to have potentially hundreds-of-thousands of dedicated servers at a price point that you can’t get right now. Microsoft realized that player-hosted servers are actually holding back online gaming and that this is something that they could help solve, and ran full-speed with this idea.

Did they pass on the Soy consoles because they got a better deal on MS cloud or lets keep waiting for the game in 2015. 

Well, if you are building a MP only game and one company gives you their services for pennies and another service you have to build your own.  On PSN, Sony does not run dedicated servers for 3rd party companies.  Those companies would have to either purchase their own or role with someone like Amazon which could be expensive. 

psrock said:

Well, that is ... one way to look at this.  Another way that is more in line with the actual information in the OP is that we as gamers are fortunate that Microsoft has been building out this Azure cloud network for years and it'll be something that developers can take advantage of to make games more awesome for us.