By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Theory: Microsoft did not change DRM to please us

a company will do what will bring most cash in their opinion. and if microsoft, nintendo, sony or wasa knäckebrot think customers will be ok with something (like drm) they will implement it.

microsoft thought so, sony and nintendo not with sony using the online pass as only measurement which doesn't seem to hurt the sales of the games or console.

no huge company is there for “us“, they are there for their own business and look what they can do to get the best financial results.

Around the Network

Any change of this magnitude was discussed no later than immediately after E3. The execs knew the reversal was coming, but it takes a few weeks to come out.

This was not in reponse to any single news event. You overestimate the internet's importance still.

Who knows the back-room details, but an interesting observation is that prior to the xbox reveal, the internet was awash with hearsay and rumours about the xbox and always online DRM. And now it's wall to wall free press that the xbox does not have online DRM, to the extent that even the most distantly interested who heard a rumour would be aware of the fact now.

And MS hasn't even started advertising.

NiKKoM said:
even if MS, Sony or Nintendo would give free blowjobs to everyone they still couldn't please some..

would you be happy if balmer gave you a blowjob? ........... ohh wait, this is you... never mind

(i joke, i joke)

crissindahouse said:
a company will do what will bring most cash in their opinion. and if microsoft, nintendo, sony or wasa knäckebrot think customers will be ok with something (like drm) they will implement it.

microsoft thought so, sony and nintendo not with sony using the online pass as only measurement which doesn't seem to hurt the sales of the games or console.

no huge company is there for “us“, they are there for their own business and look what they can do to get the best financial results.

shut your filthy mouth!! wasa knäckebrot loves me as a consumer and will never ever betray my trust and love!! im a wasa knäckebrot fanboy for life! 

*starts chanting "wasa! wasa! wasa!*

Around the Network

Lol...what world do you live in? Not reality based...

Microsofts responsibilities are to make money, generate profit, keep shareholders happy, employ 100,000+ people, and stay relevant as a company.

Pleasing gamers they really couldn't give 2 shits about nor should they. They need to make decisions that are best for their company.

lt_dan_27 said:

On wednesday, Microsoft announced that they were getting rid of DRM because that's what people wanted. Now this will definitely help with sales, but I have another reason for why they did it. On thursday, it came out that the family share plan was nothing more than a glorfied demo service. Microsoft noticed that that's the only thing people were excited about with the DRM deal, and they were not clear with what it was (as in they blatantly lied. They waited to long to clarify what it was, and realized it would be the final nail in the xbox one's coffin if they announced "you guys misunderstood what family sharing is!" If they announced what it truly was at the reveal, noone would have carerd, just a useless feature. But the fact that they made it sound like you esentially share your library with your family and best friends, that almost makes DRM worth it. If they would have pulled that rug from under us, we would have never trusted microsoft again. So instead they offloaded the blame on us by saying "you got what you wanted, but we can't do the share thing anymore sorry!" 

So... They didnt get rid of the drm  to please us... Because they knew the family share plan would displease us?  ...do you even understand what you point you are making?

They did it since Gamestop stopped taking preorders for Xbox Ones.

The theory is somewhat credible. It also makes sense why they scrapped it entirely, when they easily couldve stuck with family share for digital. I was wondering why they pivoted so hard, losing family share was completely unnecessary.

At theprof, that's what I was trying to get at. The biggest reason was because gamestop stopped doing preorders I think though. Looking at articles, gamestop really was taking a stance against microsoft's policies. Which make sense because gamestop makes a lot of money through used games.